Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dinorebel

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yes exactly.
    Like I said before, there's always a wholesome goody goody stay-at-home Mum who for some reason, becomes irritating on the GBBO.
    To be fair she works as an acute care nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

dinorebel wrote: »
    To be fair she works as an acute care nurse.

And I'm really not getting the resentment being directed at her. She seems to just be as she is, not changing herself to suit the cameras. Seems to be a smart, hard working person from a very middle class background - is that a taboo now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree with the above posters - I'm FAR more irritated by Candice (Candace??) than Kate! She was like a petulant child last night when things didn't go her way.

Also, am I the only one who thought the majority of those showstoppers were just shapeless lumps of bread? The only one I could see actual definition and shape in was Andrew's (NI guy?) basked one - I got the overall doll shape of Kate's corn doll but it was a bit ill-defined. The rest, if we weren't told what they were meant to be, I'd really have struggled to guess!

Most of them sounded mighty tasty, mind you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Kate reminds me of Ian from last year. Smug.

I thought Andrew should have got star baker last night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I thought that Andrew would get star baker as well, especially as his barm brack in the signature challenge was one of the only ones that wasn't partly raw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

is this repeated?

Lovely Bloke, the episodes are usually uploaded to Youtube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Turtle_ wrote: »
    And I'm really not getting the resentment being directed at her. She seems to just be as she is, not changing herself to suit the cameras. Seems to be a smart, hard working person from a very middle class background - is that a taboo now?

I don't get the resentment directed at any of the contestants, tbh. Every year one or two seem to get the brunt of the audience's ire, yet they always seem decent people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don't get the resentment directed at any of the contestants, tbh. Every year one or two seem to get the brunt of the audience's ire, yet they always seem decent people.

But it's like real life there will always be people you don't warm too. Also the ways it's edited can make people irritating. Candice was starting to irk me this week when she thought she was going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I just saw her as genuinely upset. If it was something like Big Brother I'd probably despise a couple of them but I've never disliked a GBBO contestant. I think in any other context, like a different show or even real life, you'd consider them all sound but when they all seem pretty nice anyway any minor faults seem magnified.

It's normal to take a dislike to someone even if others like them. Candace acting like a petulant child doesn't help herself.

• Advertisement

According to BBC News, GBBO is leaving BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ITV will pick it up I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

If true.. that sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Link here - http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37344292

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

How can the BBC be so stupid as to allow this to happen.

Let's hope the only change that will happen with the move to a new broadcaster will be ad breaks. Hopefully the three rounds will stay the same. If any one of the judges or presenters go, it will be a disaster.

:mad:

Let's hope the only change that will happen with the move to a new broadcaster will be ad breaks. Hopefully the three rounds will stay the same. If any one of the judges or presenters go, it will be a disaster.

:mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3785814/BBC-loses-rights-broadcast-Great-British-Bake-current-series-hit-expected-ITV.html

We will just have to record it and skip the adverts! So much for Mary and Paul saying they wouldn't be moving........Could it continue without them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Terrible news that it will be gone from BBC. I hope that ITV or Sky keep it to three challenges and with the same presenters/judges.

The GIBO always feels rushed on TV3 with the hour long show and with only two challenges you don't really get to know the contestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'd think it's as simple as the fact that ITV can offer the production company a lot more money and there's a breaking point for BBC.

There's potential for money raising through ads as well as product placement that they don't have with BBC and at the end of the day money talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Channel 4 is the new home for the Bake Off.

Guardian saying though that not certain that the same judges and presenters will make the move. None of them were consulted during negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Mary berry won't let this happen. I can feel it. Mary will plonk herself down and make a nice lemon drizzle and have them all sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Ms Doodles knows the story.

14305255_1257026190982705_9163600429360420666_o.jpg

If it moves to ITV, I won't be watching. That is a station that I genuinely never watch. And the ad breaks will ruin it. If it's Channel 4, I might consider it.

I amazed that the BBC is doing this. It's been a huge success for them.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The three rounds are such an important part of the show. I think the best possible outcome of this situation is for the presenters, judges and format to remain exactly the same and for C4 to allocate a 90 minute slot to accomodate the show + ads.

I'd be gutted if either Mel, Sue, Paul and Mary don't return. I presume their contracts are with the production company and not BBC. Hopefully we'll have an announcement about it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It's f....ed just like Top Gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

On Newsnight they said Channel 4 is paying £25 million a year for it, about twice what BBC were prepared to pay. That explains a lot, BBC presenters very plssed off about it.

I don't see it working long term on Channel 4, it'll be back on BBC after the 3 year contract is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

C4, why? Maybe they need to demonstrate "quintessentially British" things now as part of their diversity charter also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Elliott S wrote: »
    If it moves to ITV, .

I'm with Virgin and we don't get proper ITV/UTV we get UTV Ireland its even more Sh1te than UTV! so we mightn't even get the opportunity not to watch!

• Advertisement

I'd be gutted if either Mel, Sue, Paul and Mary don't return. .

I just can't see it working if any of them don't return. Ugghh the thoughts of it.

Advertisement