Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Family member caught wind of the recall, is now convinced the phone is a ticking timebomb.

I prob will get no peace until it is gone.

The two week turnaround time being thrown about sounds very very optimistic... is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

ChopShop wrote: »
    Family member caught wind of the recall, is now convinced the phone is a ticking timebomb.

I prob will get no peace until it is gone.

The two week turnaround time being thrown about sounds very very optimistic... is it just me?

Its you...

Skyfarm wrote: »
    Its you...

I am just sliiiightly prone to pessimism.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

Light a candle!

I wish!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I agree. There was plenty of reports of supply issue to cover pre-orders, roughly a month after the device was launched. They now have to manufacture replacements for each of those, and hope to make new sales as well.

And I suspect that once new stock makes it into the retail network, shop managers and sales people will be more eager to sell to a new customer than give a replacement to a new owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Part of me just wants to hold on to it, The VR is amazing! I'd say the chances of it catching fire are close to nil but I'll have no peace of mind with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Parachutes wrote: »
    Part of me just wants to hold on to it, The VR is amazing! I'd say the chances of it catching fire are close to nil but I'll have no peace of mind with it.

Your right, you will always have the 'what if'on the back of your mind. Better to get it replaced. Just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Refurbished market is going to be healthy for this phone. No way samsung will be able to pass a lot if the refurbs as new. Will wait till the dust settles and expect to see some graded bargains

zarquon wrote: »
    Refurbished market is going to be healthy for this phone. No way samsung will be able to pass a lot if the refurbs as new. Will wait till the dust settles and expect to see some graded bargains

Altho i can't remember the name of the company who said it IIRC it's been said the N7 is particularly difficult to disassemble.

Those faux leather / plastic battery covers weren't too pretty...but Samsung might now be wishing they had kept them.

Altho i can't remember the name of the company who said it IIRC it's been said the N7 is particularly difficult to disassemble.

Those faux leather / plastic battery covers weren't too pretty...but Samsung might now be wishing they had kept them.

Maybe not to do yourself, but I'm pretty sure Sammy would have a process where the devices are heated to a certain temperature where the glue debonds, then rest should be pretty simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://gizmodo.com/heres-how-you-can-exchange-your-samsung-galaxy-note-7-1786120869

Handled slightly differently in the US.. wonder if Irish/EU customers will get €25 gift cards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

quinnd6 wrote:
    I've a feeling we'll be disappointed with junk games that I wouldn't buy being offered again.

unklerosco wrote:
    Handled slightly differently in the US.. wonder if Irish/EU customers will get €25 gift cards...

Wow a whole 25 dollars. Could nearly buy half a case with that. You would probably spend that in petrol driving to store to hand in your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

maybe that's to stop a class action suit about exposing people to the risk. That's probably all Samsung have their eyes on, a house burning down due to a note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Sanymc

Got adress to send my device back . Was told that 5 e will be added to account for postage. Also i was offered to get new device or just refund. After recieving the device . Also vr gear can be kept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't know about that. Hardware aside, the ecosystems are very different.. it's like Windows and Linux. Both better at different things and aimed at different people.

iPhones are a fashion accessory and for those who are happy to accept the limitations of the OS/platform because all they want is something that "just works", has all the apps and is easy to use

Androids are for those who want the apps, is easy to use, but who also can customise or change pretty much everything if they want to. The massive range of phones means there's also one for every budget

It's this last point that has seen Android dominate the market but there'll always be a place for both unless Google/Samsung crack that "wow" factor the iPhones have. It's not about hardware anymore. Even 18 month old flagships are still perfectly solid now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ah jesus don't get something like that started here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Got my phone on 30th Aug through Vodafone PAYG Bundle and got the free VR Gear with it. Order it on the 25th.
    Loving the phone at the moment Just received the LED case yesterday which I ordered from Korea. Just got a notification of a $13 price drop from the seller 😠. It's a really eye catching case with the LED clock and other notifications when you close the case.
    Now with this world wide recall of the Note 7, I've heard nothing from Vodafone yet. So I am gonna hold on to this until Vodafone have the new ones in stock. Of cause will keep a eye when the device is charging and will definitely not charge it overnight when iam asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I'm in a similar boat, waiting on Voda to communicate with their customers. I spoke to someone at 1907 who mentioned that they were preparing a campaign but knew nothing else, so I hope we will hear what is happening tomorrow.

My phone is now also exhibiting the reboot loop problems that many are also reporting - its effectively useless at the moment. What a clusterf$ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

@Snags,
    I personally haven"t encountered any soft/hardware issue with the phone yet. But I am not looking forward to go through all the setting up process again. Have the phone nicely set up to my liking at the moment. I might not even bother getting it replace.
    It's a great flagship phone , my last Samsung was a Note 2 and the difference in feel quality is night and day. My other phone, a OP3 is no match in built quality too, a abeith half the price though.
    Hopefully we'll get some info from Vodafone tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Small update.

After trying a normal factory reset it now seems bricked.

Will be chatting to Voda in the morning!

rob180 wrote:
    @Snags, I personally haven"t encountered any soft/hardware issue with the phone yet. But I am not looking forward to go through all the setting up process again. Have the phone nicely set up to my liking at the moment

Can you not try a back up and when you get your new phone(hopefully soon) and restore it and all settings should be there. I have refused to waste anytime setting up for this your reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Bought an imported Hong Kong Dual SIM Note 7 last week on eBay and was worried it would be difficult to exchange after news on the recall broke. Phone is working fine and is genuine and have it registered with Samsung. Samsung HK sent me a link to their website on the recall and indicates they are only recalling certain IMEI numbers which have the problem batteries and it indicates that mine is not affected. Can put away the fire extinguisher then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Armonline wrote: »
    Bought an imported Hong Kong Dual SIM Note 7 last week on eBay and was worried it would be difficult to exchange after news on the recall broke. Phone is working fine and is genuine and have it registered with Samsung. Samsung HK sent me a link to their website on the recall and indicates they are only recalling certain IMEI numbers which have the problem batteries and it indicates that mine is not affected. Can put away the fire extinguisher then.

Do you have a link to that website for the imei's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

lafors wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that website for the imei's?

http://support-cn.samsung.com/note7checking/en.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

That database onlu identifies the affected imeis in Hong kong.

I'm guessing they dont have access to correct IMEis outside the region.

You can you in aby random 15 numbers and it will say it's not affected.

Samsung SDI accounted or 70 percent of the batteries, but the China market did not use any of them . So it's unlikely their affected. I don't believe sales are even halted in China.

Id be a bit sceptical of the IMEI check. If Samsung were only recalling in certain areas why would they offer a voluntary recall for every handset?

• Advertisement

Vodafone ringing around to customers now and arranging for courier to collect phone and give temporary S7 as stop gap. They said 4 - 6 weeks for a replacement. Just in time for Christmas............ Next to no benefit to me as I have a phone almost as good as S7 and not going to bother setting it up only to have to wipe it all again. Suppose it will help some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Vodafone ringing around to customers now and arranging for courier to collect phone and give temporary S7 as stop gap. They said 4 - 6 weeks for a replacement. Just in time for Christmas............ Next to no benefit to me as I have a phone almost as good as S7 and not going to bother setting it up only to have to wipe it all again. Suppose it will help some people.

Wow, I'm seriously impressed their giving a loan phone in the meantime.

Fair play to them.

Why can't Three do the same for those wanting a replacement. I get a refund is easier, but anyone wanting a Note 7 will have to wait even longer to buy one as replacements will happen longer before the device goes on sale again.

Thor wrote: »
    Wow, I'm seriously impressed their giving a loan phone in the meantime.

Fair play to them.

Why can't Three do the same for those wanting a replacement. I get a refund is easier, but anyone wanting a Note 7 will have to wait even longer to buy one as replacements will happen longer before the device goes on sale again.

Yeah given the circumstances it is, especially since it is the best phone on the market and not some throw away brick. Personally I would have preferred something extra free, but I suppose you can't please everyone. If I got to keep the S7 for free instead of replacement I would be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

The cost of this (quite impressive in fairness) damage limitation must be astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Still didnt get a chance to return mine to Three, has anyone else managed to return one in store?

• Advertisement

Anyone know when this phone will be available again for the poor souls who didn't get a chance to pre-order (or had their preorder cancelled due to criteria limitations whatever that means)?

Sent mine off today ( Three ) . Asked over the phone when will i be able to get another one and they dont know aperantley. So shame on Samsung at least would have given some time line weather i should wait or just pick up new phone and gorget about Note 7 witch is going to happen now since im not waiting for this unfold. Lost years long customer and no daubt will be loosing alot more

If Network providers had any sense (like Vodafone) they would be firing out replacement phones just to keep people in their contracts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I got my new phone last week, just before the sh1t hit the fan re hte exploding batteries story. Im a busineses customer of VOdafone. I have not had any communication from VOdafone at all about what is going to happen about my phone and its been several days since this story broke. No official updates on VOdafone Ireland website as far as I can see, the only link I oculd find htere was http://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Samsung/Note-7-recall-exploding-battery-issues-what-now but on this link there is no official communicaiton from Vodafone at all, looks like to me they are putting their head in the sand and hoping it will all blow away!

Bonjobongo are u keeping it? Please tell me.younare not? Altho like its only small percentage phones where affected it seems just veey dangerous . I was testing mine to see on how bad it over heats . Seems like charging was not the issue but attached to vr gear it was tocking time bomb . My phone was in vr gear for hour and twenty minutes and heated up to 37 degrees. Not very promissing as it was only 2 days old at that point. Only why i tested it was to see maybe i do and can keep it. But as i seen it getting over heated i just couldnt :( i hope your one is fault free if u do end up keeping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Sanymc wrote: »
    Seems like charging was not the issue but attached to vr gear it was tocking time bomb . My phone was in vr gear for hour and twenty minutes and heated up to 37 degrees.

It's the CPU that's causing that heat, the using it for VR is very processor intensive so the phone will get fairly warm while it's attached to the gear VR. Especially if u have it in there for over an hour!

Hmm thanks for advice unklerosco. I dont know all i knew that its battery that was causing trouble. Ive baby on the way and i thought keeping it would be crazy. I loved the phone tho and it broke me to send it back . I have allways used notes and i dont even know what to get instead now. As someone had mentioned in one of the threads it would only take weeks but three days it could take months and it just wont be worth my while waiting. It was disapointing to send all accesories i baught via ebay back and it caused so much trouble . As i allways kept any of my electronics in imaculate state i had ordered several cases pouches charging unit and few glass covers. And i sold my last phone :( so now im on Note 3 . Still feesh looking but its not as speedy as note 7 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Sent mine back to 3 via registered post today. FYI the registered postage charges worked out at €10.75 for me, so the fiver their offering is nonsense.

Lafors i went to store before sending mine off because i needed sim adaptor. Anyway. I know its not employees fault so i wasnt gonna make their life a misery . But i questioned them about this fiver and said it sureley will cost more to send it out . Girls response was that i do not have to send it back via registered post. And i was like i know that but i dont wanna really take chance on loosing it via post either on witch she just shrugged her shoulders. I could have gone and went questioned it alot more but i know that they where told less then even us customers as she had no clue about anything really. I can see people who had their upgrades as this phone cancelling their contracts completely.

Fyi as i sent phone via registered fast service my package was delivered at 8.30 am this morning and was signed for . I rang as suggested in shop just now. Looks like my package was never recieved and explanation to this was that they might have not updated system . Its very hard to believe that nearly full working day post has not beeen sorted since early this morning . I would have thought there would have been extra staff dealing wit recall process and returns to get people sorted. Seems like i have thought wrong. Then again its three we are talking about anything to make your life that much harder. If even that package shows up that is...

Fyi as i sent phone via registered fast service my package was delivered at 8.30 am this morning and was signed for . I rang as suggested in shop just now. Looks like my package was never recieved and explanation to this was that they might have not updated system . Its very hard to believe that nearly full working day post has not beeen sorted since early this morning . I would have thought there would have been extra staff dealing wit recall process and returns to get people sorted. Seems like i have thought wrong. Then again its three we are talking about anything to make your life that much harder. If even that package shows up that is...

There is just something about Three as a company that sends shivers down my spine. So incompetent, not customer orientated at all and dont get me started on their aftersales/customer services!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

It'll start exchanging faulty Note 7 units from September 19 in the UK and Ireland.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138728-samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-how-to-exchange-or-return-your-phone

Looking like 2 weeks to get the existing models replaced here. Not sure about unfulfilled orders though.

Well in that case should have returned it streight to samsung as Three doesnt know will i even be able to get new note 7 and seems like they give gift card.... but three ... well just headache really

At the end of the day, 3 are being left with the hassle of cleaning up Samsung's mess. Sammy should have been much more proactive in the process, judging by what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I received my Note7 last week and have not heard anything form my supplier Vodafone so today I called them to see what the story is and the person I spoke too could only tell me that at some stage in the future that somebody form Vodafone would be in contact with me!
    Here is the message I sent Vodafone on the Talk to section of Boards.ie

hi Vodafone
    Im a business customer and I preordered the NOte7 phone from Vodafone. I have received the handset and then I saw all the news items about the battery exploding and about global recalls. So I patientally waited for Vodafone to contact me by phone or email with an update but after waiting for a long time I gave up and called Vodafone in IReland today, the person I spoke to was only able to tell me that at some stage in the future that somebody from Vodafone was going to contact me.
    I dont think this is good enough, I think I shold have been contacted in a matter of 2 - 3 working days, its not 7th September, and in addition there should be clear feedback on Vodafone Ireland website about Vodafone intend to do for their customers who have been effected by this issue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement