Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Patww79 wrote: »

Whoa, that's gonna be costly for Samsung if true. At least they are taking action instead of trying to cover it up.
    Saw elsewhere on net that Samsung were going to repair them instead of replacing them which may cause issues with water resistance. Could end up being a bigger disaster if they don't manage it right!

Edit: CPW not allowed to process any more N7 sales apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I got ht ephone yesterday and today I have ordered the Official Samsung S-View Galaxy Note 7 Stand Cover Case (Black) from MobileFun, expected delivery date is 9th Sept....hope I can keep the phone safe until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

There will never be a global recall - I am sure a company that big can find the source of the problem and only recall devices affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Those of you who ordered the phone from Three, or are looking to buy from Three (and I'm presuming it's the same for other networks aswell), be aware that it has been put on hold in stores. Stores are not allowed to sell the Note 7 until this issue is sorted and may end up having to send stock back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

dan786 wrote: »
    There will never be a global recall - I am sure a company that big can find the source of the problem and only recall devices affected.

Problem is it could be all batteries affected. Supposedly batteries were made in South Korea then sent to a third party company in China for finishing and packing of some sort.
    Early days yet so who knows. I've had two very bad/faulty batteries in Samsung devices that I've owned so I'm not surprised they have issues. Hopefully they get a better manufacturer going forward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fup me that is some disaster for Samsung. Was looking into them via Eir Mobile but heard they had cancelled their release

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

lol I just got a text from Three that Samsung has reported a battery safety issue on Galaxy note7 requiring me to turn off and return the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just got this from three.ie

From Three. Samsung has reported a battery safety issue on Galaxy Note7 requiring you to turn off and return the phone. Please call 1913 or chat with an agent on www.three.ie/chat for further advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

lol I just got a text from Three that Samsung has reported a battery safety issue on Galaxy note7 requiring me to turn off and return the phone.

Me as well :mad:
    Fukk sake

"Samsung has reported a battery safety issue on its Galaxy Note 7 phones. Although this has been reported as affecting a very small percentage of the devices shipped, it does require the return of all Galaxy Note 7 phones, including the one shipped to you this week. Please provide us with an alternative contact number so we can contact you tomorrow with further details as to how you can return the phone. A full refund will be provided."

Received this, I wonder if we have to return the VR too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ballycallan

Me as well :mad:
    Fukk sake

Just Got the same message myself ... what to do ? wait it out or return the phone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Vodafone Business have said they will not be releasing tomorrow either. Balls..:(

"Samsung has reported a battery safety issue on its Galaxy Note 7 phones. Although this has been reported as affecting a very small percentage of the devices shipped, it does require the return of all Galaxy Note 7 phones, including the one shipped to you this week. Please provide us with an alternative contact number so we can contact you tomorrow with further details as to how you can return the phone. A full refund will be provided."

Exact same message I got.
    I'm asking what am I supposed to do without a phone, and I want out of my contract.

• Advertisement

Just Got the same message myself ... what to do ? wait it out or return the phone ?

You can't wait it out. If anything happens further down the line you're stuffed.

Ha. Best of luck with that.

Ha. Best of luck with that.

Well I paid for the unlock so screw them haha, I am keeping the VR for my Note 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Well I paid for the unlock so screw them haha, I am keeping the VR for my Note 5.

Also loosing a screen protector in the process.

Won't this take months for Samsung to sort out, unless they halted shipments so they could swap out the batteries.

Either way, Samsung are doing to really feel the hurt because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

bummer. I got my Note7 yesterday from Vodafone Ireland and they have not contacted me to say there is a problem with the phone and I have not experiened any problems with it!

• Advertisement

banjobongo wrote: »
    bummer. I got my Note7 yesterday from Vodafone Ireland and they have not contacted me to say there is a problem with the phone and I have not experiened any problems with it!

Most people won't experience any problems with it, but could potentially. The recall is definitely global, so expect a text or phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair though, at least they're issuing a full recall rather than trying to deal with it on a case-by-case basis as many other companies do. It's obviously significant enough if they're taking this route given the cost and reputation damage it'll mean to them

I'd rather be without it than risk my house burning down while I sleep - no doubt the insurance co would try to get out of that too by pointing to the recall if you ignore it and something DID happen.

It's just a phone.. there's plenty of alternatives and no doubt this will be fixed quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

They want me to send the VR headset back as well.

I would just say you sold the VR headset because you didn't want it. Loads of people did that with the VR headsets from last year.

It looks like three are the first to recall? Seeing nothing else on twitter/internet?

Well, I'm out €40 on a third party case that I won't be able to return, so they can whistle for the headset.
    Terrible PR anyway, to try to demand return of a freebie on a recall like this. And anyway, what good is a heap of second hand headsets to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Are people going to turn off there phones? Three said everyone that received a note 7 will receive a call tomorrow to talk. I was on to an agent and he didnt have much info. Just said id receive a call tomorrow.

Yeah turned mine off, it's just not worth the risk now. If it's true the chances of it exploding as slim to none but if it did happen you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    Luckily I didn't get around to wiping my old phone so no reloading of apps/messages etc.

lafors wrote: »
    Yeah turned mine off, it's just not worth the risk now. If it's true the chances of it exploding as slim to none but if it did happen you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    Luckily I didn't get around to wiping my old phone so no reloading of apps/messages etc.

I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on a nano-sim to micro-sim converter, tomorrow, so I an go back to using my Note 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Sanymc

Just got on to three themselves . Representer said that they will contact people regards return. Nothing yet said about VR gear.People are offered full refund. And i would suggest to take it rather to fix device. Because if something does happen its all on you then . So any harm done to your property or bodily harm will be on you . I presume it will be availability to return within stores.

• Advertisement

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-due-exploding-batteries-might-imminent/
    This is definitely an unprecedented issue in our mobile industry, especially at the level and scope that Samsung operates at. It might be a severe hit to the Note7's sales, but if anyone can take it, it's this South Korean giant. I'm positive a little doubling down on marketing, some good freebies to affected customers, and a lot of transparency regarding the issue will go a long way to make sure everyone is satisfied.

This is more like it. Rather than returning the headset, I might try and squeeze a smartwatch out of them as well. :D

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-due-exploding-batteries-might-imminent/

This is more like it. Rather than returning the headset, I might try and squeeze a smartwatch out of them as well. :D

And I'll take an s7edge for free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I'm thinking of getting an s7 edge now. Can't see this will being sorted for a couple of months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

godtabh wrote: »
    Fup me that is some disaster for Samsung. Was looking into them via Eir Mobile but heard they had cancelled their release

Where did ya hear this? Source?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nursewally wrote: »
    Where did ya hear this? Source?

Cant say but I believe what I heard now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

godtabh wrote: »
    Cant say but I believe what I heard now

Oh I agree but I hoping for an Emobile one soon, not anymore! :(

It does seem odd how all of this has gone down.

The issue has been reported for while now, but there was no word on a recall, with only slight whispers indicating a specific region.

It seems now Samsung have given full word to do a recall, as why else would Three be sending texts message to return the device unless Sammy told them too.

The thing I don't get is why Samsung haven't issued a press release regarding it, but have instructed retailers already. I would assume they would want to get out ahead of it by issuing a press release detailing what exactly is going on and their solution.

The only reason I can think they haven't is because they honestly don't know how to fix the issue and are simply doing a blanket recall and doing refunds because they haven't a clue and are mostly in panic mode and a press release with no solution or time frame would be worse that letting the retailers handle it.

Sad that the Note 7 will likely be cancelled. Can't imagine a fix will be quick and even if they did have a quick fix, they can't simply resell a returned device, Plus the marketing will be a disaster and sales will likely suffer greatly either way. Probably be easier to simply skip it.

They should maybe consider a release of the note 5 in this region as an alternative. I'd have had one months ago if one was available. Having had my note 7 for a few days, and I do like it, I'm sticking with my original gut feeling that the curvy edged screens are a bad idea. Marketing over engineering.

They should maybe consider a release of the note 5 in this region as an alternative. I'd have had one months ago if one was available. Having had my note 7 for a few days, and I do like it, I'm sticking with my original gut feeling that the curvy edged screens are a bad idea. Marketing over engineering.

I thought the Note 5 was available here since like January.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    Sad that the Note 7 will likely be cancelled. Can't imagine a fix will be quick and even if they did have a quick fix, they can't simply resell a returned device, Plus the marketing will be a disaster and sales will likely suffer greatly either way. Probably be easier to simply skip it.

It will be interesting to see the end effect here. This was/is their flagship phone. Will they fix the issue and attempt to sell it again (likely at a discount), or will they skip it entirely now until the Note 8 next year?

Will it affect sales of other models? How the consumer reacts will be very interesting.

Maybe this might force a rethink on the "new phone every 6 months" approach. Let's face it, the technology has hit a peak. The S6 range is still every bit as usable and viable - the S7 and Note 7 series have been incremental improvements and "gimmicks" for the most part... and there's been reports of issues with the curved screens on these "old" models too. I myself have returned 2 of them in work because of black dots/dead pixels and lines/discoloration on the screens.

I for one would be happy with a new model every year-18 months if the quality was restored.

I thought the Note 5 was available here since like January.

News to me, if true. Certainly never available through three.ie.. I just checked the other carriers websites and it's not on those either.
    It is available on Amazon, alright.

Patww79 wrote: »

Did that apply to the Edge/Edge+ .. I have both and can't say I've any issue. Last the usual day with moderate-heavy use.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see the end effect here. This was/is their flagship phone. Will they fix the issue and attempt to sell it again (likely at a discount), or will they skip it entirely now until the Note 8 next year?

Will it affect sales of other models? How the consumer reacts will be very interesting.

Maybe this might force a rethink on the "new phone every 6 months" approach. Let's face it, the technology has hit a peak. The S6 range is still every bit as usable and viable - the S7 and Note 7 series have been incremental improvements and "gimmicks" for the most part... and there's been reports of issues with the curved screens on these "old" models too. I myself have returned 2 of them in work because of black dots/dead pixels and lines/discoloration on the screens.

I for one would be happy with a new model every year-18 months if the quality was restored.

Couldn't agree more.

While it's nice to see some improvements here and there. The S7 Edge and Note 7 are mostly identical. I simply missed having an s-pen, as it was handy for some things.

I really do wonder how the market will react. I'm sure Samsung will try and make some generous offer to curtail any negative images on their products, but honestly can't imagine it being too big considering how many people were affecting and just how wide spread this is.

What I hate is the fact they said it was a very small percentage of devices affected. That has to be a massive lie, otherwise why do a recall on all of them. If they know it's a small number of devices, then they must know which ones.

A global recall is way way worse than doing a device specific one. How hard would it be to release an app that simply checks your device info and tells you whether to return it. Telling everyone to return it is harder than telling everyone to download an app, but again, this is based on it being a small number of devices.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more.

While it's nice to see some improvements here and there. The S7 Edge and Note 7 are mostly identical. I simply missed having an s-pen, as it was handy for some things.

I really do wonder how the market will react. I'm sure Samsung will try and make some generous offer to curtail any negative images on their products, but honestly can't imagine it being too big considering how many people were affecting and just how wide spread this is.

What I hate is the fact they said it was a very small percentage of devices affected. That has to be a massive lie, otherwise why do a recall on all of them. If they know it's a small number of devices, then they must know which ones.

A global recall is way way worse than doing a device specific one. How hard would it be to release an app that simply checks your device info and tells you whether to return it. Telling everyone to return it is harder than telling everyone to download an app, but again, this is based on it being a small number of devices.

The reason they are saying it's a small number of devices is the same as any other company really - damage limitation and to reduce consumer "panic" and/or potential litigation depending on the issue/impact.

You can be sure that if they're going for a global recall of their flagship model only days after the release it's significant. A recall is usually only done if the cost of doing so is outweighed by the above factors.

This will cost Samsung big I reckon.. with strong competition from not only Apple in the premium market, but also the likes of HTC and emerging Chinese clones that are almost/just as good for the majority of users (at half the price) they might not recover if decisive action and comms aren't issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

After the backwards pen mullarkey with the N5 this is turning into a trend.

I really don't want to send my N7 back.

Am I mad?

ChopShop wrote: »
    After the backwards pen mullarkey with the N5 this is turning into a trend.

I really don't want to send my N7 back.

Am I mad?

I'd say yes... if anything should happen (small a chance as that may be) you'll be left in the wind. That's assuming you wouldn't have bigger issues to be worried about.

I wouldn't chance it myself given the nature of the issue. Unless you really love the stylus, the S7 Edge (or even S6 Edge+) is just as good in real life.

No other network other than Three have sent out messages, I got one from Vodafone as well and nothing from them and yet to hear anyone from Meteor or customers of CPW getting any message either. More importantly , Samsung have not announced anything.

So might just keep mine, I say more than 50% people who have already got it will not return it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement