Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It certainly put an end to the age-old question of whether a jaffa cake is a cake or a biscuit :pac:

Watching Paul dunk his in tea made me gag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

whose??
    SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Can't say I agree. Most were lumpy.

Right, I've rewatched. First thing to mention is that the only stipulation for the mirror glaze is that it should cover the entire cake. There was no mention that the sides had to be completely smooth. The only one they specifically praised for not being lumpy on the sides was Jane's. The other one's who were praised for the appearance focussed on the mirror glaze: Rav, Val, Benjamina, Candace (tops, not sides) and George. These were all flawless, glaze-wise. They were praised for this and lumpiness wasn't mentioned. I didn't actually notice if all of these were lumpy though Benjamina's looked smooth on the sides to me, as did George's and all of the above bar Candice's looked gorgeous. If they weren't mentioning lumpiness, then I guess either they weren't lumpy or they didn't consider it a more important factor than getting the mirror glaze right. They're the judges! Some of the cakes were terribly lumpy but I don't know how you can say they all were. On rewatch, at least three that I saw weren't, Jane's, George's and Benjamina's.

LizT wrote: »
    I think Candice will get on my nerves and also Val.

Candice seems like the eager-to-please contestant. This year's Flora!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Elliott S wrote: »
    Right, I've rewatched. First thing to mention is that the only stipulation for the mirror glaze is that it should cover the entire cake. There was no mention that the sides had to be completely smooth. The only one they specifically praised for not being lumpy on the sides was Jane's. The other one's who were praised for the appearance focussed on the mirror glaze: Rav, Val, Benjamina, Candace (tops, not sides) and George. These were all flawless, glaze-wise. They were praised for this and lumpiness wasn't mentioned. I didn't actually notice if all of these were lumpy though Benjamina's looked smooth on the sides to me, as did George's and all of the above bar Candice's looked gorgeous. If they weren't mentioning lumpiness, then I guess either they weren't lumpy or they didn't consider it a more important factor than getting the mirror glaze right. They're the judges! Some of the cakes were terribly lumpy but I don't know how you can say they all were. On rewatch, at least three that I saw weren't, Jane's, George's and Benjamina's.

I think you need to google mirror cake to see the quality that should be achieved.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I think you need to google mirror cake to see the quality that should be achieved.

I guess they're taking into account that these are the best amateur bakers in the country, not pros. Sort of like how the contestants on Masterchef: The Professionals are judged at a higher standard than the regular Masterchef show. They are likely also taking into account time constraints and nerves.

Another thing about the show is, these likely aren't the 12 best. They need a range of contestants and probably a range of abilities. Then you need to find people willing to go on TV and that cuts the field down even more! I'm sure there is an amateur baker in the country that can do a professional-standard mirror glaze but where are they and do they want to be on television?

EDIT: And yes, professional mirror cakes are wow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I find it interesting that people ar giving out about fair praise for what were good glazes under the conditions of first week etc., yet will turn around and give out that the Irish bake off is too critical and doesn't take account of the contestants being amateurs who are using unfamiliar equipment and baking under unfamiliar pressure..

I found the judges fair and balanced tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Missed it, does anyone know if it is repeated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Anyone else think Jane is a dead ringer for Hayley from Corrie? Or is it just me?

115207.jpga1455083521b6157e50b9d6138a51003.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

tringle wrote: »
    Missed it, does anyone know if it is repeated, thanks

It used to be repeated on a Sunday afternoon. That was a couple of years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Yep its repeated on BBC1 @16.15 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

The look on Mary's face when Paul dunked his jaffa was priceless..

I'm not the biggest fan of shop-bought Jaffa cakes but I'd loooove to try a homemade one.

I follow the GBBO thread on Digital Spy Forums (very good, busy thread if anyone is interested, it's in the Reality TV forum), and lots of people there seem bemused about homemade jaffa cakes supposedly being a British classic! :D Nobody on-thread appears to have made or even tried one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I don't get it why they pretend is the 'next' day when it's obvious that all bakes are filmed on the same day (everybody is wearing the same clothes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

j@utis wrote: »
    I don't get it why they pretend is the 'next' day when it's obvious that all bakes are filmed on the same day (everybody is wearing the same clothes)?

I am nearly certain it is over two days, and they just wear the same clothes for continuity.

Source: vague remember of Paul Hollywood being interviewed and he revealed this.

I am nearly certain it is over two days, and they just wear the same clothes for continuity.

Source: vague remember of Paul Hollywood being interviewed and he revealed this.

Yeah it's shot over two days. It's been mentioned on Bit on the side also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

When is bit on the side?

Tonight on BBC2 @ 9pm.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    When is bit on the side?

I prefer your name for it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

So happy this is back on, my 9 year old daughter is as obsessed about it as I am. Selasi and benjamia seem to be early favourites. Think Louise (hairdresser from Cardiff) will be next to go. And the one that is going to bug me is Candice, every time the camera was on her she was pouting. Looking forward to seeing the contestants getting more comfortable within their surroundings and see the true talent come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Elliott S wrote: »
    whose??

I'll have a look back at the recording later. But I watched the show with my own eyeballs and recall a few of them being practically flawless.

Fair enough I also watched with my eyeballs but different strokes all I know is when I trained if I'd presented any of them to my chef they'd have been thrown at me.

• Advertisement

Fair enough I also watched with my eyeballs but different strokes all I know is when I trainedif I'd presented any of them to my chef they'd have been thrown at me.

There's the difference. These are amateur bakers. They also have to deal with the production that goes with making a TV show and it was their first bake. To compare them to trained or professional bakers is unfair. Mary and Paul understand this and therefore allow some leeway when providing feedback.

Paul is. There are plenty of amateurs that can produce better than that I posted saying I understand the stress etc and mirror glaze is very difficult but spade a space they weren't perfect good but not perfect

Fair enough I also watched with my eyeballs but different strokes all I know is when I trained if I'd presented any of them to my chef they'd have been thrown at me.

These people don't have any professional training though and that's taken into account, I'm sure. If I rightly recall, they're not allowed to have taken any courses, though I'm not 100% sure of that.
    Paul is.

Paul's not a contestant though. If anything, his professional training might make him more sympathetic towards them, as pottering around yourself at home isn't the same as learning to be a master baker like him.

True look it's not something to argue about in not a professional I trained at 16\17 but only worked the odd time. I know non professional bakers that can produce to a higher standard that's why I comments that I believed they were far from perfect.

True look it's not something to argue about in not a professional I trained at 16\17 but only worked the odd time. I know non professional bakers that can produce to a higher standard that's why I comments that I believed they were far from perfect.

I'd say there are definitely amateur bakers that can produce a perfect mirror glaze cake. I just think a whole load of factors need to be considered in judging. I mean, the contestant that went last night produced three dud bakes and I'm sure he's way better than that at home. I'd also say time is a big issue! And the fact that nearly all these contestants have a working week behind them before they've even made the journey to GBBO central for the weekend, so tiredness is likely a huge factor too. I remember Nadiya explaining what her week was like, with preparing for the weekend's filming and being a stay at home mother at the same time. It sounded completely exhausting. And some contestants are parents and work as well. They must be pooped!

Totally agree I've said it on the other ggbo forum stress the weather the ingredients can differ there's loads of factors. I don't doubt they are talents and 90% of what was produces was of a solid standard. My point was don't tell someone something is flawless or perfect when it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hey everyone!

So happy Bake Off's back.
    So far, I really like Jane and Val; two older women with a bit of a sense of humour.

Candace irritated me from the minute I saw her.
    She really thought her mirror glaze was going to be the best. She's a bit cocky and what's with the awful lipstick?!

I think Kate is going to be annoying too (why do they always have to have the typical stay-at-home Mum who bakes all the time and is perfect at everything?).
    Anyway, loving the show so far.

fussyonion wrote: »
    (why do they always have to have the typical stay-at-home Mum who bakes all the time and thinks she is perfect at everything?)

FYP. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Has anybody had a go at them Jaffa Cakes? Mine looked fine at the start but started 'sweating' couple hours later. I'm wondering why is that? It can't be out of fear to be eaten :D
    Jaffa%20week1_zpsrlttbqqi.jpg

Jelly layer is a bit too thick, my tray wasn't big enough.
    Jaffa%20Cut%20week1_zpsnlddn596.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

j@utis wrote: »
    Has anybody had a go at them Jaffa Cakes? Mine looked fine at the start but started 'sweating' couple hours later. I'm wondering why is that? It can't be out of fear to be eaten :D

Jelly layer is a bit too thick, my tray wasn't big enough.

OMG! They look amazing! Well done

Advertisement