Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake Off 2016

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Another poster above mentioned Ruby, which was the one I was thinking of. I thought during the first episode that Candice might get some similar views. Years ago when I watched the X-factor and similar shows (I saw the error of my ways), I thought the better looking women always seemed to get more negative views.

It just seems to me that people make a big thing of people disliking a contestant who happens to be an attractive young woman. Last year, Ian was the most disliked contestant and Flora to a lesser extent. This year, Candice, Tom and Val all had their detractors. I know in other years, all kinds of different contestants were disliked. Why do people hone in on the young woman who might be disliked? There have a fair few young, attractive women on the show, they haven't all been disliked.

Ruby was disliked because her meek, self-deprecating thing seemed to be an act, and if you look at her Twitter these days (:eek::eek::eek:!), it's like a different person so I think people were right on the money with that.

And Candice was a big drama queen at the start of this series, declaring loudly that she'd be the one going home while heading back to her bench.

It's not as simple as people being envious of a contestant for how they look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah FFS:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/mar/16/noel-fielding-and-sandi-toksvig-to-host-new-great-british-bake-off

Fresh from ruining QI they've hired Sandi Toksvig for Bake Off. I cant stand her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm okay with both of them. Could have been an awful lot worse. Not sure about Prue Leith because I've never seen her on anything and I've read some negative things but I'm looking forward to giving it a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its going to be a shock alright but i'm willing to give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

No point in trying to make it the same as the original I suppose - I will watch anyway and hey, maybe it'll be a fresh take on the format!
    Having said that, I enjoyed the familiarity and 'sameness' of GBBO, I will miss that aspect of it.

Advertisement