Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying slabs

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Howdy Folks,

Not sure if this post belongs here or on a construction/building forum.

Anyway, I'm looking to slab part of my back garden,
    its a section 6.4m x 3m (approx 19 sqr mtr) and will just have a shed/table/chairs/BBQ

My question is about the base.....
    I've had a few different recommendations about the base,
    Sand/Gravel/Cement Mix , Dry/wet mix, grout/no grout??

Looking to my fellow boardsies for some recommendations
    I have the slabs and just over 1/2 ton of sand already
    Obviously I will have the black felt down, but from there I'd like to hear your recommendations please (easiest & cheapest preferably ;) )

Cheers,
    Pablo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

I did a similar size a few months ago with dry sand cement mix bed on top of hardcore base. Filled in joints with sharp sand.

In hindsight I think i should have wnt with a wet mortar mix for easier laying and getting the slabs level. Also gives you that piece of mind that slabs wont move over time. I have had to top up the sand in the joints twice, so I also wish I had grouted them with a wet grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Just sand underneath here . The slabs are close together and won't shift too far. In the edge slab I've cement down to keep it from moving. Brush in a bit of sand every now and then and its perfect.

Advertisement