Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR gaming rental

Options
  • 08-07-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Would there be an interest or demand for renting high end pc and vr system. Essential everything you need including games pre installed. Would you rent on a per night or weekly basis? What would you consider a reasonable weekly cost? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

God no. I imagine there would have to be a huge deposit and you couldn't trust people to mess with the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Cormac... wrote: »
    God no. I imagine there would have to be a huge deposit and you couldn't trust people to mess with the computer.

Was just thinking that, plus ye'd have every half-arsed scam merchant lining up to fleece the gear too.

Be a lot safer albeit more expensive to run a walk-in VR parlour/arcade than to rent it.

If anything, I could potentially see it causing a resurgence of gaming cafés and the like. Can you imagine how cool that would be? A room outfitted with half a dozen or a dozen VR sets and getting to play against or with all of these people?

I'd absolutely spend a fair amount to be able to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If anything, I could potentially see it causing a resurgence of gaming cafés and the like. Can you imagine how cool that would be? A room outfitted with half a dozen or a dozen VR sets and getting to play against or with all of these people?

I'd absolutely spend a fair amount to be able to do that!

Pfft, you think that'll be something, wait until the Strip Clubs and Sex Shops get their hands on it.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Pfft, you think that'll be something, wait until the Strip Clubs and Sex Shops get their hands on it.

... I'd absolutely pay to do that too ...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sonics2k wrote: »

"Why do all those gaming cafes have private rooms?"

"...Oh."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it would have to be a sealed system with everything attached to avoid tampering

maybe something like this but more secure but I can't see it working

phpl9bra1.jpg

php0riwp5.jpg

What would the battery life be like on a system like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What would the battery life be like on a system like that?

Around 1 hour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Never mind gaming cafes, there are loads of unused warehouses littered around the country (I actually have a warehouse, they're the must have these days).

Those wearable VR laptops would be ideal.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Never mind gaming cafes, there are loads of unused warehouses littered around the country (I actually have a warehouse, they're the must have these days).

Those wearable VR laptops would be ideal.

They'd be excellent, but how much longer do you think it would be before battery life gets to the point that makes them usable?

I'm thinking with regards to the all-night sessions, which would be incredible.

Having said that - I haven't personally used one, but I have a memory of someone saying that it's recommended you only use one for stretches of 45 minutes before rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

It will be interesting to see how it is used by other businesses and how it changes gaming.

mhairt wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how it is used by other businesses and how it changes gaming.

I reckon other businesses would likely move into the AR world, if hololens and other competitors prove successful.

Having said that, it's hard to see a big movement until the price of the comes down. Realistically you're looking at a near €3000 per unit for VR, especially if you want the best performance, which would likely be what a business needs.

They'd be excellent, but how much longer do you think it would be before battery life gets to the point that makes them usable?

I'm thinking with regards to the all-night sessions, which would be incredible.

Having said that - I haven't personally used one, but I have a memory of someone saying that it's recommended you only use one for stretches of 45 minutes before rest.
    If you think about it gamers aren't going to be able to run around for more than an hour at a time. I think most multiplayer games last at most 15 minutes, if the backpacks could be remotely put into sleep mode once a game is over it would save battery. I think new batteries can be recharged without draining them fully as well, so just putting them on a rack with charging built in should be enough to keep them running for the day. Even if it did ruin the batteries you can buy them in bulk for cheap enough.

The cost of hardware (especially as nothing really exists yet) is going to be huge, probably €2000 per player.

mhairt wrote: »
    I think it's going to create a new type of gaming. I don't think the standing experience is going to take off in the home. I think once the gimmick wears off that people just won't have the space to utilise it properly and the requirements for playing with a friend in the same room are way to high.

But I can see a demand for comercial premises that are VR ready. The likes of laser quest/airsofting could be incorporated into VR really easily. A large warehouse could be kitted out with temporary movable walls so you could touch the VR world (of course the software would need to allow that kind of adjustment). I think VR centres could be a very real business next year. Go there for the space, access to top end VR stuff. I plan on using VR at home for sim racing, I think that will be a permanent move. But if I want to race friends it's impossible, most don't use a PC for gaming, but we could go to a VR centre and race each other.

There are loads of large buildings empty up and down the country in industrial estates. Very little work outside of getting electricity and internet in would be needed to be ready for customers.

Just thinking about lasertag or whatever, that's where I see AR being incredible. Instead of planting you in a virtual world, imagine if they managed to get AR elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Just thinking about lasertag or whatever, that's where I see AR being incredible. Instead of planting you in a virtual world, imagine if they managed to get AR elements.
    There's a company that's doing something like that with VR.

It would, a disadvantage I could see to AR is that you'd have to provide some of the environment and make it look good. With a VR setup it could look like crap because the only reason a wall is there is to give tactile feedback. An AR laser tag setup may only be able to be used as a AR laser tag experience, VR allows the space to become something entirely different pretty easily.

I think the main thing for gamers wanting to leave their real life behind is the use of avatars. In AR you're going to see your friend. In VR you're going to see your friend's avatar.

I haven't really seen much AR is use, it's still just a concept in my mind. For all I know AR headsets that can switch between AR and VR will become the norm.

There's just so many commercial ventures with both AR and VR, if they're ever used. Even something like an Escape Room!

There's just so many commercial ventures with both AR and VR, if they're ever used. Even something like an Escape Room!
    There are loads of comercial applications. I've already seen the likes of cad companies using it to demonstrate things like buildings. But I wouldn't be surprised to see VR being the norm in all CAD departments.

It's going to become the norm for training to I think. All those massive comercial simulators for training airline pilots will get a dramatic price reduction as they no longer need to build and entire cockpit.

I actually think the VR headsets are on shaky ground when it comes to gaming, they' will be the preserve of enthusiasts for a while yet. It's all the other uses that make me believe it's here to stay. The comercial side will probably be a better way to develop higher end gear, the problem with the consumer market is we're not as willing to pay for that type of development.

Advertisement