Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Thought standard was poor compared to other years, Candice not very likeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

delighted for her i did love jane form the start but candice was a solid winner

And she has a Pug:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Val's going to Ayia Napa. Of course she is!:D

No surprises in the final, except for the raw pastry incidents. They went for bulk baking instead of actual showstoppers imo. I would have preferred if they baked less items and went for spectacular.

I'm going to miss it on BBC.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

appledrop wrote: »
    I have to say this is a very disappointing final. How can you be the GBBO winner if you can't even make a sausage roll or simple tart. I think it's a crap choice of bakes for the final. In other weeks we have had amazing show bakes. You want something outstanding for final not boring picnic food.

Agreed. A very underwhelming series. We were spoiled with the likes of Nadiya and Ian last year, innovative bakers but with excellent classical skills. And other seasons had a few of them. This year has been so under par.

Candice won't get as many opportunities as Nadiya, I think. She's just not very likeable even though her win was very fair.

Humour Me wrote: »
    Love the catch up at the end, Vals off to Aiya Napa :)
    RosyLily wrote: »
    Val's going to Ayia Napa. Of course she is! :D

She'll get baked over there alright! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I warmed to Candice tonight. She came across a lot more humble, and seemed genuinely shocked and delighted to win. She was head and shoulders above the other two and she had improved so much from the start of the series. Definitely a lower standard than previous years though. Sad it's the end of GBBO as we know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I warmed to Candice tonight. She came across a lot more humble, and seemed genuinely shocked and delighted to win. She was head and shoulders above the other two and she had improved so much from the start of the series. Definitely a lower standard than previous years though. Sad it's the end of GBBO as we know it!

Bit like The Apprentice imo, getting old and boring. Wont miss it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I really can't understand all the hatred towards Candice. I was hoping Andrew would win it but to be fair about it, Candice was definitely the best on the day and has been pretty consistent throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Very poor series all in all. The standard was way below previous years. To have three finalists who can't even make a Victoria sponge, sausage rolls or custard cream tarts, I mean it's laughable. I don't remember any previous series with so much raw pastry and soggy bottoms in the final weeks!

That said, I think Candice was a deserving winner. She was the most inventive and adventurous. She was the only one who really pushed the boat out and challenged herself. Though I would have loved to see Andrew do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May be the judges put up the tasks, which were relativley simple, Victoria sponge etc, in consideration of the talent at their disposal.

• Advertisement

She was head and shoulders above the other two

She wasn't really, it was all very even going into the last round. The competition was still wide open at that stage. Jane shaded her in the signature (the handclasp rather than handshake) and it was very tight between her and Jane in the technical challenge. If Jane hadn't undercooked that one thing, I think it would have been hard to choose between them. Nadiya had it sown up after the first two rounds in last year's final.

And throughout the show, Candice had more of a rollercoaster ride, whereas Jane was much more consistently good to great with only one really bad week.

Nadiya is a once off and has us all spoilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Elliott S wrote: »
    She wasn't really, it was all very even going into the last round. The competition was still wide open at that stage. Jane shaded her in the signature (the handclasp rather than handshake) and it was very tight between her and Jane in the technical challenge. If Jane hadn't undercooked that one thing, I think it would have been hard to choose between them. Nadiya had it sown up after the first two rounds in last year's final.

And throughout the show, Candice had more of a rollercoaster ride, whereas Jane was much more consistently good to great with only one really bad week.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Jane won the signature was demonstrated by the hand clasp? Paul completely dismissed that idea during the programme.

My wife is a very good baker and she reckoned Candice's was better. I would agree that it was tight in the technical challenge but Candice won the last round the Royal picnic by a country mile.
    So Candice was the clear winner having won one round outright, at least joint winner of a second and second to the person that came last in other rounds in the technical. So a very clear and worthy winner, it wasn't in doubt for a second.

I personally believe that Candice is more 'marketable' than Nadiya from last year and the producers should consider her for one of the roles being vacated by Sue and Mel. She has the baking knowledge and is funny and could be moulded into the Mel / Sue role. So here's hoping we see a lot more if her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Candice was the strongest overall for the 10 weeks and in the final. Well deserved, although I felt for Andrew when those bottoms were soggy.

I didn't understand the dislike of Candice at all. I thought she was lovely and always tried to push the boat out without a hint of arrogance or anything.

I'll miss Mel and Sue and the BBC. But if Richard Ayoade did become the presenter then that's something I'd wholeheartedly get behind :D

I'll look forward to Mary Berry's Jolly Good United Kingdom Baking Quest of Excellence presented by Mel and Sue as a rival show!

jimd2 wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that Jane won the signature was demonstrated by the hand clasp? Paul completely dismissed that idea during the programme.

I am indeed. Did he say that in this episode? I don't remember that. If he did say that, based on all the times he has doled out the handshake, I don't believe him. He's a bit of a drama queen, so I'd take him saying that with a pinch. Anytime he has given the handshake, the person who got it was the clear winner in that round. So yes, based on what I saw tonight and the handshake precedent he has set, I took from it that Jane's was his favourite from that round. Appearance-wise, it was mine too. I actually thought Candice's looked messy.

Once the final round offerings were tasted, it was clear who had won, but it wasn't clear at all heading into the final round. It was still wide open at that stage. Much different to last year when Nadiya owned the entire final.

If anyone is getting more telly work from this series, it's Selasi! Candice wishes she was as funny as Mel and Sue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I am indeed. Did he say that in this episode? I don't remember that. If he did say that, based on all the times he has doled out the handshake, I don't believe him. He's a bit of a drama queen, so I'd take him saying that with a pinch. Anytime he has given the handshake, the person who got it was the clear winner in that round. So yes, based on what I saw tonight and the handshake precedent he has set, I took from it that Jane's was his favourite from that round. Appearance-wise, it was mine too. I actually thought Candice's looked messy.

It was a query from Mel / Sue asking if the double clasp had indicated that Jane had won the round and Paul said a straight up No.

dixiefly wrote: »
    It was a query from Mel / Sue asking if the double clasp had indicated that Jane had won the round and Paul said a straight up No.

Well then, as said, I don't believe him! :P He was just being contrary. Anytime it has happened before that I have seen, the recipient was the clear winner of the round. It's like when they sit around and have the discussion about potential winners and losers each episode. Sometimes the winners/losers are so obvious but they still demur or pretend that they have a bit of deliberation to do. And Paul is definitely the most 'reality TV' of the lot of them and more inclined to try and introduce suspense to the proceedings. (which is why it didn't surprise me that he is making the move to Ch4.) So him saying that is definitely something I'd take with a pinch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I didn't understand the dislike of Candice at all. I thought she was lovely and always tried to push the boat out without a hint of arrogance or anything.

either do i,

is it the fact she was too pretty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Well done to Candice, she deserved it!

Loved the whole series, I actually liked that no one was perfect and had soggy bottoms even in the final. That was enormous pressure to make all of that in 5 hours :eek: I'm watching the Great British Menu with Michelin star chefs and even they hand up undercooked / raw / overcooked things. I thought it was more back to basics this year, I remember wondering in previous series how on earth they think of putting unusual ingredients into their bakes but this year seemed to be more on my wavelength that the likes of a bit of pesto makes something fierce fancy :D

It'll be interesting to see how it works out next year, sad to lose the format I love so much but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the next series

philstar wrote: »
    is it the fact she was too pretty?

Hmmm, well Nadiya was arguably prettier. Actually, definitely prettier, I'd say, and was an incredibly popular winner. Do YOU think people dislike Candice due to prettiness?

• Advertisement

This wouldn't have changed the result but it slightly irked me that they underplayed the obviously slightly burnt pastry on Candice's sweet pastries last night. But still, slightly burned is preferable to underdone or just plain raw!

They were like an Irish steak, 'well done'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hmmm, well Nadiya was arguably prettier. Actually, definitely prettier, I'd say, and was an incredibly popular winner. Do YOU think people dislike Candice due to prettiness?

I think that happens most years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

And Benjamina was absolutely stunning and I wanted her to win.
    Candice was just very confident which sometimes crossed over into arrogance imo. Whereas someone like benjamina was equally as good, if not better, and confident in her ability but never appeared arrogant.
    Perhaps candice's face is just more expressive and when she is feeling proud it looks more smug than happy/proud, and that's obviously not her fault! She also tried very hard with innuendos which irritated .e because the whole GBBO for me is about feigning innocence with innuendos etc. not just blatant trying to be funny and dirty for the sake of it. Minor irritation, didn't keep me up at night or anything :pac: But they are what I noticed about her. Also selasi was a babe and I wanted him to win too even though he lacked the ability in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Never really got all the hate for Candice myself, I think alot of people disliked her based on her pouty lips which is mad but there you go, personally I never really really warmed to Nadiya last year, but in both cases I think the right person won.
    Also I think the picnic basket was a good test, it was a number of quite different types of bakes altogether, seems a good test to me. I'm also more a fan of savoury food so can imagine dessert lovers may not have enjoyed as much.

I think that happens most years.

Does it? Again, Nadiya was very popular and I'd consider her better-looking, though that's subjective. Candice just wasn't that likeable to many, not everything can be explained away as jealousy. Some people weren't keen on Tom, some weren't keen on Val. Why not Candice? Or anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

There was a lot of online backlash (maybe not on here) to Ruby a few years ago. And there was a teenage girl on last year or the year before who got online abuse too. It does seem to be targetted at young women, for whatever reason.

I think the best contestant won - she was always trying to do that bit more than everyone else. And the sausage rolls looked great!

The Extra Slice on Fri won't have Paul. I liked both Nadiya and Candice. There just different to each other. There is a good market for both, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was a bit disappointed with the final between the results and the showstopper.

I just could never warm to Candice. I don't know why, but it had nothing to do with her physical appearance. I think she just came across as a bit standoffish. I didn't like her obvious innuendos & how every so often she'd bring up her nan & how poor her family were in an emotional way. Now to fair, she wasn't too over the top on that. I think what puts people off Candice & Ruby was the fact that Paul was so obviously enarmoured with both. He never really gave either a hard time or harsh word.

Disappointed the showstopper wasn't 1 mad cake. I felt it was a bit too rushed to get through all the bakes. There was no WOW piece even though all the foods looked so yummy.

Candice deserved the win, she was the better baker on the day. Sadly I can't really remember any wow pieces from the series except Tom's questionable looking bread :D the standard this year was quite low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

ahlookit wrote: »
    There was a lot of online backlash (maybe not on here) to Ruby a few years ago. And there was a teenage girl on last year or the year before who got online abuse too. It does seem to be targetted at young women, for whatever reason.

I think the best contestant won - she was always trying to do that bit more than everyone else. And the sausage rolls looked great!

This sounds awful bitchy in light of my previous post but she's hardly young! She's not old obviously but I wouldnt have described her as young either.

Advertisement