Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim Town Hall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

While I agree with everything you say about a townhall I actually believe it should be torn down and moved to another location. It completely obscures the view of the Barbicane gate into the castle which can only be seen from the carpark. If the building was removed the view of the Castle from Castle street would be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

paul71 wrote: »
    While I agree with everything you say about a townhall I actually believe it should be torn down and moved to another location. It completely obscures the view of the Barbicane gate into the castle which can only be seen from the carpark. If the building was removed the view of the Castle from Castle street would be incredible.

Totally agree! It's a horrible building that should never have been built where it is in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

paul71 wrote: »

A very good point. It probably shouldn't have been built there in the first place. I was looking at it again at the weekend and it's right on top of the castle, proximity wise. So any extension work and parking would certainly be near on impossible. Plus there's the view it's obscuring.

I singed the petition myself, possibly in haste. But these things rarely get off the ground. My ideal outcome is that the petition generates enough interest to at least open a debate and see if any appealing alternatives are offered.

Now this spam from politicians usually goes straight in the bin but I got a bumph from Damien English through the letterbox yesterday.

I was curious, as all the Meath West TDs are Navan centric, if there was any info in it at all on Trim.

Lo and behold. Now this might sound like quite pie in the sky stuff with no plans or the like submitted yet (architects are yet to be employed). It looks extremely early in the process and not something to get quite excited about just yet.

1. The library is to be extended/upgraded and to include a new Theatre for the town. The old school next door will fall into this plan too.

2. The town hall is to be converted into a tourist informational centre.

On 1. The library is already on quite narrow street. What solutions could they provided in terms of ease of access. The Ramor Theatre in Virginia is a good exmple of where something like this can this can be well done but for a town the size of Trim I don't think the school in isolation would provide enough space for a decent theatre.

Regarding 2. It doesn't appear like there any plans to knock the old town hall either. Just re-purpose it.

Disclaimer: Could all be political claptrap. I'll wait (very patiently) for any other news.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

I had heard they were planning on knocking the extension to the town hall which was added possibly in the 60s, and retaining the existing building.

Library doesn't seem a great location for theatre, there's not much space, plus very little parking. There's a site on the ring road beside the long term car park they were trying to push for the playground when that was getting done, would be a better option for access and parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Twigster wrote: »
    I had heard they were planning on knocking the extension to the town hall which was added possibly in the 60s, and retaining the existing building.

Library doesn't seem a great location for theatre, there's not much space, plus very little parking. There's a site on the ring road beside the long term car park they were trying to push for the playground when that was getting done, would be a better option for access and parking.

Which part is the extension? The whole building is horrible and should be knocked. It totally obscures the castle

chewed wrote: »
    Which part is the extension? The whole building is horrible and should be knocked. It totally obscures the castle

Have a look at the satellite picture on google maps. The extension is the section with the corrugated roof I suspect and looks to in fact be bigger than the original building. There are other parts such as the public toilets that look like they were afterthoughts too.

Advertisement