Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crank Arm ReThreading

Options
  • 08-07-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I carelessly installed one of my bicycle peddles on the wrong thread of the crank arm.

The thread within the crank arm appears badly damaged.

Are there any bike shops around Dublin which offer a retreading service or is this even possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Does the correct pedal still fit into this thread?
    Maybe it goes in so far and then goes tight? If this is the case I would try some oil or grease on the threads and try refitting it. If it's too hard to turn stop and get the threads re-cut.
    Maybe the pedal threads are damaged - this can be fixed with a needle file. If it's the arm, the thread may need to be cleaned with a cutter of the original size thread. If you cut a new thread, the pedal won't fit.
    A decent bike shop or garage should be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Try installing the pedal from the opposite side of the crank. If its just the first few threads that are damaged, installing the pedal from the opposite side will sort it. This only works if the damage is minor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If a cheapo or hacker try putting the likes of chemical metal into crank arm and try putting pedal into that then leave to set! Won't come out again but may give you some use

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

maybe try your LBS, I had to get my bottom bracket rethreaded a few months back so they may be able to do similar with crank

Advertisement