Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I video a bully at work?

Options
  • 08-07-2016 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping I can get some insight into this, as I'm a bit lost about the whole thing.

Long story short, I've witnessed a couple of bad instances in work where a coworker of mine has been violent, and threatening to other staff. The more we complain about it the less that is done. Managers never see or refuse to see what is going on. As they are all good friends.

I had a good opportunity about two weeks ago to video what was going on, so I took my phone out and managed to record the guy push and shout at someone else. The bully won't approach me, as he is a coward.

Here's the good bit. He's reported me to management and apparently I am I being accused of bullying for recording this guy.

Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to record evandance of this guy? Or am I just meant to let it continue? Don't know what the legalities are with regards to videoing at the workplace?

Would anyone be able to offer and advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can see how he could make a complaint against you for recording him without permission.

How about the person being bullied in the video, are they ok with being videoed and it shown publicly.

If the victim supports you there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

No, you can't video someone in a private place without their permission.
    However, put a spin on it. Say you were concerned for the other person's safety and felt morally obliged to record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe you should start insisting that management install CCTV, to provide a safe working environment for staff.

If your man actually pushed the other person, that's assault and should be reported to the guards, not just management.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Management not taking a serious view of bullying allegations are very foolish, these days. Metaphorical alarm bells should be going off.
    Hand recording or copy to your own solicitor for safekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Water John wrote: »
    Hand recording or copy to your own solicitor for safekeeping.

Or just stick it on a usb and pop it in a drawer...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

there's nothing illegal in recording people be it in public or workplace, no matter what circumstances. some of the video evidence won't be admissible in court, but the HR will take action

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Management receiving complaints of physical bullying/assault and not taking it serious is absolutely mental.

hopefully someone drops him with a dig to set him straight

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The reason I say place it with your Sol for safe keeping, is that, when you are asked for it, you tell them who is in possession of it.
    That will ensure the whole matter, not just your recording, becomes the issue.
    HR and management won't mess, once they know it is in the possession of a sol.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Thanks for the advice lads.

Just to clear up a few things, I was asked by the person who was shouted at and pushed to record it. The bully also knew I was recording him, as I had to stop what I was doing and walk over.

It's not the first time he's done it to the victim, he even smiles for the camera and plays up on it. I haven't shown the video to anyone.

I would just like to know if I can plan any defence for my upcoming meeting with management. Have I done something illegal by recording him at a private place? I could just take the easy route and deny it, nobody saw anything.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Firstly fair play to you for taking the video.

Contact the HSA Workplace Control Unit on 01 614 7000 as bullying comes under their remit, they are a sound bunch of people working there and will give you the best advice. I would think that HR should be more worried about a HSA inspector calling that any complaint against you. http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Contact_Us/

If you are worried about yourself being accused of bullying your organisation should also have an anti-bullying policy, so that may be worth a read (All employee's should be made aware by HR of this document), Its generally based on the following code of practice: Code of Practice for Employers and Employees on the Prevention and Resolution of Bullying at Work

• Advertisement
Advertisement