Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities for a new dad and new baby

Options
  • 08-07-2016 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Our daughter is just 9 weeks old and I would love something I could do as a father on a Saturday morning.

My wife goes to a breast feeding group on a Tuesday and has made friends from it, I was looking at either going swimming or going to the cinema, I see the Lighthouse cinema does special screenings for parents with babys..

Does anyone have any experiences with either of the above or maybe other suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The Lighthouse screenings are great. Definitely recommend. Himself brings himself swimming too, that's their thing together. And they go hiking (your baba might be a bit young!) too. Gives me a few hours on my own, as I'm a full time Mum, I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Parent and toddler groups, there is always some dads at my local ones. Baby is still very young so don't think the cinema would be appropriate.
    As baby gets older there will be lots more activities you can do together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

If it's more for meeting people yourself then parent and baby groups are the way to go. Nothing wrong with enjoying a movie in the baby cinema, you can't bring them after 6 months I think. You might actually do it as a family? They play normal movies with sound down and some low lighting - in the place I went anyway.

I know a few who do swimming with their babas but personally I'd wait till they are a bit older and you can see their reactions to it. 9 weeks is still all about feeding, pooping and sleeping!

Even a simple stroll out in the buggy would do for now.

Agreed there is more choice as baby gets older. Do all your research now and you'll know what's about when she's a bit older. And what age is suitable for the activities involved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

If it's just to get out and about while the baby's mam sleeps I suggest coffee shops! Enjoy hot coffee and reading the paper and chilling out while she is so little. Enjoy not having to entertain as it goes soooo quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

Steady lad, steady. At this stage it's more about getting them out for a walk and they'll sleep for a good deal of it. Giving mummy rest is the important part. In time it'll all be about playgrounds and trains and zoos as kids love.

Well done on being a hands on Dad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Have you looked into Waterbabies? Didn't do it myself but it looks great!

Baby massage classes could be worth a try, they're covered under many health insurance policies. I'd recommend Hilary Hooks if you're anywhere near D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Nine weeks?
    Can she see?

+1 for water babies, my brother brings his little fella every week & it's all daddies & babies at his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nine weeks?
    Can she see?

Of course she can see. It's a baby, not a rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rjphouse

Waterbabies definately a great thing to do. I did it with my lg (I'm mother) on a Wednesday but lots of dad's did it too. Great way to bond & at 9 weeks not too young my lg was 10 weeks when we started. Not Sure They run for the summer I'd say it depends on your location. They aren't cheap but well worth it. Our lg loves the bath loves getting her hair washed & we had a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

The lighthouse baby screenings are great, we went from when my daughter was a few months old, it was a good opportunity to see non-blockbuster type movies and she usually was asleep within 20mins! Husband brought her to baby swim classes from 6 months. Also lots of going for coffee & walks around marlay park. As your baby becomes more aware of her surroundings being out & about will encourage her curiosity, so anything is good for her. Just make sure you stay out for long enough that your wife gets a lie-in & a loooong shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

+1 for the lighthouse screenings! We went every Saturday for months and it was a brilliant way to get out of the house.

Swimming classes are great too but we found it a little difficult to get baby and parent dried and dressed afterward when only one of us went.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Steady, as someone else said! I'm mum to a 2 year old and a 15 week old. Bring the baba for a walk for now, your wife will love you for it. Believe me as they get older and you've to being them to playgrounds etc, the novelty might wear off a bit :) But I do understand where you're coming from. Swimming is good, but 9 weeks is young. Bear in mind they can only handle about 20-25 mins in the water and they get cold quite quickly, so you'd want to chose your pool carefully. In a couple of months definitely consider waterbabies or the like .They do take them young, but you may not get a Sat morning class. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that at 9 weeks, something like waterbabies is a heap lot of effort for a bit of bonding time. Even just sitting and talking/singing with baby will be enough for it, she'll be delighted with it.

And honestly, the way things are in my local area, all the dads are out walking babies on a Sat/Sun morning at all sorts of hours.You never know, you could hook up with a few other dads while you're out and about :)

Dobbit wrote: »
    +1 for the lighthouse screenings! We went every Saturday for months and it was a brilliant way to get out of the house.

Swimming classes are great too but we found it a little difficult to get baby and parent dried and dressed afterward when only one of us went.

Rathmines (Swan) have family day on Sunday and individual changing rooms. Which is handy with baba. Don't think there are classes, but you have have a good splash about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Wouldn't bother with cinema but definitely swimming would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

olaola wrote: »
    Rathmines (Swan) have family day on Sunday and individual changing rooms. Which is handy with baba. Don't think there are classes, but you have have a good splash about.

Really? This sounds great! I didn't even know they had a pool there! Is it a nice one?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

I've brought our little one to water babies and I would highly recommend it. Water babies was something we do together and then also just strolls around parks etc....

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Swimming is definitely a great one. We've been going regularly since my girl is 12 weeks old and she loves it although the pool on Sunday gone was much cooler and she was not impressed but she loved it all the same.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Really? This sounds great! I didn't even know they had a pool there! Is it a nice one?

I haven't been myself, but himself likes bringing the wee man. They change the depth of the pool on Sundays so it's not too deep for the little ones.
    The pool itself is quite new, the whole place was rebuilt about 3/4 years ago?

Advertisement