Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing a house (Sale Agreed)

Options
  • 07-07-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Just wondering about this, the estate agent is dragging their heels a bit about viewings on a house we have agreed on a price( no contracts signed yet) The current owner is still living there, but surely we have a right if we want to view the house again before signing contracts? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Just wondering about this, the estate agent is dragging their heels a bit about viewings on a house we have agreed on a price( no contracts signed yet) The current owner is still living there, but surely we have a right if we want to view the house again before signing contracts? Thanks.

Don't think you have a "right" to view the house, but you'd think the EA would be keeping you sweet and doing their best to arrange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Boater123 wrote: »
    Don't think you have a "right" to view the house, but you'd think the EA would be keeping you sweet and doing their best to arrange one.
    Yeh thats what I was getting at. I know theirs no right as such. Thanks for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Go along with your surveyor. He/she won't mind you having a look around at the end, when they're finishing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Keep yanking the EA's chain by looking at other properties with them. You may find something you like more. Nothing is confirmed until you've keys in your hands.

Go along with your surveyor. He/she won't mind you having a look around at the end, when they're finishing up.

I told my estate agent the house would be empty when the surveyor called. But it wasn't. He never told me the buyers wanted to call in again.
    I wasn't impressed when they just showed up when the surveyor was there.
    I wouldn't have minded if I had known.
    Don't just show up!

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I told my estate agent the house would be empty when the surveyor called. But it wasn't. He never told me the buyers wanted to call in again.
    I wasn't impressed when they just showed up when the surveyor was there.
    I wouldn't have minded if I had known.
    Don't just show up!

The place i'm buying is currently unoccupied so I don't know why there would be a problem with me turning up to have a look around after the survey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One thing guys- not every property on the market- is actually for sale.......
    Many sellers are putting property on the market- even if it costs a couple of hundred quid- to get an idea of the lay of the land- and in other cases- a significant number of the executor sales on the market- are only on the market to determine the value of the house for a number of parties- when one of the group intends to buy out the other interested parties (aka- a family home being sold on the death of a parent is going to one child who has to share the proceeds of the home with the other children- however, he/she is actually keeping the property).

You'd be quite surprised how many properties on the market- are not actually for sale...........

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

the estate agent should be tripping over themselves to accomodate your request. It's very natural to want to see a property again, there might be something fishy here. Keep looking as another poster said not everything on the market is actually for sale. And if you do go to the house again bring your surveyor.

One thing guys- not every property on the market- is actually for sale.......
    Many sellers are putting property on the market- even if it costs a couple of hundred quid- to get an idea of the lay of the land- and in other cases- a significant number of the executor sales on the market- are only on the market to determine the value of the house for a number of parties- when one of the group intends to buy out the other interested parties (aka- a family home being sold on the death of a parent is going to one child who has to share the proceeds of the home with the other children- however, he/she is actually keeping the property).

You'd be quite surprised how many properties on the market- are not actually for sale...........

I assume if you're at the point of booking deposits paid, solicitors engaged, surveyors paid, etc, you can assume the property is being sold. It would be outrageous for a vendor to allow a buyer to end up down by over a thousand euro for a sale that was never going ahead.

Do you mind me asking if you've paid a booking deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Do you mind me asking if you've paid a booking deposit?

Yes paid deposit

It seems that purchasers have very few rights despite being asked to put up a fair bit of money in good faith before a contact is even signed. The whole thing is very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It seems that purchasers have very few rights despite being asked to put up a fair bit of money in good faith before a contact is even signed. The whole thing is very frustrating.

It's not really a deposit, you can get it back at anytime for any reason. Bear that in mind and keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

I was in similar situation as you op a two years ago. Had also paid booking deposit and was given run around for months, engaged with Solicitors etc. Turns out the house wasn't really for sale. The banks had been putting pressure on the owner to sell so he "put it up for sale" but it wasn't actually ever really for sale. I was lucky though. Another house came up for cheaper in same estate that needed less work and I put offer on it and when it was accepted I withdrew my offer from first house. The first house is still for sale by the way.

If I were you Id keep looking at other houses just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

clonesbabe wrote: »
    I was in similar situation as you op a two years ago. Had also paid booking deposit and was given run around for months, engaged with Solicitors etc. Turns out the house wasn't really for sale. The banks had been putting pressure on the owner to sell so he "put it up for sale" but it wasn't actually ever really for sale. I was lucky though. Another house came up for cheaper in same estate that needed less work and I put offer on it and when it was accepted I withdrew my offer from first house. The first house is still for sale by the way.

I had this happen to me too. You'd be amazed by the selfishness of people.

Pretty much the same scenario. House was put on the market to placate the bank but in hindsight the owner had no intention of moving.

Happy to let me put down my deposit, spend money on solicitors, survayor, valuation etc..... I hope he gets leprosy.

clonesbabe wrote: »

I've seen some very obvious examples of this while house hunting. The properties involved were ludicrously overpriced compared to others on the market at the same time (>100k) and the photos posted online were either shockingly grim or non-existent.

I'd assume that these properties are generally owner occupied too. How do they get away with not accepting your offer if they're in arrears and the bank wants them gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

I've seen some very obvious examples of this while house hunting. The properties involved were ludicrously overpriced compared to others on the market at the same time (>100k) and the photos posted online were either shockingly grim or non-existent.

I'd assume that these properties are generally owner occupied too. How do they get away with not accepting your offer if they're in arrears and the bank wants them gone?

My offer was accepted and deposit paid. But weeks turned into months of no follow through on the owners part. His solicitor could never contact make contact with him either.

I don't get why any estate agent would continue to deal with such clients, surely they realise sooner or later the house isn't really for sale and they are wasting their own time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

As others have said, you don't have a right to view again but unusual for an EA to be a pain about it.

Just to note when I was buying in the last 6 months - once contracts are signed you have a right to reasonable access to the house (measure for carpets etc..) or at least that is what our solicitor told us. In saying that I didn't have to test the theory as EA and vendor were very accommodating

Advertisement