Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euros Competition Scoring dilemma

• 08-07-2016 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get some impartial advice (Mods please move if this is not the appropriate forum).

I ran a prediction competition for the Euros (people predicted the results of matches and progress of teams for points) and it's extremely tight at the top. There are a number of players who currently are on top of the leaderboard who all have France to win the tournament. Only 4 points separate them currently.

As part of the competition I also award points to people who have named the correct top scorer. This is the relevant wording from the rules:
    Top Scorer: Player comes first (6), Player comes second (4), Player comes third (3)

So the dilemma is that currently there are 6 footballers in joint 2nd place. So if there are no further goals scored by these players in the final then how many points should I award to people who predicted that say Ronaldo or Giroud would finish top scorer.

The way I see it there are 2 options:

Option 1: 4 pts

They came 2nd. The rules say 2nd gets 4 points.
    The argument against this is that somebody who chose Greizmann as top scorer unfairly could have 6 different people competing against him getting receiving the 4 points who had all chosen different footballers. Should there be a premium for finishing a clear 1st?
    In golf if two people finish joint second they don't give them both 2nd place money-they split 2nd + 3rd place prize money between them

Option 1: 1 pt

Since there are 6 footballers on joint 2nd they split the total remaining points between them. 2nd gets 4 points and third gets 3 points. So that's 7 points divided by 6 which comes to 1 when you round down. The downside to this is that it seems like a massive jump from 1st to 2nd in terms of points. Also is the golf prize money analagous here? Prize money is finite but theoretically I can dispense as many points as I want.

The decision here will literally mean the difference between different people receiving different prize money (or none at all)
    I want to make the decision today and tell the interested parties so that everyone knows the story before Sunday's Final.

How many points should someone get for Giroud or Ronaldo currently 6 votes

4 points
    0% 0 votes
    1 point
    66% 4 votes
    other
    16% 1 vote
    bastard
    16% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It has to be 4 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

definitely split the points.
    There are 7 points in total available for second and third, so each gets a score of 7/x where x is the amount of players tied. No need to round imo.
    Basically you only intended 13 points (6+4+3) to be awarded from this section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Definitely 4 points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

In the World Cup, if there's joint Golden Boot winners, the player with the most assists is deemed to have won.

So you could separate those in joint second by the number of assists they have to get sole second place and sole third place.

I think number of minutes played is used as an official second tie-breaker; can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Split the points, as per the golf example.

• Advertisement

Not sure you can just tack on another rule now.

It has to be the 4 points. No matter how illogical it might seem, that's the literal interpretation of the wording. You can't now say "ah but I meant..."

Advertisement