Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat suddenly terrified of being outside

• 07-07-2016 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

For some reason, Dude has become utterly terrified of being outside.
    We had him at the vet on Monday evening as he has a hot spot on his back. He got an antibiotic injection to last 2 weeks, and steroids. He was also confined to the cone of shame.
    After the first night (so tuesday morning) came down to discover the utility covered in vomit, poor dude covered in pee and still having an extremely full bladder.
    He had a bath, was given ID food to settle his tummy and given time out of the cone. All this time he was mad to go outside but we couldn't let him til he healed a bit.
    Yesterday evening I got home from work and decided to bring him out on his lead and harness for a while. Put the harness on, he walked to the back door, I opened it and he froze. I lifted him outside (probably the wrong thing to do looking back) and he flipped completely, growling at me. (for anyone who doesn't know Dude, the only other time he's ever growled at me was after getting hit by a car as a kitten - VERY out of character for him.)
    He ran back inside so I thought I'd just leave the back door open and see if he would come out alone. After about 20 minutes he ran as fast as he could out of the house and into the shed, went up into the rafters of the roof and sat there for 3 hours til we actually physically brought him down and back into the house.
    The same thing happened today, he's been running back and forth between the house and the shed, absolutely freaking if anything (IE the dog) is blocking his way.
    I have absolutely NO idea what's caused him to be like this. All the other animals are fine, nothing new whatsoever in the garden. I've sprayed some pet remedy and given him rescue remedy to see if it helps, but would anyone have any other tips on how to help him with this?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Has it coincided with the vet visit and getting the medication? Could it be related to feeling off colour or strange because of the meds and not necessarily suddenly being afraid of outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Possibly, I don't think he's off colour because when he's in the house he's still full of beans, eating, drinking, trying to murder me in my sleep. It's only outside that the behaviour has changed. Maybe it's a side effect from the steroid or something, I might not give it tomorrow and see if that helps him settle more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Is he still wearing the cone? If so, then I'd guess that would be the issue. If not, then it could be he's just changed his mind about wanting to go out. We have one that did that - was originally an outside feral who went missing for 2 weeks - she turned up in a dreadful state; starving, lost loads of weight and one of her front legs paralysed from what the vet thought was a snare injury...

We had her in the house to recover and she never wanted to go out again so we didn't make her. Funnily enough - she was outside for about 5 mins last night - with me, once all the other cats were shut in. She's always been able to go out if she wanted - back door generally open a lot during the day - and she would on occasion sit on the back step and look out and then just head in again. Her going out accompanied has only just started to happen. She's been a voluntary indoor cats now for about 9 years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you know what caused the hotspot? Could he have been bitten, or stung outside, and so that is what is scaring him?

Nope we took the cone off because I think that was stressing him more.
    I suppose it is possible that he's just decided he doesn't like the outdoor life anymore, which would be unfortunate as my dad won't leave him in the house full time because of the incontinance (the cat - not my dad!!)
    I'd love for him to be inside full time, and voluntary too so he wouldn't be constantly trying to escape.
    Today he's out in the shed again and he seems happy to go out there, he's just sleeping on the freezer! But even carrying him from the shed to the house, less than 5 foot, he gets scared.
    Muddypaws, I think it was a ragwort plant that stung him as it looked like a blister in the beginning, but he got that on Friday/Saturday, went outside on Sunday no problem, this just started after the vets visit.
    And now all 3 cats have been puking :( maybe it's the heat is the problem for all of them?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

He could have gotten a fright outside. My cat has done something similar - my theory is that someone/something tried to hurt him. He came in like a bottle-brush and didn't want to go outside for weeks. He was doing that skin shiver thing too, he didn't want rubs for a few days - he just wanted to sit in a corner.

He got over it though and is now happy to sit outside on a wall or whatever.

It does seem as though something spooked him, though it just doesn't make sense to me how bad he got to quick, even after getting hit by a car before he was mad to get back outside as soon as he got home from the vets, and even after spending 2 months indoors that time he had no problem going back out!
    Stopped all medications and everything besides his antibiotic today to see if that'll help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Tux is in/out all day, and she comes in at night to sleep in the house.
    She comes in around midnight.
    A few weeks back, she was VERY scared of going out - spent a few days in the house, not going out at all. I reckon there was a visiting cat that spooked her, as heard cat-screaming one night around that time.
    Shes now back to her routine, in/out/in/out/in/out :D all day long
    So maybe Dude will be the same. Poor old thing has really been in the wars.

He went outside this morning no problem and didn't hide in the shed! I'd say it was the steroid making him paranoid

Now he's gone missing :( he'd always be home by 1 latest, and not come home at all tonight. Gone out of my mind with worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Did he come home eventually?
    It was a warm humid night here, even home loving cats love to be out nights like that.
    Really hope he's home with you now.

No sign of him today either, it's his first night ever outside :(

Oh no. Are you sure that he couldn't have got into the shed by himself, and he's hiding in there? Do you have neighbours, and if so, could you ask them to check their sheds and garages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Oh nooo. Hopefully he'll show up today with this "So what! I was busy doing cat stuff" look

He's definitely not in any of our out houses and my parents have asked neighbors to keep an eye so hopefully he will show up at some stage today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

HATE when they stay away like that - hope hes home soon. (The biggest worry with cats - dogs never do this stuff :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Hope he lands home soon, let us know when he gets in, I'm sure I'm not the only one worrying along with you x
    My dads cat has done this a few time to punish my dad if he goes away for the night or he has to bring the cat to the vet, we didn't realise he was just hiding until I spotted him poking his head out from under a hedge when dad shouted him he went back into hiding, cats can be sneaky sometimes....

He's back and he's fine, haven't seen him myself yet as I'm not home but my mother texted me the minute he came in.
    Anyone know of any reasonable companies to build a catio enclosure?
    Wanted to do it years ago after his first incident but dad wouldn't allow it, nothing is stopping me this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

So relieved as well !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Thank goodness he's back. That little cat will be the death of us with all his adventures!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Layinghen wrote: »
    Thank goodness he's back. That little cat will be the death of us with all his adventures!!!!!!!

You're telling me!! Never a dull moment with master dude around. I think he's down to his last 3 lives at this stage!

Brilliant, have been checking this thread all day

Advertisement