Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

JVC KD-R861BT - Steering Wheel controls and Mic

Options
  • 08-07-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

71qBysIHhfL._SL1500_.jpg
    Hi,

I have installed the JVC KD-R861BT unit in my car and have the steering wheel controls set up aswell. The input for the steering wheel controls is a 3.5mm patch lead that goes into the mic slot in the radio.
    I'm wondering where how I connect the 3.5mm microphone then?
    Would a splitter work?

I have added an image of the back of the radio

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

The connection on the patch lead is 3.5mm but it doesn't go into the microphone input on the radio. The 3.5mm for the steering wheel controls needs its own input, if the radio doesn't have one it won't work. Plugging it into the microphone input will do nothing.

Check the radio for a steering wheel control input. If it doesn't have one get in contact with wherever you bought the radio & ask if they will exchange it for a radio WITH hard-wired steering wheel control capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

I have the steering wheel controls working. It's the microphone that I don't have working because I don't know where to plug it in. There's only 1 3.5mm at the back of the radio and I assumed that was for Steering wheel controld and they work.
    Im confused now :confused::confused::confused:

Ok, if your steering wheel controls are working then your mic goes elsewhere. Some Bluetooth cd/tuners have a microphone built into the front panel & don't need a separate mic, does your radio have a built in mic?

it doesn't have a built in mic. form the manual it looks as if i plugged the steering wheel controls into the mic jack so i don't know how that worked.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/903838/Jvc-Kd-R961bt.html?page=27#manual

Looks like a fluke then. From the manual your radio does not have a hard-wired remote input, but it's still having some effect for some reason. You could try a splitter but I imagine that even if it did work you might have problems using them both together - interference on the mic during a call or the radio retuning your preset stations when you get a phone call :p My fear would be input from the steering wheel controls eventually damaging the microphone input in some way.

If you really want to be able to use your steering wheel controls it might be best to replace the radio unit for one with a hard-wired remote input. The 3.5mm input would normally be marked 'WR'. If you're not too bothered about the steering wheel controls, remove the adaptor & patch lead, plug in your mic & off you go!

• Advertisement

ya i think il just use the mic. all the steering wheel controls do is turn volume and station which is pretty easy on the unit anyways. thanks for your help

Advertisement