Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any advantages to selling a house now?

Options
  • 08-07-2016 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

In 5 years or so, property value will have increased quite a bit, so thats a very good reason to wait a few years before selling.

Are there any advantages to selling sooner rather than later, such as a greater abundance of buyers for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

BogMonkey wrote: »
    In 5 years or so, property value will have increased quite a bit, so thats a very good reason to wait a few years before selling.

Are there any advantages to selling sooner rather than later, such as a greater abundance of buyers for example?

Brexit could affect the Irish economy,certainly the agricultural sector and export sector are going to take heavy hits. Things mightn't be so "boomy"
    here in a year or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

What makes you think in 5 years 'property value will have increased quite a bit'?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Hopefully in 5 years time, a lot more houses will have been build, reducing the pressure on supply and lowering prices.

Why are you selling? Are you looking to move, is it an investment property? What difference does 5 years make to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

mel123 wrote: »
    What makes you think in 5 years 'property value will have increased quite a bit'?

Value has gone up a great deal since 2012 and seems to be continuing to rise. I read a few articles like this:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rise-in-house-prices-to-bring-levels-close-to-2007-peak-325068.html
    Humour Me wrote: »
    Hopefully in 5 years time, a lot more houses will have been build, reducing the pressure on supply and lowering prices.

Why are you selling? Are you looking to move, is it an investment property? What difference does 5 years make to you?
    I got this business project that I need to invest in now otherwise I lose what might be a brilliant opportunity. So 5 years makes an enormous difference to me, every month right now is crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Value has gone up a great deal since 2012 and seems to be continuing to rise. I read a few articles like this:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rise-in-house-prices-to-bring-levels-close-to-2007-peak-325068.html

House prices crashed in 2008 so of course they are higher now then 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Weigh up your expected return from investing in the business opportunity v the expected rise you think will happen to your property. Whichever is highest is the choice for you if it's purely financial.

Nobody knows if prices will rise, fall or crash again for sure you just have to take a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm always willing to look at a business opportunity and take a certain amount of risk. If you evaluate the business and decide to do it, you sell the house.
    If you don't, deciding to sell the house is a different decision. Your looking at the opportunity cost. If you sell, what will you do with the money? How much tax will you pay on the transaction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I got this business project that I need to invest in now otherwise I lose what might be a brilliant opportunity. So 5 years makes an enormous difference to me, every month right now is crucial.

Dublin prices are reaching the upper limit and other cities are getting close due to the central bank mortgage rules. Rural houses can rise a bit more but few people want to live there so won't.

If you need money now then you'll definitely get a quick sale in Dublin and the other large cities. The price might increase hugely in the next few years, but there could be no buyers. If anyone knew what the market will be like in 5 years we wouldn't have such cyclical swings between bull and bear markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Homer Simpson "pumpkins will keep rising through November" logic in use there.

Past performance != future performance. Right now Brexit could result in prices rocketing as finance and other EU regulation requiring jobs (the European Medicines Agency has told staff they can move with their jobs or take redundancy) look for English speaking EU locations; or result in them collapsing as the economy tanks due to limited access to a major trading partner. Either is very possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

No one knows what will happen,
    theres changes in euro,sterling value.
    Some british companys are thinking offices to moving to dublin,or france,holland
    we are in the eu , we speak english .
    We trade a lot with the uk.
    is the house in dublin or in a rural area .
    if house is in longford it may not make much difference .
    at least to house prices outside dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This thread sounds like something from 2005-2006... after all that's happened since, have we not learned at this stage that property speculation actually isn't a Win-Win game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This thread sounds like something from 2005-2006... after all that's happened since, have we not learned at this stage that property speculation actually isn't a Win-Win game?

I think the only thing that was learned is there are booms and busts. And since we just had a bust, the next one must be years/decades away and there's miles of gravy to be had in-between.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You can only sell it to one person, no matter when you sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the only thing that was learned is there are booms and busts. And since we just had a bust, the next one must be years/decades away and there's miles of gravy to be had in-between.

No, it mustn't. The UK entered a manufacturing recession prior to Brexit and will likely be in a full-on recession within months; we could easily follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Yet another reminder that this is accommodation and property. If you want to discuss Brexit and world economies this is not the place. Thanks

Advertisement