Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When and how to add oil to frying pan

Options
  • 08-07-2016 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Is there essentially any major difference between

a. Add oil to cold pan, heat to very hot
    b. Heat pan to very hot, add oil
    c. Heat pan to very hot, brush (steak) with oil

Or is it all a matter of preference? Obviously (c) would only be useful for things you can brush, steak, chicken breast, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

corblimey wrote: »
    Is there essentially any major difference between

a. Add oil to cold pan, heat to very hot
    b. Heat pan to very hot, add oil
    c. Heat pan to very hot, brush (steak) with oil

Or is it all a matter of preference? Obviously (c) would only be useful for things you can brush, steak, chicken breast, etc.

B and occasionally C would be my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

B makes more hissing and sputtering than A. C more again.

But if you do A, you must be vigilant to let it GET really hot, no yielding to temptation to use the oil while still-not-hot-enough.

Also C somewhat more likely to stick, depending on the pan and the type of food.

Just my 2-spoons-worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

katemarch wrote: »
    B makes more hissing and sputtering than A. C more again.

But if you do A, you must be vigilant to let it GET really hot, no yielding to temptation to use the oil while still-not-hot-enough.

Also C somewhat more likely to stick, depending on the pan and the type of food.

Just my 2-spoons-worth.

I use method A. If I'm cooking onions, I'll use a small piece to test the temperature before putting the whole lot in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use A if I'm sautéeing onions etc, but don't let the pan get too hot.
    I also use A if I'm using sunflower or vegetable oil.
    I use B if I need a hot pan and am using olive oil. Manufacturers usually recommend that you don't heat the pan before adding oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

A - for frying veggies etc & as someone else said, I use a small piece of onion to test the temperature

C - for steak

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Manufacturers usually recommend that you don't heat the pan before adding oil.

Yup, you run the risk of warping your pan. Same with running cold water over a still-hot pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks all. Good to know that adding oil to a cold pan is preferable to adding to a hot pan. I rarely use the brush method these days (apart from steak) mostly cos I'm a marinadin' machine! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    Yup, you run the risk of warping your pan..
    It can also wreck non stick coatings. If there is oil and your hob has a hot spot it can help disperse the heat.

Same with running cold water over a still-hot pan.
    I like to clean the pan while still hot as it saves me boiling a kettle or running a hot tap, but not roasting hot as it can warp as you say. You can get an idea if its still to hot by wetting your hand and flicking a few drop onto the pan.

I will take it off the still hot hob ring and let it cool a little, then add a tiny bit of water, then some more and washing up liquid and then put back on the still hot hob. So it gets no real shock of cold water and the residual heat in the hob is not wasted. It also covers the still hot ring in case anyone else comes in the kitchen who does not know it was just on.

Advertisement