Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about renting at the moment

Options
  • 08-07-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Me and my girlfriend are signing a lease on Monday and I have a couple of questions before we do so. I have rented many properties with little hassle and problems. That said I want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

1. The main question I have is how does the 2 year rent review work. If we move in as new tenants can the rent only be increased 2 years from the date we sign the lease and move in? It would be crazy if we move in and 3 months later the rent goes up ...

2. As we are on the ground floor and i have very expensive computer equipment. Is it wort getting apartment insurance. I was thinking of just getting a wi fi camera as it would be cheaper.

If there is anything else of high importance please let me know. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

DarraghR wrote: »
    Me and my girlfriend are signing a lease on Monday and I have a couple of questions before we do so. I have rented many properties with little hassle and problems. That said I want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

1. The main question I have is how does the 2 year rent review work. If we move in as new tenants can the rent only be increased 2 years from the date we sign the lease and move in? It would be crazy if we move in and 3 months later the rent goes up ...

2. As we are on the ground floor and i have very expensive computer equipment. Is it wort getting apartment insurance. I was thinking of just getting a wi fi camera as it would be cheaper.

The 2 year rent review thing is exactly what it says on the tin. Rent cannot be increased more often than every 2 years.

Without seeing the apartment, its hard to know how secure it is. Factors like is the development itself gated, can people see in when walking by etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

As to question 1 - yes two years after you sign lease & move in.

Question 2 - question for yourself but if you can't afford to risk the loss insurance seems prudent. A WIFI camera does not mean there is no risk of a burglary, tbh i doubt it really makes any difference - easy to wear a hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Does the property have an alarm? It might be worth looking into one if not and/or if your landlord allowed it.

A Wifi camera isn't much good when you are out and there are two lads loading your stuff into the back of a van...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

It is up to tenant to insure his own equipment - that is not the landlord's concern.

If you want to instal wi fi camera be sure to get landlord's permission before you drill holes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

Your rent can't increase for two years. Your landlord will have to give you 3 months notice of a rent increase in writing which you can appeal to the PRB if you think its excessive.
    Tenants are responsible for insuring their own property. The landlord or Management Company, in the case of apartments, are responsible for ensuring the building.
    I'm not too sure what value a Wi Fi camera would be. You could be at work while some guy is robbing your place. He then looks into the camera, gives you a cheeky wave and then nicks your camera as well.
    Better off making sure you have strong doors and windows with good quality locks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

The rent technically can't be increased for 2 years and 90 days because the 90 pays notice can only be given at the end of the two years, as outlined by the RTB rep interviewed on Today FM recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Alarms/Camera etc. are all completely useless. All alarms do (if unmonitored) is annoy your neighbours. Cameras - by the time the guards work out which junkie it is and pick him up for something else the stuff is long gone. Also all the security in the world won't stop fires.

Get insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Onthefence wrote: »
    The rent technically can't be increased for 2 years and 90 days because the 90 pays notice can only be given at the end of the two years, as outlined by the RTB rep interviewed on Today FM recently.

Anything to back that up anywhere? I'm not doubting you but I'd imagine the majority of LL's will be sending notices about increases three months before the end of the 2 year cycle rather than 3 months after it.

Something "official" would be very useful for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

I wasn't aware of it until I heard the inverview. I haven't seen it written anywhere but having had experience of rtb disputes and their 'makey uppy' rules I personally won't be issuing a notice until the two years are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have heard that about the 90 days notice only being given once the two years has passed. Can't remember where it came from. In effect the review is done at 2 years, with any change coming into effect 90 days later. In my opinion it seems to be a strange interpretation.

Edit: Found it on the RTB website. See the examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Depending on your area etc, contents insurance is cheap We are northside and pay €140 a year for €70,000 contents in an apartment. By the time you add up the basic stuff like shoes, clothes, electronic gear, it's cheap... And if God forbid you burn down the apartment, the landlords insurance company could potentially come after you if you were negligent / stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

More of what the last poster said: it's likely that your clothes and personal stuff is worth more than your computer gear is when you add it all up.

Grown-ups should have contents insurance, except perhaps those living the most hand-to-mouth existance.

If there was a fire in your apartment, then you would need to replace your clothes, shoes, makeup etc pretty quickly in order be keep going to work. Without insurance, this may not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

on_my_oe wrote: »
    And if God forbid you burn down the apartment, the landlords insurance company could potentially come after you if you were negligent / stupid

Contents insurance wouldn't cover this and I've no idea how I an apartment owner could get building insurance, I don't own the building and you can't insure a part of a building which you don't own anyway, never mind a renter.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

The building insurance will cover the structure, the contents insurance will cover the fixtures and fittings - I now own an apartment and was required to have insurance to cover things like the kitchen units, sanitary ware etc.

Either way, replacing clothes and computer gear at short notice isn't cheap, while a tenner a month is much more manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

We moved in a few days ago and already have a few issues.

1. The estate agent said bins were included but surprise surprise they are not. We have to get yellow bin bags which cost €3.50 each. Is it possible to get them for any cheaper. We live in Dublin 8 and have to use yellow bags from what I have gathered.

2. Next door are up till all hours talking extremely loud with all of their windows open. I kind of suspect that they are running shifts with multiple people. Later I will knock in and ask politely to close some windows and not to be shouting. If this problem persists should I be going to the estate agent or land lady.

3. Our meter reading for the electricity was taken without us present and sent through a text. In 4 other places I rented we were shown where the meter is upon moving in. Is there any standard procedure for this? Might sound like a silly question but all other properties I was shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sarn wrote: »
    I have heard that about the 90 days notice only being given once the two years has passed. Can't remember where it came from. In effect the review is done at 2 years, with any change coming into effect 90 days later. In my opinion it seems to be a strange interpretation.

Edit: Found it on the RTB website. See the examples.

EXAMPLE 5 that you link to contradicts what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    EXAMPLE 5 that you link to contradicts what you are saying.

Not really. Technically (according to the link) a rent review can only occur two years after the previous review or start of the tenancy, at which point 90 days notice of the change is given before it kicks in. Example 2 gives a situation where this could happen. To me it appears to be an anomaly as it would lead to issues where a lease is agreed to be signed on an annual basis with any change in rent not matching the time of lease renewal (assuming that they want additional security).

Advertisement