Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Who is spreading cream on the sponge?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVO2Lr6kxvGQTvXCTpi_GD19cHWlqjeePtiBdn1BLpfu0rFIgG7sVUKMtT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I really, really, really want roulade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Omg yummy! I want a big chunck of cake now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

They look gorgeous. Feckin starvin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I'm stealing that cheesecake filling idea. Chocolate roulade and orange cheesecake. *drool*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Delighted for Andrew. Well deserved Star Baker. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Probably the right decision for Tom to go. He's had his moments, but had too many bad days and too many mad/alternative ideas.

Selassie has had the odd dodgy week too, so he could go next. Still hard to pick a winner.

Benjamina looks a bit like Michelle Obama, or is that just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Each weekend is a though two days. Just recover and get ready for the next weekend. Admire everyones' resilience.
    It had to be Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Fair play to Andrew. He knew he had to up his game and responded well to the disaster of last week.

Tom had a couple of good moments here and there, but he was trying too hard to be different all the time and the bakes suffered as a result. He might have benefited from trying to keep things more simple.

Selasi is on thin ice, I feel. Has his moments, a bit like Tom, but prone to bad blunders too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go next.

Jane's showstopper sounded great. Candice's sounded very poor and she seemed to struggle over all three challenges. Benjamina was a bit unfortunate what with her's not setting. I still think she needs to find another level if she's going to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Yay, Andrew! I actually whooped his name was called out!

Also did when Tom's name was called instead of Selasi's. Selasi was very lucky though. He'll go next, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I think Jane might be the dark horse of the competition. That fleur-de-lis pattern was amazing, and she's quite consistent.

Delighted Andrew got star Baker, a long time coming.

What a nice show. Was all fraught from cleaning and unpacking and trying to get a bed usable, then sitting with tea and a (package of) bakewell tarts watching mousse was so nice. I hope C4 don't make a total mess of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I think Jane might be the dark horse of the competition. That fleur-de-lis pattern was amazing, and she's quite consistent.

I've thought that Jane has had a shot of winning this season since the beginning. A few off moments had, but she clearly has a vast baking knowledge and set of skills.

Andrew was a well deserved Star Baker.

Turtle_ wrote: »

Not a dark horse at all, she's been strong from the start and apart from her wobble last week, she's been the most consistently good baker this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Elliott S wrote: »
    Not a dark horse at all, she's been strong from the start and apart from her wobble last week, she's been the most consistently good baker this series.

I was just about to say, surely she's the opposite of a dark horse!

Delighted for Andrew last night. He comes across as such a lovely person; his fellow contestants seem very fond of him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It was lucky I wasn’t hungry when I watched last night’s episode because it all looked absolutely delicious… I’ve never heard of marjolaine (“basically a Vienetta” according to Andrew) but wow now I want one!

Anything involving mousse is so stressful to watch though, remember Dorret’s mousse cake disaster last year when it didn’t set?
    anigif_enhanced-6067-1438804542-2.gif

I was so pleased for Andrew when he won Star Baker, it was well deserved and he was genuinely delighted :)

I do think Jane is one of the most consistent bakers and will get to the final, she’s so competitive though and she tries to hide it :D

I’m not surprised that Tom went, I’ve been predicting it for weeks – he seems to be excellent at bread but average at everything else compared to the other bakers, and he was trying too hard to be experimental which didn’t always work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there any way of turning off that video? :confused:

Makes it irritatingly difficult to read the post!

Delighted, along with most other people, that Andrew finally got the top spot - he's such a sweetheart!

Selasi is so laid-back he's going to fall over one of these days - I fear he'll be next for the chop though, the way things are going.

O/T - Candice really needs to stop with the lipstick thing, she looked like some kind of witch last night! I wonder if she'll make the final - I think a lot of the time she's marked far higher than (I think) she deserves (but what do I know?!)

What's the story now for the last few weeks (I've never watched the series before - is it down to four, and then three for the final show?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Delighted, along with most other people, that Andrew finally got the top spot - he's such a sweetheart!

Selasi is so laid-back he's going to fall over one of these days - I fear he'll be next for the chop though, the way things are going.

O/T - Candice really needs to stop with the lipstick thing, she looked like some kind of witch last night! I wonder if she'll make the final - I think a lot of the time she's marked far higher than (I think) she deserves (but what do I know?!)

What's the story now for the last few weeks (I've never watched the series before - is it down to four, and then three for the final show?

I think the lipstick is to detract from her fang teeth! She's a bit like Victoria Beckenham!

I think the lipstick is to detract from her fang teeth! She's a bit like Victoria Beckenham!

I've noticed that a lot of people whose top teeth are a bit wonky tend to contort their mouths a lot to cover it up, probably out of self-consciousness. My fella said he used to before his teeth were fixed with braces. And Victoria Beckham probably has decent enough teeth now but apparently the reason she doesn't smile in photos is out of habit from a time when her teeth were far less than perfect!

Delighted for Andrew last night. He comes across as such a lovely person; his fellow contestants seem very fond of him.

I literally whooped with joy when Andrew's name was called last night. That hasn't happened with any other baker this series (though I was very pleased when Benjamina was Star Baker too). I just feel like he has been so close a few times and thought he deserved Star Baker in Bread Week. Last week he was poor but overall, he is one of the better contestants.

I also cheered when Tom was eliminated but that was for more shallow reasons - I want to look at Selasi for another week and hear his sexy voice. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just catching up now (blasted Wednesday night course!) Yay Andrew. Delighted for him :-D

Just catching up now (blasted Wednesday night course!) Yay Andrew. Delighted for him :-D

Is it a cake making course?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Dovies wrote: »
    Is it a cake making course?? :)

Ha! I wish. Sadly no, it's a business course Only 12 weeks which is just as well because 2 weeks in and I'm loathing it :mad:

Who's the "actual" baker on the Extra Slice? :confused:

She's not even trying to play the game - what a spoilsport :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Ah damn, missed extra slice again. It wasn't on BBC NI because of the rugby. :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'd like to see Jane or Benjamina win. Was glad Andrew got star baker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

What do you mean the actual baker? Cherish is literally the most bad ass most talented pastry chef in Europe these days... Her work is legit the most incredible stuff I've ever seen...
    I can't post pics coz I'm on the app but look up some of her stuff
    She's a judge in the creme de la creme the professional bake off

What do you mean the actual baker? Cherish is literally the most bad ass most talented pastry chef in Europe these days... Her work is legit the most incredible stuff I've ever seen...
    I can't post pics coz I'm on the app but look up some of her stuff
    She's a judge in the creme de la creme the professional bake off

She was touted to replace Mary Berry, but I'd imagine her manner would go against her.

I know, the main difference is she worked in kitchens Mary hasn't you grow a tougher skin. She's also a professional chef Mary's a home cook.
    I think once it's move to channel four it won't exist as we know it.
    I was questioning Heidi saying who is the actual baker... I thought most bake off fans would know her..

I know, the main difference is she worked in kitchens Mary hasn't you grow a tougher skin. She's also a professional chef Mary's a home cook.
    I think once it's move to channel four it won't exist as we know it.
    I was questioning Heidi saying who is the actual baker... I thought most bake off fans would know her..

Why would most bake off fans know her? I love the bake off but I don't know much about baking, let alone bakers. Doubt I'm in the minority either, any of my friends and family who watch it aren't into baking or the culinary world either!

• Advertisement

Why would most bake off fans know her? I love the bake off but I don't know much about baking, let alone bakers. Doubt I'm in the minority either, any of my friends and family who watch it aren't into baking or the culinary world either!

She is a judge on the professional bakers version of Bake Off, called Bake Off Creme de la Creme. She doesn't hold back in her criticism, which I suppose is ok on that show, but isn't for GBBO.

she was a judge on the professional bake off creme de la creme which i mentioned in my post,

i figured most people that enjoy the bake off watched it was well... shes also been on the extra slice show before...

she was a judge on the professional bake off creme de la creme which i mentioned in my post,

i figured most people that enjoy the bake off watched it was well... shes also been on the extra slice show before...

A lot of people don't watch those shows, I've watched neither :) I just watch the regular show.

A lot of people don't watch those shows, I've watched neither :) I just watch the regular show.

i would have said it the other way, that most people would watch those kinda shows... most people i know (not even the chefs or professionals) watch cooking shows, bake off and the shows that go along with it,

sure theres even comments on this thread and the other bake off one about the winner from last years new tv show which is her touring around Bangladesh and cooking every so often...

either way she is amazing... check out some of her stuff...its amazing

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Cherish+Finden&client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1366&bih=609&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEwaiP1svPAhWbOsAKHcS6C0MQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=Cherish+Finden+work

Oh dear, I seem to have inadvertently inspired a bit of a debate :o

Never heard of the woman before last night, and all I took away from that was that her bedside manner could do with a bit of improvement!

+1 to both of these!

Never watched GBBO before this season, never watched any of the spin-offs, and sadly (it would seem) will probably never watch it again if all the rumours/speculation about its future are true :mad:

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Oh dear, I seem to have inadvertently inspired a bit of a debate :o
    no harm in that sure...
    HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Never heard of the woman before last night, and all I took away from that was that her bedside manner could do with a bit of improvement!

shes definitley not warm and fuzzy but you will find that most women who have worked their way up in kitchens arnt, its a very tough industry for women especially going back to when she trained.

mary berry she aint, and the differnece between her and Paul is you kinda know when Paul is being mean or harsh its all for tv, with cherish its just the way shes feeling, blunt and straight to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

shes definitley not warm and fuzzy
    You don't say!! :D

Regardless of her history, training, struggles, talent, and whatever else she may have going for or against her - TV box office she ain't!

• Advertisement

thankfully i dont judge people based on a photo the daily mail post, and to be fair bake off will be a totally differnt show if bbc try to make it or a new thing with mary and mel and sue.., no ''showstopper'' as thats trademarked... the process will have to be totally different...
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Of all the moves they've made, having her anywhere near the new series would be the worst. She's awful on the fancy bakeoff.

shes exactly like every man i ever worked for in a kitchen... i had a pan of caramel thrown at my head once coz i put to much vanilla in... and thats not even the worst that happened to me or that i saw, the statement if you have to cry go outside... the kitchen isnt for pussys the girl she made cry let herself down by crying. if you cant stand the heat...rings very true.

i get that bake off isnt for professionals and you cant compare but the difference between paul and mary and cherish and Benoit is that they are profesionals and judge as professionals. mary and paul are (well mary anyway) are homecooks or not professionals so judge as the show is designed... we have to remeber paul isnt professionally trained either, he worked his way up which is super rare these days, most places wont look at you unless you are at least training.

paul and mary are soft and cuddly because thats their market, Cherish and Benoit are professionals and judge as such.

Ah here, it's TV entertainment, not real life!

(and although I'd well believe it happens, I find it incredible that people would put up with behaviour like described in real life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah here, it's TV entertainment, not real life!

(and although I'd well believe it happens, I find it incredible that people would put up with behaviour like described in real life)

if you want it bad enough you will... its like building sites, their a law onto themselves in all honesty.

the scars i have on my arms hands wrists (ankle long story) from ovens, pans, pots, tins, caramels, eggs, anything... i do have asbestos fingers now though so it did give me some benefits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Candice's lipstick shade is a perfect match to her mixer this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I guess it depends on what kind of vibe the new Channel 4 show wants to go for. If they want to keep the homely feel, having traditional home bakers like Mary Berry as judges is obviously the way to go. If they want a more serious approach like Masterchef or something, where contestants are judged by a higher standard, then maybe Cherish Finden would be the right person for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

The thing is though, the GBBO is about amateur bakers so I don't think Cherish Finden would work or indeed Claire Clark or Benoit Blin. You sort of need someone more personable like Tom Kerridge to offset Paul. The fact that they tried to keep Mary, Mel & Sue suggests that they didn't want to radically change the format initially.

I really hope that whatever new form it takes, it won't turn into sob story central like other reality shows. I've noticed a small bit this series from Candice. Not a week goes by without a mention of her Nan. I know that sounds mean, but I can't help it, it really annoys me.

wyrn wrote: »
    The thing is though, the GBBO is about amateur bakers so I don't think Cherish Finden would work or indeed Claire Clark or Benoit Blin. You sort of need someone more personable like Tom Kerridge to offset Paul. The fact that they tried to keep Mary, Mel & Sue suggests that they didn't want to radically change the format initially.
    it will be really interesting to see what happens, i read an article during the week that the reason they were so seemingly spiteful about it was because they copied the idea with the great british sewing bee and were pissed off it it even went to court. the writer gave the impression that no matter how much money the bbc offered they were leaving. i dunno how it will translate on channel four, i love mary and paul and mel and sue and honestly think they make it was it is...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really can't see me watching it when it moves.

wyrn wrote: »

Much as I love Tom Kerridge I dont think he has presenting skills - I watched a few episodes of the Creme one and she was putting me off but he was a bit dull.

Dovies wrote: »
    Much as I love Tom Kerridge I dont think he has presenting skills - I watched a few episodes of the Creme one and she was putting me off but he was a bit dull.

Nigella might bring a bit of ooomph to the show!

• Advertisement
Advertisement