Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Kencollins wrote: »
    I may have a solution for you.

I had the exact same issue last night.

You need to format the SD card in your PC.

Mine was corrupt (even though it appeared fine). As soon as I did a quick format, put it in the drone and turned it on, it connected first time.

Ken
    How do you format the SSJ card? Do I just put it in the computer? I've had a family emergency do haven't had time to go to Maplin but will update you guys when I know what's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Shannon757 wrote: »
    How do you format the SSJ card? Do I just put it in the computer? I've had a family emergency do haven't had time to go to Maplin but will update you guys when I know what's going on

Does your computer have a micro sd reader? If so, stick in the card. Go to my computer, right click on the sd card, and click format. Leave all the settings as they are, and hit format.

Are you in the Shannon area? I work there Monday to Friday so if you need help id be happy to help.

If you want to confirm if the sd card is the problem, just remove it from the drone while it's off. Turn on the drone and try to connect the dji go app. If it connects properly without the sd card inserted, then there is your answer!

Kencollins wrote: »
    Does your computer have a micro sd reader? If so, stick in the card. Go to my computer, right click on the sd card, and click format. Leave all the settings as they are, and hit format.

Are you in the Shannon area? I work there Monday to Friday so if you need help id be happy to help.

If you want to confirm if the sd card is the problem, just remove it from the drone while it's off. Turn on the drone and try to connect the dji go app. If it connects properly without the sd card inserted, then there is your answer!

Hi Ken.

I'm not sure if it has a micro SD card reader. I will give that a go.

I'm not in the Shannon area. The username.was picked because of the airport.

Many thanks.
    Shannon757

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dr.TV

@Shannon757
    When you open up the DJI app and you have the phantom listed as your device, have you chosen the Phantom 3 advanced from the drop down list, instead of the Phantom 4? I know the Phantom 4 shows up as default.

Dr.TV wrote: »
    @Shannon757
    When you open up the DJI app and you have the phantom listed as your device, have you chosen the Phantom 3 advanced from the drop down list, instead of the Phantom 4? I know the Phantom 4 shows up as default.

Yes I have. It still only comes up "how to connect"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

* You don't need any sd card - so you could take it out - shouldnt make any difference though.

* I would check the cable - make sure you are not using one of those short charging cables with no data lines connected - just try a new cable.

* You can fly the drone without the phone attached - so take the props off and see if you can start the drone motors without phone (bring sticks together and down)
    If you cannot do this - then the controller is not in sync with the drone - see manual on how to resync controller to drone.

If you can start the drone from the controller - then the phone,cable or one of the usb socket is likely faulty.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    * You don't need any sd card - so you could take it out - shouldnt make any difference though.

* I would check the cable - make sure you are not using one of those short charging cables with no data lines connected - just try a new cable.

* You can fly the drone without the phone attached - so take the props off and see if you can start the drone motors without phone (bring sticks together and down)
    If you cannot do this - then the controller is not in sync with the drone - see manual on how to resync controller to drone.

If you can start the drone from the controller - then the phone,cable or one of the usb socket is likely faulty.

I tried that and the drone starts. I'm using the cable that came with it. Would it be gone wrong already?

I've used all my cables and followed the steps each time and still only get "how to connect"

I tried that and the drone starts. I'm using the cable that came with it. Would it be gone wrong already?

Ok so its doesnt seem like the drone... Its either the remote, the cable or the phone.
    Next thing to try if its not the cable is another phone - if that doesnt work you maybe should try the dji help website - they have manned help forum there and they may need to replace your remote transmitter if they think its faulty.

“Roll it back”

Ok so its doesnt seem like the drone... Its either the remote, the cable or the phone.
    Next thing to try if its not the cable is another phone - if that doesnt work you maybe should try the dji help website - they have manned help forum there and they may need to replace your remote transmitter if they think its faulty.

I'll try the phone but it'll be next week before I can get one. Would it still be worth bringing it into Maplin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

the DJI go App, the RC or the craft itself might need to be updated!
    I have a Phantom 3 Pro, didn't use it for a good while, then a job came up requiring aerial photography and i updated but eventually ran into the same problem! the RC wouldn't connect to the craft!
    I kept updating until everything connected.

keep at it

Fionn wrote: »
    the DJI go App, the RC or the craft itself might need to be updated!
    I have a Phantom 3 Pro, didn't use it for a good while, then a job came up requiring aerial photography and i updated but eventually ran into the same problem! the RC wouldn't connect to the craft!
    I kept updating until everything connected.

keep at it
    How would I update the drone or the RC?

How would I update the drone or the RC?

I wouldnt attempt this if it was working before... unlikely to help matters.

You should definitely talk to the guys at dji first - it may be a faulty remote - although more likely just misconfigured phone software - but either way - these are they best guys for you to sort it for you...

here -> http://www.dji.com/support/product/phantom-3-adv

“Roll it back”

the RC and the craft might need to be re-binded, you'd need to do a bit of research for that!

All i can say is that updating solved my problem, then it hadn't been updated since I got it so i had to update it about four times or so. You'll eventually have to update it but I guess the advice to go to to DJI support is probably the best way forward at the moment.

the RC and the craft might need to be re-binded,
    He is saying that he can control the Aircraft ok from the remote- so the firmware and binding to aircraft seems all ok or he wouldnt be able start the motors

- the issue he says he has is the phone wont connect to the remote controller.

Which is sounds to me like a remote controller issue (damaged usb port or usb cable) or messed up dji go application on the phone.

“Roll it back”

ah i get you!

So many variables eh?

ah i get you!

So many variables eh?

Yeah - so much can go wrong - The first thing Support will ask him to do will probably to update the firmware.. but as he had to ask how to do it - I think its best done under their guidance. There are plenty of tales of messing up the range and even bricking the P3's while updating the firmware.

eg. This thread (link) of horrors

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'd still be leaning towards a "faulty" DJI app.
    Maybe, uninstall it and reinstall it again. It might take a couple of tries.

If not this, then a faulty cable would be my next option.
    Try using the cable to download something to your computer(photos or something). Make sure you turn off the WiFi on the phone or else it will download the photos over the internet.
    If this works then the cable would seem to be Ok.

After that the transmitter(possibly the USB port) may be faulty but you would be very unlucky if your transmitter was faulty given that it is only a couple of months old and the number of units that DJI sell.

Did you ring Maplin or Model Heli services ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'd still be leaning towards a "faulty" DJI app.
    Maybe, uninstall it and reinstall it again. It might take a couple of tries.

If not this, then a faulty cable would be my next option.
    Try using the cable to download something to your computer(photos or something). Make sure you turn off the WiFi on the phone or else it will download the photos over the internet.
    If this works then the cable would seem to be Ok.

After that the transmitter(possibly the USB port) may be faulty but you would be very unlucky if your transmitter was faulty given that it is only a couple of months old and the number of units that DJI sell.

Did you ring Maplin or Model Heli services ?

I have Uninstalled the app a number of times but still the same.

I will try the cable with the computer but it seems to be fine.

I don't think it's the transmitter. I only used it a few times, 6 flights I think.

I will try get into Maplin tomorrow. I've been very sick so it's hard to get in.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated

I will try get into Maplin tomorrow...

hopefully you will find someone there who will get it working for you - I wouldn't leave it with them unless absolutely necessary. Not anything that delicate.

I left an expensive CCTV camera setup with them that kept rebooting randomly - I was very careful and bubble wrapped it - and photoed it as I was handing it in - it came back in a bag all bent up with footprint on it - and a note to say "No Fault Found".

They were insistent I took it but I steadfastly refused letting them hear the clanking of the some loose bits rattling about inside it - and I had photos of it on their desk in perfect cosmetic condition.
    Eventually I got a decent discount off another model as that version wasn't available anymore - but he wouldn't do a refund or replacement.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

hopefully you will find someone there who will get it working for you - I wouldn't leave it with them unless absolutely necessary. Not anything that delicate.

I left an expensive CCTV camera setup with them that kept rebooting randomly - I was very careful and bubble wrapped it - and photoed it as I was handing it in - it came back in a bag all bent up with footprint on it - and a note to say "No Fault Found".

They were insistent I took it but I steadfastly refused letting them hear the clanking of the some loose bits rattling about inside it - and I had photos of it on their desk in perfect cosmetic condition.
    Eventually I got a decent discount off another model as that version wasn't available anymore - but he wouldn't do a refund or replacement.

I won't. I will try get it fixed there and then. If it doesn't work would I be entitled to a refund. As I say I only flew it less than 10 times

I won't. I will try get it fixed there and then. If it doesn't work would I be entitled to a refund. As I say I only flew it less than 10 times

Some places are fine with giving refunds - but I don't think they *have* to give a refund if it worked even once when you got it.
    see: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

Quick google - and here are some people with same problem who have fixed it - in order of difficulty to fix... up to you if you want to attempt it yourself - instructions are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7ntc2mae0 (faulty usb cable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRA-oE2eZE4 (this guy with same problem downgraded the firmware to an older version -fixed- he shows how to do it)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=60962&page=1#pid474235 (solution: faulty usb port)

https://forum.dji.com/thread-50250-2-1.html (Solution: one had faulty usb port on remote - one downgraded the firmware)

“Roll it back”

Some places are fine with giving refunds - but I don't think they *have* to give a refund if it worked even once when you got it.
    see: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

Quick google - and here are some people with same problem who have fixed it - in order of difficulty to fix... up to you if you want to attempt it yourself - instructions are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7ntc2mae0 (faulty usb cable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRA-oE2eZE4 (this guy with same problem downgraded the firmware to an older version -fixed- he shows how to do it)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=60962&page=1#pid474235 (solution: faulty usb port)

https://forum.dji.com/thread-50250-2-1.html (Solution: one had faulty usb port on remote - one downgraded the firmware)
    If it is a faulty usb port I hope they can fix it. If not I will trythe firmware. I have it out in the car at the moment to bring it to the shop tomorrow if I have time

Well I went in and the man in Maplin tried to connect it, couldn't so said they would send it back to DJI and that DJI would send me out a new one. Only problem is it will take about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Well I went in and the man in Maplin tried to connect it, couldn't so said they would send it back to DJI and that DJI would send me out a new one. Only problem is it will take about a month.

Bit of a disappointment but at least you will have a properly working drone at the end of it.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Bit of a disappointment but at least you will have a properly working drone at the end of it.

I know, I was hoping he would fix it but he didn't have a clue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard the other day. It is used but as new. Included hard backpack carry case and a spare battery. Including delivery the lot cost less than €500. Having a good time learning to fly it.

One of my first training flights.

I did program a flight path on Saturday. It would not fly it as it had a Corner Radius Error. Tried to work it out but then the wind had come up making the conditions unsafe. Think I will rewrite the flight path and try again another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

CabanSail wrote: »
    Picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard the other day. It is used but as new. Included hard backpack carry case and a spare battery. Including delivery the lot cost less than €500. Having a good time learning to fly it.

One of my first training flights.

I did program a flight path on Saturday. It would not fly it as it had a Corner Radius Error. Tried to work it out but then the wind had come up making the conditions unsafe. Think I will rewrite the flight path and try again another day.

That's a very impressive video from it. This your first drone? Bit weary about spending that amount on my first drone but I know I wouldn't be happy with poor video quality that cheap drones have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes - First drone. I actually pre-ordered a Lily but recently cancelled that just prior to them pulling the plug themselves.

What I want is decent video but more importantly RAW still images. Have some plans for some simple videos for a website but the ability to capture RAW images from an aerial perspective is very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

CabanSail wrote: »
    Yes - First drone. I actually pre-ordered a Lily but recently cancelled that just prior to them pulling the plug themselves.

What I want is decent video but more importantly RAW still images. Have some plans for some simple videos for a website but the ability to capture RAW images from an aerial perspective is very interesting.

Mine me asking where you got the drone? From looking around you definitely got a good deal

Advertisement