Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Daily Fail saying Jamie Oliver says he'd love to do it on Channel 4, I wouldn't even tune in to see how it looked, cannot stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

For me the move to C4 spells the beginning of the end for GBBO. Sounds awful but I would rather it just finished up with the BBC on a high note than move and go downhill and dragged out.
    Much like what happened Top Gear, new presenters, try to be exactly like to original but ended up a fail.
    Looks like the producers of GBBO got a bit too greedy and IMO it's gonna cost them in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

pc7 wrote: »
    Daily Fail saying Jamie Oliver says he'd love to do it on Channel 4, I wouldn't even tune in to see how it looked, cannot stand him.

Is that to host it or be a judge?? Either way I wouldn't like him to do it, nothing against him but think we have had enough of him. Channel 4 will probably end up doing a countdown-bake off-8 out of 10 cats special and kill it altogether, hosted by Jimmy Carr :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Jamie Oliver is a chef not a baker. They are two distinct disciplines. I wouldn't like to see him as a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Jamie Oliver is a chef not a baker. They are two distinct disciplines. I wouldn't like to see him as a judge.

Tom Kerridge presented the Creme de la Creme show. It just didn't compare positively to the bake off in any way at all, IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is that to host it or be a judge?? Either way I wouldn't like him to do it, nothing against him but think we have had enough of him. Channel 4 will probably end up doing a countdown-bake off-8 out of 10 cats special and kill it altogether, hosted by Jimmy Carr :mad::mad:
    Judge, it just sucks, wish the news hadn't broken until after this series. Was really looking forward to batter night tonight just feel the shine is gone from it all now.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3788142/I-d-love-judge-says-Jamie-Oliver-emerges-leading-contender-Bake-role-amid-speculation-Paul-Mary-s-future.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It just will not be the same watching the rest of the current series following this announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

he actually trained as a pastry chef, so would technically have more experience than Mary or Paul. Antonio Carluccios was where he worked as a pastry chef as well before starting with the naked chef stuff.

Judge, it just sucks, wish the news hadn't broken until after this series. Was really looking forward to batter night tonight just feel the shine is gone from it all

Exactly how I'm feeling. Can't quite muster the same enthusiasm now.

• Advertisement

But pancakes!!!!!! And Yorkshire puddings!!!!! And churroooooosss

I've never had a Yorkshire pudding in my life. My OH thinks I'm weird. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You're missing out. They're the best part of a roast dinner.

WHAT!!!!!!!! Seriously you are missing out! Their amazeballs !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You're missing out. They're the best part of a roast dinner.
    +100!!

But very rare to get a really good one - mostly they're stodgy, flavourless doughy affairs.

Absolute NIGHTMARE in a competitive scenario!!

Poor Tom.... and Candice (although the mean part of me is grinning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Paul fancies the knickers off Candice and doesn't even try to hide it.

• Advertisement

Lace pancakes is just perverse :eek:

This is going to be very interesting!

I prefer the ones where it's lace but filled in... Like a normal pancake but with a design... Same effect and you can stuff all the yummys in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"It's not quite as stiff as I'd like"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Red Kev wrote: »
    Paul fancies the knickers off Candice and doesn't even try to hide it.

My gf is picking up a strong gay vibe between Paul and Selasi. :pac:

Kate in trouble here.

• Advertisement

Why is Selasi working on the floor :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Jane to be star baker this week? Good comments on her puddings & churros!

Am I the only one that hoped selasi responded to Mary and Paul's complaint that they were to dark by laughing and saying
    Sometimes darker is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Well deserved star baker!

Mary: "They're a bit thin"
    Paul: " They're the right thickness "

Jesus lads, make yere minds up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well deserved star baker!
    I'm watching online - there appears to be a few minutes delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Woo hoo. Won't name as spoiler, but delighted to see x go home tonight. Irritated me from the start and I had this horrible vision of them ending up in the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Wrong person gone.

Just watching now. I've a lump in my throat. Mel, Sue, Mary and Paul together make Bake Off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Woo hoo. Won't name as spoiler, but delighted to see x go home tonight. Irritated me from the start and I had this horrible vision of them ending up in the final!

Agreed, delighted to see them go as they were a complete pain in the arse. Now if we can get rid of
    __Val__
    next week I'd be even happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Ah I'm sorry to see that person go - not my favourite character but thought they had more to give, room to grow etc.
    Delighted for star baker, liked from week one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I think Paul summed it up well, definitely not the weakest Baker, but had the worst week.

I'm fed up with
    val
    . Hope next week will see their departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I'm fed up with
    val
    . Hope next week will see their departure.

Aww man, i think
    Val
    is great, she is the lovable granny character for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

davo2001 wrote: »
    Aww man, i think
    Val
    is great, she is the lovable granny character for me.

She has got on my nerves previous weeks, but this week she was far more.. subdued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think judging them in isolation on the week in question doesn't make sense. If someone has been circling the drain all along and then all of a sudden has an ok week, they're safe. If someone has had nothing but good weeks and then has one shocking week, they're gone. Kate was one of the better bakers and shouldn't have gone IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Feck's sake :mad:

The first year I get into the show turns out to be its last - that's just typical

It's ok, all the back series are on Youtube!

pajor wrote: »
    I imagine Sue and Mel are contracted to the BBC and not the show. So have no obligation to stay.

But reading the BBC article about them leaving now, they said that they wouldn't stick with the show if it moved channel. Kudos to them so for sticking to their guns.

They don't exclusively work for the BBC, they've done stuff on ITV recently too, so this does seems to be solely on principle. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We never filled our yorkshire puddings, just had them plain on the side with the beef.

Are they usually filled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Never had filled yorkshires either but used to fill them with gravy as a kid (I may still do this, don't judge me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

That little song at the start perfectly shows how irreplaceable Mel and Sue are :(

InTheTrees wrote: »
    We never filled our yorkshire puddings, just had them plain on the side with the beef.

Are they usually filled?
    Nope
    We (my lil sister and I) fill them with with mash,stuffing, corn and turkey and gravy at Christmas though... Yummmm

he actually trained as a pastry chef, so would technically have more experience than Mary or Paul. Antonio Carluccios was where he worked as a pastry chef as well before starting with the naked chef stuff.

Maybe Mary but not Paul. Paul is a master baker so that would cover pastry AND the rest.

I think judging them in isolation on the week in question doesn't make sense. If someone has been circling the drain all along and then all of a sudden has an ok week, they're safe. If someone has had nothing but good weeks and then has one shocking week, they're gone. Kate was one of the better bakers and shouldn't have gone IMO.

Agreed. Val has been towards the bottom every week but never quite the worst so has managed to stay. Hardly seems fair. She seems very out of her depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Eurgghh. Batter week. This is coming from an English girl, but Yorkshire puddings, how boring.
    Pastry next week, that might make me feel more hungry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Elliott S wrote: »
    Agreed. Val has been towards the bottom every week but never quite the worst so has managed to stay. Hardly seems fair. She seems very out of her depth.

I feel the same about Val. Also, Rav too how has he managed to stay in the competition so long. From what i remember he seems to be constantly floating between alright and the very bottom

Oh dear lord gets worse and worse!!!

There is no tent big enough to contain one of those egos, let alone two!

Oooh, I like the suggestion of Jennifer Saunders and Ade Edmonson!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement