Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New tyre and part worn; same axle

• 08-07-2016 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Put two new Uniroyal's on back of C180 after Christmas.

Last week the rear passenger side one got ripped in the sidewall so had to replace it with a new Uniroyal one.

Looking at them earlier I measure approx 5mm thread depth on the part worn and approx 8mm on the new one.

Does anyone think their is any issues driving the car with these tyres..... they are identical other than the above.

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a concern when you run tyres of different age on the axle but as long as you're not a rally driver in a rainstorm and considering there is only months between them - I'd say you'll be fine.

Happy motoring on my favourite brand tyres :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yeah. it's not as if the other one is bald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Thanks for the replies.....

Thought they be grand but said I'd check in here for reassurance!!!!!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If I'm thinking right that it's a RWD car, I would be concerned about my drive (differential) when running two tyres (one with 5mm and other with 8mm) on a driving axle.

Differentials are generally not designed to withstand that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CiniO wrote: »
    If I'm thinking right that it's a RWD car, I would be concerned about my drive (differential) when running two tyres (one with 5mm and other with 8mm) on a driving axle.

Differentials are generally not designed to withstand that well.
    How concerned would you be in that scenario? Would you drive differently, or would you change the rear tyres by putting in the 5mm/8mm pair on the front and the old fronts on the rear?

I would have thought that the 3mm difference would be within tolerance.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

islanderre wrote: »
    Hello all,

Put two new Uniroyal's on back of C180 after Christmas.

Last week the rear passenger side one got ripped in the sidewall so had to replace it with a new Uniroyal one.

Looking at them earlier I measure approx 5mm thread depth on the part worn and approx 8mm on the new one.

Does anyone think their is any issues driving the car with these tyres..... they are identical other than the above.

Cheers lads.

I wouldn't be too happy with differently worn tyres on one axle, even if they are the exact same make and model, particularly when they are the driven wheels

Replacing both with part worn tyres would have cost you less than replacing the ripped one with a brand new one. That's what I would have done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ But, but, but. Part-worns.

I agree, btw.

However, I still think that a 3mm difference in good same new tyres on the same axle would not be a problem. If it was....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

It won't make any difference really, same as running the spare.
    As for the diff,that's exactly what it's designed to do' differentiate' between the left and right, same as going around a bend, one side is going faster than the other, only one side is ever driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Thanks for posting. ....

I did look at getting two part worns and called to two places but on the end didn't purchase as wasn't happy with the price for what I was getting hence bought new.

I'll think over it and do bit more digging.

Thanks again.

Advertisement