Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche questions for moving to south dublin

Options
  • 07-07-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I will need to get a creche spot for my 2 yr old in south dublin in the next few months, preferably in the D18 area. We're organising to move home from the USA as I've been diagnosed with cancer and we'll need family support to get through my treatment. As we've been living abroad, I have no idea about how things work in Irish creches. I'd really appreciate any information you can give me to help find a place in a creche for my son.

Can you tell me your experience of:

Prices to expect (even approximate price for 5 full days would help)?
    Options for full days, half days, 3-4-5 days per week - are creches usually flexible with 4-day week? or just mornings?
    how long are waiting lists in that area?
    what to look for in terms of quality certs etc?
    is there a registry of creches or something?

I searched the forums here but couldn't find info to answer my questions fully.

Any other info and advice is very welcome!!

Thanks a million

MIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi,
    Our son has been in the UCD crèche, it's fantastic. He's very happy there, and has developed loads. Full time it's c. 950 a month for my 3 year old. They don't offer reduced rates for 4 days etc, but maybe half time if there is another child who attends during the other half of week. Best to check with them. There is usually a waiting list- new kids normally start over the summer. However, you never know, they might be able to help, or if not, they'll keep your info on record and be in touch later (they did with us).
    Hope all goes well with your treatment. Let me know if you want to find out more about this creche.

scaryfairy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Our son has been in the UCD crèche, it's fantastic. He's very happy there, and has developed loads. Full time it's c. 950 a month for my 3 year old. They don't offer reduced rates for 4 days etc, but maybe half time if there is another child who attends during the other half of week. Best to check with them. There is usually a waiting list- new kids normally start over the summer. However, you never know, they might be able to help, or if not, they'll keep your info on record and be in touch later (they did with us).
    Hope all goes well with your treatment. Let me know if you want to find out more about this creche.

We looked at this crèche for my daughter! It seemed good! But was booked out when we were looking for her. So we went on a waiting list. Never got in tho as were looking for part time. Ive heard great things about it and the grounds are lovely!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We looked at this crèche for my daughter! It seemed good! But was booked out when we were looking for her. So we went on a waiting list. Never got in tho as were looking for part time. Ive heard great things about it and the grounds are lovely!

yes, it's great - we are so lucky. I think they really mostly cater for people working full time and working in UCD or living nearby, and probalby it is always harder for crèches to make up the staff numbers when kids come part time - this is a real pity.

You also get to know a lot of the parents, so could discuss if there were any issues (there haven't been any) and can come to pick your child any time, to talk the Manager etc.
    my son is sprinting to the door when we get there and usually spends half an hour outside with the other kids, after creche, climbing trees! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks scaryfairy. I'd heard of the UCD one before but totally forgot about it! I'll check it out.

S

just realised you mentioned preferably D18 - for some reason I read it as D4-14..
    anyhow, still around UCD, my friend's daughters go to the Teresian school, and they have a preschool, from the age of 2. She has been very happy with them (both girls through preschool, older one just finished junior infant)

http://teresian.ie/

No you're right, I had D14 first by mistake and then edit it to D18, but all those mentioned are within range. Thanks!

No you're right, I had D14 first by mistake and then edit it to D18, but all those mentioned are within range. Thanks!

I have my girl listed for teresians for September. They take from 2yo up girls and boys in preschool. It's €185 per week for 8.30am-3pm or €230 until 6pm Monday-Friday. We aren't going to accept our place as we don't need full time. But the teachers there were lovely.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for all the info here. We got our little fella into a crèche near us, thanks to a suggestion here. All the best, MiA and R.

• Advertisement

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for all the info here. We got our little fella into a crèche near us, thanks to a suggestion here. All the best, MiA and R.

That's great MIA. Hope the move went ok and you are doing well.

Advertisement