Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

More MPs doesn't equal better quality. Usually it's the opposite in sensors this size.

I know that, you know that... but do others - when your trying to market a phone which has less megapixels (figure) than the Note 4 had (Note 4 16mp vs 12mp of the Note 7) - is that a wise move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I know that, you know that... but do others - when your trying to market a phone which has less megapixels (figure) than the Note 4 had (Note 4 16mp vs 12mp of the Note 7) - is that a wise move?

I think pushing number of pixels as a selling point has been and gone. People just want quality in the end result.

HTC went from 4MP to 21MP to 12MP, and the 12MP is by far the best.

Patww79 wrote: »

my son has just got the S6 on bill pay from Tesco Mobile - beautiful pictures. samsung do some very strange things when they bring out a new model . He asked me if the S6 was water resistant and I said well the S5 was so i am presuming it is ... but then i googled and found out the S6 isnt! ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

my son has just got the S6 on bill pay from Tesco Mobile - beautiful pictures. samsung do some very strange things when they bring out a new model . He asked me if the S6 was water resistant and I said well the S5 was so i am presuming it is ... but then i googled and found out the S6 isnt! ...

Strange things is an understatement. Case in point...Removal of SD card in Note 5 and replacing it in the Note 7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Patww79 wrote: »

The S7 has the best camera I have seen in a smartphone, and now the same can be said with the Note 7. It's definitely better than the S6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Year old iphone 6s (dual core 2GB RAM) beats Note 7 (Octo core 4GB) in real world tests

https://youtu.be/3-61FFoJFy0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

quarryman wrote: »
    Year old iphone 6s (dual core 2GB RAM) beats Note 7 (Octo core 4GB) in real world tests

I'd say this shows more the efficiency of ios V android...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

unklerosco wrote: »
    I'd say this shows more the efficiency of ios V android...

Still. Pretty impressive though.

I'm pretty neutral, I've owned as many iPhones as android handsets over the years. But i'd be a bit peeved if I'd just bought a brand new note 7.

• Advertisement

It does look slow.. My note 4 would be quicker than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It certainly backs up with what they are saying in this very good article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It certainly backs up with what they are saying in this very good article

This is why I find it so hard to choose a new phone. The reviews are glowing but the reality could easily be different. :(

I'm currently in the market searching for my new long termer. I have an Xperia Z3 Compact at the moment and would like something capable with a large screen to multi task as a phone and tablet.

The Note 7 caught my eye with the stylus that could act like a precise mouse and of course 'that' screen.

Am I better looking elsewhere (HTC 10, S7 Edge?)? Are these performance issues actually an issue in the real world? Is the stylus actually that beneficial for general browsing or could I be just as happy with one of the alternatives mentioned above?

Sorry for all the questions, some of them are rhetorical. :D

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This is why I find it so hard to choose a new phone. The reviews are glowing but the reality could easily be different. :(

I'm currently in the market searching for my new long termer. I have an Xperia Z3 Compact at the moment and would like something capable with a large screen to multi task as a phone and tablet.

The Note 7 caught my eye with the stylus that could act like a precise mouse and of course 'that' screen.

Am I better looking elsewhere (HTC 10, S7 Edge?)? Are these performance issues actually an issue in the real world? Is the stylus actually that beneficial for general browsing or could I be just as happy with one of the alternatives mentioned above?

Sorry for all the questions, some of them are rhetorical. :D

I've been using a Note phone for the past 4 years and I only ever use the stylus for taking notes, I've never used it for navigating the phone etc. etc.

I've been waiting for the note 7 to upgrade but I'm half thinking of giving up the note and maybe going for an S7 Edge or One Plus 3 or the new nexus phone.. I've a nexus 5 for work and note 4 for personal use. The nexus phone flies along, stock android is a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Looking to get a couple of the fast charge wireless stands for the note 7. Anyone seen them in store anywhere (the Samsung car phone warehouse stores some of you have been in I guess)?

lafors wrote: »
    Looking to get a couple of the fast charge wireless stands for the note 7. Anyone seen them in store anywhere (the Samsung car phone warehouse stores some of you have been in I guess)?

Samsung Store in Swords have them, there's also a phone repair shop in the pavilions selling them, €55 a pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Some difference! Have watched a few of these on YouTube and none of them are making me want to pre-orde unfortunately. Think it's the SD820 in that video but seen another one by an Indian guy with the Exynos chip and it wasn't great either.
    Would like to see one without the games in the test as I barely play them.

OP3 was the closest in speed to the 6s being only 3 seconds slower.

Note 7 scratch test was poor too and the response from Corning wasn't reassuring at all. They should release a video showing their own 'lab standard' tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

any idea about buying cases for the Note7? There are some listed on the Samsung.ie website but no links I can see for ordering them, no prices etc listed?
    Also, do we have an actual arrival date for when it will be sold in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

Real World tests? Hardly!

Did you notice how many of the apps had been previously opened? None. He purposely set it up that way because iOS is quicker at launching apps. Linux (Android) is used to scheduling CPU tasks such that you don't have to close the apps, you always leave them open in the background. So, a real test would have been to open all the apps in Android first, then compare the different activities. As most people don't close apps after use, then a real world test would allow for that.

Irrespective of that, who uses a phone like that? You might need to do several things in a short space of time - but how often? That is not to say that the Note is a flyer, I think we saw last year when compared to the Nexus 6, it still lagged albeit by split seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

banjobongo wrote: »
    any idea about buying cases for the Note7? There are some listed on the Samsung.ie website but no links I can see for ordering them, no prices etc listed?
    Also, do we have an actual arrival date for when it will be sold in Ireland?

I've had a UAG case on my Note 3 for 2.5 years and found it excellent. Outside of inevitable wear on the screen it's as good as new despite many drops and getting a decent hammering in my pocket. It might be a bit too bulky for some people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

Amazon Germany had Note 7 with Samsung 360 Camera for 899 earlier. Gutted I missed it as the camera alone costs 400+. Seems to be all gone now.

Has anyone pre ordered this via a Samsung store?

Scratch that.. Just spoke to the store in Swords. On sale on the 2nd Sept, they won't have enough stock to fulfill the pre orders so it'll be closer to mid September by time time it'll be available..

I've ordered off Clove.co.uk. I have contacted them a few times with regards the order.

They are getting their stock in on the 2nd. They are hoping to ship on the 2nd of Sept however its a friday so more than likely it wont be with me until midweek the week of the 5th at the earliest.

Thats even if they can fulfil all of their orders by the sounds of the stories going around about European delays...

nursewally wrote: »
    I've ordered off Clove.co.uk. I have contacted them a few times with regards the order.

They are getting their stock in on the 2nd. They are hoping to ship on the 2nd of Sept however its a friday so more than likely it wont be with me until midweek the week of the 5th at the earliest.

Thats even if they can fulfil all of their orders by the sounds of the stories going around about European delays...

I was going to order from them, but gladly resisted as I don't like their track record, and I believe they had delays with getting the S7 out, and im not talking about normal shipping delays, or missing the pre-order window but rather they missed the main launch by over a week.

I know the Note 7 is having supply issues, but honestly, I don't think it's that bad, I think Samsung want us to think it's worse so more people order now thinking they will miss out otherwise.

I kicked my self and then ordered it from Three. I hate Three so much because their network is so bad (glad not to be with them anymore). Their pre pay price was solid enough(expensive, but similar price to everywhere else) and comes with the free Gear VR and will most likely be sim free as the S7 edge was, but it's cheap enough to unlock and I can flash UK firmware.

If I was getting it I'd probably do the same, would be easy to de-3-ify it. Just can't make the jump to buy it though!

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    I was going to order from them, but gladly resisted as I don't like their track record, and I believe they had delays with getting the S7 out, and im not talking about normal shipping delays, or missing the pre-order window but rather they missed the main launch by over a week.

Oh, this doesnt sound good! :eek:

But look I will keep ye informed anyway of how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PLEASE_HELP_ME

but it's cheap enough to unlock and I can flash UK firmware.

Will flashing new firmware remove the lock, or do i need to do something else?

(thanks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Had a quick play with one in the Samsung carphone warehouse shop in swords. Feels great in the hand, I'm currently using an oppo r7plus which has a 6in screen so the note is slightly smaller but the edges make the difference. The r7plus has flatter metal edges and can get a bit sore after holding it for a while where as the note 7 feels really good, it's actually even a bit too easy to hold...I guess I mean it's a bit slippy.

The screen is excellent though it's colours are definitely over exaggerated as with all Samsung phones so that can be a love it/hate it thing, for me I like it. The curved edge looks really good on the screen, first time I've seen it so i was impressed.

The s-pen is good, feels good in the hand but I have to say I don't really see the huge improvement I was expecting over the pen in my old note 3.

Lastly the coral blue is a really nice colour, it looks completely different from every angle. It can look everything from bright blue to really dark blue, very cool.

Overall I'm happy I've ordered it. Roll on next week :)

Will flashing new firmware remove the lock, or do i need to do something else?

(thanks)

You have to usually pay for a sim unlock online and give them your IMEI number so you can get the code.

New 'international' firmware will just get rid of the carrier branding/certain baked in apps possibly but it doesn't affect sim lock AFAIK.

I didn't really look up the cost of sim unlock but I clicked on an ad in a video and it was $40, sure it can be for for cheaper though...

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »
    ......The screen is excellent though it's colours are definitely over exaggerated as with all Samsung phones so that can be a love it/hate it thing, for me I like it. ....

Is there nothing in the settings where you can change the richness of the screen colours? - there was in earlier Notes I think

i'd really love to have a go of that handwriting with the stylus (handwriting to text) and see how accurate it is - I could see myself using that feature regularly myself and not just finding it a gimmick I reckon

Three have confirmed that my order has been shipped and will be delivered tomorrow.

dan786 wrote: »
    Three have confirmed that my order has been shipped and will be delivered tomorrow.

Good to hear, hoping my status changes soon.

Guessing you rang them for confirmation?

Good to hear, hoping my status changes soon.

Guessing you rang them for confirmation?

My status says out of stock still but asked through their Facebook page and they told me it's shipped and should be here tomorrow.

So no shipping notices from 3?

(I ordered mine from 3 as well)

Nightline normally do their updates for tracking at around 10pm, so should be around that time that we see the status change or get emails.

Just got a notification from Vodafone as well that mine has dispatched. So expecting a black one and a blue one tomorrow.

Got a dispatch notice about 20 minutes ago, and i ordered relatively late... Last Fri lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Dan and Please help me...are you existing VF bill pay customers that ordered through one of the branches?

• Advertisement

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Dan and Please help me...are you existing VF bill pay customers that ordered through one of the branches?

Per post #137, i ordered from three.

A pre paid phone. Bought online last fri lunch time.

pfurey101 wrote: »

I bought one on Prepay yesterday and its shipped already. They might have not sent out an email as Vodafone have a order tracking system online and mine says dispatched.

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/assistance/track/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Can any previous Note owners tell me how useful is the stylus and associated apps are for something like taking notes in college? Too much faffing about or could it conceivably be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Mine just arrived from 3. I got the gear VR too. I'm stuck in work till 5 going to be the longest day ever

Anyone who bought it from 3, as soon as you know if there is a simlock.or not, please share.

Mine is out for delivery too.

But the MRS might not be there to sign for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mate got one (well two) last week for himself and his wife and his wifes one kept overheating at the weekend and powering off and now it's dead. :(

he's trying to get it fixed now, but not sure how long it's going to take.

I received mine from Vodafone, still waiting on the one from Three.

Can anyone esle who got one from Vodafone, check if its unlocked? I might return it if its not unlocked.

Mine has just arrived now, with the Gear VR. Three have already posted that they had enough Gear Vr's for all the pre-orders.

I haven't checked the sim lock, but there is a splash screen, so first things first.

Looking to download the Generic UK/Ireland firmware, but it's taken ages with SamMobile, does anyone have it already or a better link to download it.

Mine has just arrived now, with the Gear VR. Three have already posted that they had enough Gear Vr's for all the pre-orders.

I haven't checked the sim lock, but there is a splash screen, so first things first.

Looking to download the Generic UK/Ireland firmware, but it's taken ages with SamMobile, does anyone have it already or a better link to download it.

• Advertisement

Just to let those with Three phones know. The phone is sadly locked to their network/

Now to find a quick place to get the unlock code. If anyone knows one, please let me know.

Advertisement