Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They'll merge it with their Life on the Dole series and get them to bake Hash Brownies non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Heard on the radio this morning that the BBC have it until 2017 so we have another series until the move. :)

It also mentioned that Channel 4 have the right for three years (2018-2020) and the first series on Ch4 will be a celebrity version (I inwardly groaned when I heard that because it will be probably be reality "stars" galore on it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's a shame comic relief will miss out on the celeb version in the future.

Heard on the radio this morning that the BBC have it until 2017 so we have another series until the move. :)

It also mentioned that Channel 4 have the right for three years (2018-2020) and the first series on Ch4 will be a celebrity version (I inwardly groaned when I heard that because it will be probably be reality "stars" galore on it).

Personally, I think that the show will have run it's course by then. It's getting predictable, in contestants and content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm pretty sure this is the last series on BBC. First series on Channel 4 to be broadcast in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If Mary Berry leaves too, which she is strongly suspected to do, C4 have just paid 25 million for a property without its greatest assets.

It'll take them a long long time to build it up again.

A complete shambles all round. Can't believe both Love Productions and BBC managed to allow this to happen. Talk about self destruction!

End of a very good era :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

davo2001 wrote: »
    Ah bolox :(

My sentiments exactly

• Advertisement

Mel and Sue make the show IMO.

Was Mary B involved in the US version of the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feck's sake :mad:

The first year I get into the show turns out to be its last - that's just typical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just caught up on last week's episode. So weird watching it knowing that Mel and Sue won't be on it in future. They're just so good at what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I imagine Sue and Mel are contracted to the BBC and not the show. So have no obligation to stay.

But reading the BBC article about them leaving now, they said that they wouldn't stick with the show if it moved channel. Kudos to them so for sticking to their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Surely BBC can just do a 'different' cake based show with Sue and Mel. I've heard that Channel 4 don't even have the judges locked down.

Addle wrote: »
    Mel and Sue make the show IMO.

Was Mary B involved in the US version of the show?

I agree. They are the perfect foil to Paul's seriousness and they have a great rapport with the contestants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Surely BBC can just do a 'different' cake based show with Sue and Mel. I've heard that Channel 4 don't even have the judges locked down.

I wonder what does Love Productions actually own. They obviously own the name and trademark. Surely they can't have exclusive rights to the format though given all the cooking shows out there. For example, would they have rights to the 'signature bake', 'technical bake' and 'showstopper' format?

The most tactical thing the BBC can do is make its own baking show with a format as close as legally possible to GBBO. Get Mel, Sue, Mary and Paul on board. There is a warmth and charm to the show that comes very naturally to the BBC and is a major cause of its success.

The audience would follow the talent not the brand. Even if C4's The Great British Bake Off and "The Great BBC Bake Off" would air at the same time, BBC would definitely get the higher viewership.

(I think I'm at the bargaining stage of grief :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The most tactical thing the BBC can do is make its own baking show with a format as close as legally possible to GBBO. Get Mel, Sue, Mary and Paul on board. There is a warmth and charm to the show that comes very naturally to the BBC and is a major cause of its success.

Lack of ads helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

May be in their contract that they are not allowed to do their own format of the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Personally, I think that the show will have run it's course by then. It's getting predictable, in contestants and content.

I have to say I agree with this. Although GBBO is still enjoyable it is hard to see them using the same format and getting the same audiences indefinitely.

I would have guessed another season or maybe two with Mary, Paul, Mel & Sue and that would be about it. They might even have had enough of it themselves by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Daily Fail saying Jamie Oliver says he'd love to do it on Channel 4, I wouldn't even tune in to see how it looked, cannot stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

For me the move to C4 spells the beginning of the end for GBBO. Sounds awful but I would rather it just finished up with the BBC on a high note than move and go downhill and dragged out.
    Much like what happened Top Gear, new presenters, try to be exactly like to original but ended up a fail.
    Looks like the producers of GBBO got a bit too greedy and IMO it's gonna cost them in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

pc7 wrote: »
    Daily Fail saying Jamie Oliver says he'd love to do it on Channel 4, I wouldn't even tune in to see how it looked, cannot stand him.

Is that to host it or be a judge?? Either way I wouldn't like him to do it, nothing against him but think we have had enough of him. Channel 4 will probably end up doing a countdown-bake off-8 out of 10 cats special and kill it altogether, hosted by Jimmy Carr :mad::mad:

Jamie Oliver is a chef not a baker. They are two distinct disciplines. I wouldn't like to see him as a judge.

Jamie Oliver is a chef not a baker. They are two distinct disciplines. I wouldn't like to see him as a judge.

Tom Kerridge presented the Creme de la Creme show. It just didn't compare positively to the bake off in any way at all, IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is that to host it or be a judge?? Either way I wouldn't like him to do it, nothing against him but think we have had enough of him. Channel 4 will probably end up doing a countdown-bake off-8 out of 10 cats special and kill it altogether, hosted by Jimmy Carr :mad::mad:
    Judge, it just sucks, wish the news hadn't broken until after this series. Was really looking forward to batter night tonight just feel the shine is gone from it all now.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3788142/I-d-love-judge-says-Jamie-Oliver-emerges-leading-contender-Bake-role-amid-speculation-Paul-Mary-s-future.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It just will not be the same watching the rest of the current series following this announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

he actually trained as a pastry chef, so would technically have more experience than Mary or Paul. Antonio Carluccios was where he worked as a pastry chef as well before starting with the naked chef stuff.

Judge, it just sucks, wish the news hadn't broken until after this series. Was really looking forward to batter night tonight just feel the shine is gone from it all

Exactly how I'm feeling. Can't quite muster the same enthusiasm now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

But pancakes!!!!!! And Yorkshire puddings!!!!! And churroooooosss

Advertisement