Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing my Zoe back to Ireland

• 08-07-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi boys,

I've been living in the UK for a couple of years and I've just today bought a new Zoe. I already have a Zoe and a Leaf that are both nearing the end of their 2 year PCP so will both be going back to the dealers soon. This Zoe I bought today is a dealer ex-demo, "i" version (battery paid, not leased), bought with cash.

Anyway, do I understand correctly that I can import my new Zoe to Ireland for free? No VRT to pay? What about the <6000kms / <6months old = VAT payable, is that rule applicable?

The other side of my question, if I do import my new Zoe, am I eligible for a subsidised home charger to be installed? If so, what's the procedure and how much would I have to pay?

Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Six months, 6000km is correct.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section6a

No your not entitled to a homecharger. I think lads are paying anything between 350/1000 depending on the ampage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Six months, 6000km is correct.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section6a

No your not entitled to a homecharger. I think lads are paying anything between 350/1000 depending on the ampage.
    I see, so is the free ESB funded home charger available only for EVs first registered in Ireland then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, it is. Their sales bumf used to say "new registrations", which could technically mean a UK car being newly registered in Ireland. But now it's "new cars" or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you bring your Zoe in and the 6 month/6k thing applies, then it's a new car. So ESB would have to supply you with a home charger!

You'd have to claim the VAT back on the UK side too, and you pay VAT on this side on the purchase price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Soarer wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think about it, if you bring your Zoe in and the 6 month/6k thing applies, then it's a new car. So ESB would have to supply you with a home charger!

Nope, not unless the dealer you bought it from is registered for with the SEAI (that would be a total of 0 UK dealers). The Irish incentives are all linked together, dealer and model both need to be registered and approved. ESBs chargepoint offer is only applicable to vehicles which met the requirements for the SEAI grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks guys. So what's the going rate for an unsubsidised 32A Type 2 tethered, supplied and installed?

• Advertisement

Buy the charger, find out what cable to run, run it end to end and it costs a hell of a lot less. Mount the charger to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Soarer wrote: »

You'd have to claim the VAT back on the UK side too, and you pay VAT on this side on the purchase price.

op: be very careful. Irish VAT will be chargeable if less than the limits set out (6months/8,000kns iirc). However, UK VAT is only recoverable if you have bought a VAT qualufying vehicle. If you bought new, this would not be an issue and if it was a genuine demo registered to the dealership (who recovered VAT on purchase and thus have to charge VAT on sale) you should be fine. If, however, it was supplied, for example, to a private customer then bought back, you might have a serious issue. The invoice you receive should have "VAT Qualifying" on it or else it's on what's called the margin scheme meaning you can't get the VAT back.

Advertisement