Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163km)

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Courtesy of cyclingnews.com
    VVbjtAj.png

pictoType_HMG.gifStage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (162.5 km, Mountain)

Friday, July 8thStage infoStartlistRoadbookRules • Weather: Start, Halfway, Finish
    Starts at 13:15 - Live video from 14:15 - Finish at 17:20 (CEST) • Live tickerLivestreams

Route:
    CARTE.jpg

Profile:
    vn7K9D5.jpg

Mountain passes & hills:
    Km 117.0 - Côte de Capvern 7.7 kilometre-long climb at 3.1% - category 4
    Km 155.5 - Col d'Aspin (1 490 m) 12 kilometre-long climb at 6.5% - category 1

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Final Kilometres:
    [align=center]xR5ki0P.png[/align]

Preview:
    One of the most highly anticipated days of the entire cycling season is the first big day in the mountains at the Tour de France. Due to the French geography, ASO have often postponed the first big battle between the climbers to a relatively late point in the race as it has often come after the first rest day. One of the notable features in this year’s race is that the three days in the Pyrenees already come in the first week, starting with the short, intense stage 7 that brings the riders into the Pyrenean heartland. As it is often the case for the first mountain stage at the Tour, it is a classical stage with a long, flat run and one big climb in the end. There may not be a mountaintop finish but as the famous Col d’Aspin is followed by just a short descent to the finish at Lac de Payolle, this is the day when we will get the first indication of who’s going to win the Tour.

At just 162.5km, the stage from L’Isle-Jourdain to Lac de Payolle is relatively short. As usual for the first Pyrenean stage, the first part will see the riders complete the journey to the foot of the mountains as they travel along flat roads in a southerly and southeasterly direction. After an easy start, the terrain gradually gets lumpier but the real climbing only starts after the feed zone in Tournay at the 105.5km mark. Here the riders will hit the bottom of the category 4 climb of Cote de Capven (7.7km, 3.1%) which will bring the riders to a flat plateau.

The flat terrain comes to an abrupt end when the riders have contested the intermediate sprint at the 137km mark – a relatively straightforward sprint that is only very slightly uphill. After just a few more kilometres of flat roads, the riders will turn to the west to head up the famous category 1 climb of Col d’Aspin. It averages 6.5% over 12km but it can be split into two. The first 4km are relatively easy but then the gradient gets tougher and in the final 5km, it stays above 7.5% for most of the time.

The summit is located just 7km from the finish and this final part will be fast. The first part of the descent isn’t very difficult but then several hairpin turns in the final part will lead the riders to the final 1200m which are slightly uphill. The first 1000m average 4% and then it level out for the final 200m. This final section follow a long, straight, 5m wide road that only has a very slightly bend with 600m to go.

The riders may have had a first chance to test their climbing legs in Massif Central but stage 5 was not really suited to attacks from the GC riders. This is the first stage where the best riders can really attack each other and this is the day when they will all learn about their chances in this year’s race. In the past, the best riders have often had a cautious approach to the first mountain stage but with the emergence of Chris Froome, things have been different. The Brit may be trying to peak a little later in this year’s race but if recent history can be used as an indication, we can expect the defending champion to attack already in this stage. There may not be an uphill finish but the Col d’Aspin comes so close to the finish, that it’s almost like a mountaintop finish. Of course a good descender can take back some time in the final part but the design of this stage should allow the best climbers to open the first significant time gaps in this year’s Toure de France.

Lac de Payolle has not hosted the finish of a major bike race for more than a decade.

Current GC standings:
    bcj1Hr7.png

Withdrawals Stage 6:
    None (!!!!!!)
    198 of 198 riders remain in the race - for the first time in history at the start of stage 7.

Odds
    Alejandro Valverde 8/1
    Daniel Martin 15/1
    Rui Costa 16/1
    Chris Froome 16/1
    Romain Bardet 17/1
    Julian Alaphilippe 18/1
    Purito 18/1
    Tony Gallopin 25/1
    Stephen Cummings 25/1
    Nairo Quintana 25/1
    Fabio Aru 33/1
    Vincenzo Nibali 33/1
    Rafal Majka 33/1
    Tom Dumoulin 40/1
    Ilnur Zakarin 50/1
    Richie Porte 50/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This will be a real test for Contador, if he has not recovered from his crashes he could see any hope of Tour Victory disappear tomorrow. If the GC riders battle for the win tomorrow, Dan has every chance of winning the stage, if he gets over the Col D'Aspin in the leading group, the final section could see him launch one of trademark attacks and steal another tour victory. Obviously Valverde and Alaphilippe would be the key dangermen in that situation.

One would expect all the GC favourites to finish on the same time tomorrow, but any weakness on the Col D'Aspin will certainly be punished, and we may well see a GC favourite or two suffer tomorrow and begin their slow drop out of overall contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I fancy Froome to stamp his authority on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I fancy Froome to stamp his authority on this one

Quintana sticking to him and valverde working for movistar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I don't see why Julian Alaphilippe is 18/1 with Nibali and Porte and Aru behind him in the bettings. I'm sure Nibali has a better chance of victory with the long descent before the finish and Porte is a better climber. I think Alaphilippe has a good future ahead of him but i think he's be crowned a bit early. He was nearly dropped the other day on a stage that wasn't as hard and i think the pace will be higher today on the Aspin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If the stage finished at the summit of the Col d'Aspin, then I would fancy Froome for the victory. But with the added excitement of the descent to the finish, I'm not so sure.

I can see Bertie getting dropped early enough.

Dan should be there or there abouts.

Majka to be in the breakaway and take the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Moister one two on the climb with a lone non gc guy taking the stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I fancy Aru to surprise Froome and Quintana today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Having bridged across to the break , Dan was first over the Aspin last year - died a death to Majka on the Tourmalet ( tomorrow)

as Kelly would say - tiz a real interesting day.

Can't see SKY going for it today. Aspin is only a pisser of a climb to the mountain lads. No benefit in using up the teammates and then having them dead tomorrow for 4 or 5 savage climbs.

Break makes it ! Navarro, Preidler, Majka, Rui Costa, Stef Clement - they're my 5 !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Nibali to go for king of the mountains today and just sit on everyone's wheel for the rest of the race.

12 rider breakaway gone up the road:
    Gorka Izagirre (Movistar), Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana), Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Jarlinson Pantano (IAM Cycling), Ramunas Navardauskas (Cannondale-Drapac), Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data), Jérémy Roy (FDJ), Cesare Benedetti (Bora-Argon 18), Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida), Nicolas Edet and Geoffrey Soupe (Cofidis), Chris Anker Sørensen (Fortuneo-Vital Concept).

• Advertisement

Sam Bennett won himself a T-shirt yesterday

The Cycling Podcast
    @cycling_podcast
    Sam Bennett: a very grateful and gracious @EurosportUKTV Pédaleur de Charme winner today @Sammmy_Be @BoraArgon18

Cm1u7vzWcAAkJb5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

no messing about so far today..49km/hr avg for first hour of racing.

Van Avermat part of break now over 2 minutes 30 seconds up on peloton.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

That is an incredible breakaway group- I know most of them are of little threat overall but it is a group that would do justice to a selection in one of the one day monuments.

Peleton look like they are on a sportive once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I want to be given bottles of wine with lunch. :(

29 riders:

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC)
    Alexis Vuillermoz, Jan Bakelants (Ag2r-La Mondiale)
    Vincenzo Nibali, Alexey Lutsenko (Astana)
    Luis Mate, Borut Bozic, Dani Navarro (Cofidis)
    Simon Geschke (Giant-Alpecin)
    Daryl Impey (Orica-Bike Exchange)
    Tony Martin (Etixx-QuickStep)
    Tsgabu Grmay, Kristijan Durasek (Lampre-Merida)
    Sylvain Chavanel, Antoine Duschesne (Direct Energie)
    Fabian Cancellara, Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo)
    Oliver Naesen (IAM Cycling)
    Pierre-Luc Perichon (Fortuneo-Vital Concept)
    Steve Cummings (Dimension Data)
    Paul Voss (Bora-Argon 18)
    Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto Soudal)
    Angel Vicioso (Katusha)
    Matti Breschel, Alex Howes, Sebastian Langeveld (Cannondale)
    Vasil Kiryienka (Sky)
    Paul Martens (LottoNL-Jumbo)
    Gorka Izagirre (Movistar)

I think this is the Strava segment for the Col d'Aspin.

Current KOM time is 34'22".
    Dimension Data rider Reinardt Janse van Rensburg has the second fastest time of 34'46". His power meter measured 382W for the climb. According to PCS, his weight is 74kg, so that's 5.16 W/kg.

29 riders:

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC)
    Alexis Vuillermoz, Jan Bakelants (Ag2r-La Mondiale)
    Vincenzo Nibali, Alexey Lutsenko (Astana)
    Luis Mate, Borut Bozic, Dani Navarro (Cofidis)
    Simon Geschke (Giant-Alpecin)
    Daryl Impey (Orica-Bike Exchange)
    Tony Martin (Etixx-QuickStep)
    Tsgabu Grmay, Kristijan Durasek (Lampre-Merida)
    Sylvain Chavanel, Antoine Duschesne (Direct Energie)
    Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo)
    Oliver Naesen (IAM Cycling)
    Matti Breschel (Tinkoff)
    Pierre-Luc Perichon (Fortuneo-Vital Concept)
    Steve Cummings (Dimension Data)
    Cesare Benedetti, Paul Voss (Bora-Argon 18)
    Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto Soudal)
    Angel Vicioso (Katusha)
    Alex Howes, Sebastian Langeveld (Cannondale)
    Vasil Kiryienka (Sky)
    Paul Martens (LottoNL-Jumbo)
    Gorka Izagirre (Movistar)

Is Cancellara there too?

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Is Cancellara there too?

Yeah he is. I knew I'd make some cock-up copying and pasting the list! :)

Yeah he is. I knew I'd make some cock-up copying and pasting the list! :)

I think the official TdF tracker is missing him also. He isn't exactly the most anonymous type of guy either!

if the break holds and GVA stays with it looks like Bertie will be over 10 minutes down on GC

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Nice to see GVA riding in such a manner having got into Yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

neris wrote: »
    if the break holds and GVA stays with it looks like Bertie will be over 10 minutes down on GC

Along with everyone else.
    Although i dont see contador sticking with the big guys up the aspin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Cav off the back on the mountain?

Steve cummings 2 fingers to the british olympic selectors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I think the official TdF tracker is missing him also. He isn't exactly the most anonymous type of guy either!

Kamspatacus.jpg

Ned boulting just thought he was warren barguil on itv

Realy is time for the mankinis to be done away with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Glad I put cumming sin my velogames team now, not so happy about Pinot though

• Advertisement

I love the way SK pronounces the word 'huge'

"He's makin a hooooge effort today"

Advertisement