Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between being a Part-Time/Full Time Student.

Options
  • 08-07-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Difference between being a Part-Time/Full Time Student.
    Hi Everyone,

I think this is very important information for people to know who might of been in the same situation as me.

Firstly let me start by giving a Straight Definition of the difference.

Full-Time = In the case of my course which was Lvl 8 Engineering degree , 4 year course each year consisted of 2 semesters, 6 modules each semester,5 credits per module. This mean to be classified as a Full time student you must be doing the 12 modules and receive the 60 credits within that one year.

Part-Time = In the case of my course - anything less than 12 modules means your Part-Time.

Plain and simple yes ?

NO!
    My story is.... Firstly I completed a Lvl 7 course in engineering and that was for 3 years, Decided to go into the work force and got myself a job. whilst working for the year because i had got a Result average of over 50% to go into the lvl 8 course i made the decsion to start the lvl 8 part time while i worked. 2 modules in the second semester whilst i worked. I was able to do this as i worked Shift and the days that these modules were held landed on my days of PERFECT!.

I did the 2 Modules over the time period of the 2nd semester with all the other people that were doing the course full time. Passed both and thought no more of it.

During the Summer i decided to go back to college to finish off the lvl 8 ( do it while i was young kinda thing). I said I would apply and all to susi (Grant Application) to see what funding i could get and thought no more of it.

A month passed or so and i said i better contact the college to tell them im going back to college full time.. giving up my job a focusing on the 10 modules left over in the course. here the flaw now im a PART-Time student as im doing 10 modules what does this mean?

Student contribution for a Full-Time Student is 3000 euro
    Part-Time pay per module Approx 370 euro per module therefore 10 * 370 = 3700 euro

Regarding grant ! cant receive one because I'm a 'Part-Time Student'. Even tho ill be giving my full time job up to peruse what i think sounds a lot like full time education like come on its 10 modules 6 in first semester and 4 in second.

In My eyes stupid !

Sorry for having a long forum just think students should be aware.

Advertisement