Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deere vs. New Holland. Tractor for a dairy man

• 07-07-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi lads,

In need of a new (to me) tractor and was wondering if I could get some advice off ye.

Would love a John Deere, a 6430 TLS to be more exact but was told today by my contractor, who is all john deere, that I would be better off with a new holland, like a TS115 as new holland is more of a dairy man's tractor.

Any one any advice for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭deise toffee

rounders wrote: »
    Hi lads,

In need of a new (to me) tractor and was wondering if I could get some advice off ye.

Would love a John Deere, a 6430 TLS to be more exact but was told today by my contractor, who is all john deere, that I would be better off with a new holland, like a TS115 as new holland is more of a dairy man's tractor.

Zetor all the way ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭limo_100

Hi lads,

I dont have an answer for you what is the difference in price? All ill say is I find the new holland cabs a horrible place to be stuck in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Get one of each on demo off a dealer and try them. We have contractors around here who are unreal brand loyal. Is your contractor the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

limo_100 wrote: »
    I dont have an answer for you what is the difference in price? All ill say is I find the new holland cabs a horrible place to be stuck in

A dairyfarmer isnt doing his job correctly if he's stuck in a tractor cab for more than afew days a yr ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hi lads,

What jobs do you want to do with the tractor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭cosatron

Timmaay wrote: »
    A dairyfarmer isnt doing his job correctly if he's stuck in a tractor cab for more than afew days a yr ha.

Maybe the new tractor will milk the cows for him. Your not a proper dairy farmers these days unless you have a new tractor, diet feeder, state of the art milking parlour or robot and at least 150 jersey crosses

cosatron wrote: »
    Maybe the new tractor will milk the cows for him. Your not a proper dairy farmers these days unless you have a new tractor, diet feeder, state of the art milking parlour or robot and at least 150 jersey crosses
    I mustnt be a proper dairy farmer so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Diet feeder and Jersey cross in the same sentence!, ya do know you can be hung for crimes like that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Diet feeder and Jersey cross in the same sentence!, ya do know you can be hung for crimes like that!

Probably need a diet feeder if he was finishing the bulls!

OP have heard lots of sad stories about JD, gearbox, back end and injector problems. Only bad thing I heard about NH is a broken trumpet housing, where the stabiliser/lift arm broke off. Yes they do get gearbox problems, but usually only at very high hours. But I'd be a bit biased anyway. :cool: Go with the one with the best dealer rep near to you.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭visatorro

Who the nearest dealership and who provides best service? Would probably have biggest bearing for me. There isn't much difference in tractors really. I find 100 horses plenty. I don't spread any slurry myself so no major dogging involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It is a massive climb into the new holland t 6030 added to with a big door ,you would not want to be jumping up and off to open gaps or bales anyway .I would say jd have made alot of sales for this reason alone.The tractor i would go for would be a late model 6420 which are more reliable then 6430 ,so they say.Priced a new jd m boosted to 125hp with tls and loader came to only 85k ,these would be similar to 6430 to give you idea of price .neighbours 6430 needed a head gasket under warranty and now she is breathing heavy out of blow pipe again whatever that means ????
    Another local lad bought t6010 with qiucke loader low hours off main dealer 45k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    I mustnt be a proper dairy farmer so :rolleyes:

I may just sell up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭cosatron

I may just sell up completely.

well I'm after putting my 85 Renault on done deal and going shopping for 162 JD with all the bells and whistle and look forward to having it parked up for 6 months of the year:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Its like a pack of children on here sometimes, all the op asked was which tractor was best, not whether ye think he needs it. Anyway I know nothing about jd,s and I m not gone on my nh but its not a ts so cant really give any practical advice op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I find most dairy farmers around here use John Deere more than New Holland. Make of that want you want but their must be a reason they are popular.

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I find most dairy farmers around here use John Deere more than New Holland. Make of that want you want but their must be a reason they are popular.
    Is it not more to do with what dealer is in your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

TS90 be a grand tractor and unlikely to have been wound up and used by a contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Pull out the jex and stick a few leggy hols in and your bang on !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Back on topic ,I've just traded an immaculate and bullet proof nh t5050 for a new t6140.really like the nh nice compact user friendly tractor for machinery illiterate people like me !!!

I suppose use dairy farmers cant afford the diesel at the minute :cool: Luckily us beef farmers are around keeping this country on its feet :D

• Advertisement

well I'm after putting my 85 Renault on done deal and going shopping for 162 JD with all the bells and whistle and look forward to having it parked up for 6 months of the year:cool:

Dont be foolish putting it up on done deal sure the JD dealer would take it as a trade in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Have John deer es , the latter 20s are best and trouble free .All 30's are trouble with capital T . The nh cabs are terrible ride and are a clumsy tractor . The 20 jd are good gutsy tractor and good view and practical .that's my two pence .

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭rounders

kerry cow wrote: »
    Have John deer es , the latter 20s are best and trouble free .All 30's are trouble with capital T . The nh cabs are terrible ride and are a clumsy tractor . The 20 jd are good gutsy tractor and good view and practical .that's my two pence .

This might sound stupid but when you say 30's do you mean all models ending in 30, eg 6430 are trouble? I dont really get model number methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭rounders

To answer the last few questions, need something between 115 to 130 hp. We do our own slurry here with a 2000 gallon tank as well as the usual fertilizer etc.

Also have a farm that is 6km up the road, all up hill, so will be doing a bit of road work. Been told that front suspension makes a massive difference to how stable the machine will carry something. Like having a full spinner with front suspension will jump around the road a lot less than with out front suspension so kinda steering a bit towards JD.

NH's big door look like a disaster. They'd surely take the hinges out of sync after just a few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

To answer the last few questions, need something between 115 to 130 hp. We do our own slurry here with a 2000 gallon tank as well as the usual fertilizer etc.

Also have a farm that is 6km up the road, all up hill, so will be doing a bit of road work. Been told that front suspension makes a massive difference to how stable the machine will carry something. Like having a full spinner with front suspension will jump around the road a lot less than with out front suspension so kinda steering a bit towards JD.

NH's big door look like a disaster. They'd surely take the hinges out of sync after just a few years?

Plenty NH about here with big doors and well over 10,000 hours and no problems on the hinges.
    I have to say I am not brand loyal but I do not get the JD love. Our local dealer about here is a tfm branch and by god are they sore to deal with. A neighbour bought four bolts for a trailed mower needed in a hurry and got charged €52.

Yes I mean all jd ending in 30 , but all the new model m and r are ment to be very good .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

kerry cow wrote: »
    Yes I mean all jd ending in 30 , but all the new model m and r are ment to be very good .

Think I have you Sussed out...! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Have John deeres here..... 3050..... 6200.... 6430 8 yr old and just had head gasket done....

Best of them is the 3050
    Worst of them 6430
    Nicest of them 6200

Agree the 50 series was good but the 600 and 610 series were best of all .had 30 series but was total money pit . The m and r , we are told are going to be trouble free but haven't any real test yet .time will tell .had a n Holland once .terrible yoke .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

cute geoge wrote:
    It is a massive climb into the new holland t 6030 added to with a big door ,you would not want to be jumping up and off to open gaps or bales anyway .I would say jd have made alot of sales for this reason alone.The tractor i would go for would be a late model 6420 which are more reliable then 6430 ,so they say.Priced a new jd m boosted to 125hp with tls and loader came to only 85k ,these would be similar to 6430 to give you idea of price .neighbours 6430 needed a head gasket under warranty and now she is breathing heavy out of blow pipe again whatever that means ???? Another local lad bought t6010 with qiucke loader low hours off main dealer 45k

85k for a bog standard bastard of an m series. What ****ing idiot's out there are buying jd

Advertisement