Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist assaulted

Options
  • 08-07-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

No problem strangling a cyclist if you're a businessman and can pay up, it would appear.

https://t.co/0nlI0QU8U7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

And your under stress

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't like cyclists on the path but he did go totally over the top. Hate the cobbles on that street though! Cyclists on paths should always give way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Effects wrote: »
    I don't like cyclists on the path but he did go totally over the top. Hate the cobbles on that street though! Cyclists on paths should always give way though.
    At that time the other side of the bridge was actually blocked by construction works so the only way through was on the path.
    Which means he should obviously have dismounted and walked through, but there's no excuse for pushing him off, let alone beating the crap out of him.

Separate from that, that street is a bit of a disaster overall, both cyclists and pedestrians just do what they want - lots of peds prefer the middle of the road and lots of bikes prefer the path. They should realistically close as much of the road as they can either side of the rail bridge, remove the cobbles and make it a shared use space. Then everyone can just take it easy and not get into conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

KathleenF wrote: »
    No problem strangling a cyclist if you're a businessman and can pay up, it would appear.

In this case the cyclist said he'd be be happy to get his teeth paid for and move on. So you can't really blame the judge on this one. If the victim doesn't want to press charges that's pretty much the end of it. The judge went over the victims wishes with the donation to the poor box.

I can't see myself being so forgiving if it happened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Effects wrote: »

I'd agree with that. Cyclists on the pavement really, really irritate me. I can understand standing your ground and forcing a cyclist to dismount, but the offender here had no cause to react as he did. How he got the Probation Act for an assault like that is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

He got what he deserved. Cyclists in Dublin are arrogant, even anti-social some of them. They deserve some comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

"Disproportionate"? Y'think!? Cycling on the footpath carries a penalty of a small fine. Assault with bodily harm is an unlimited fine, or up to five years inside. The idea that one is occasion for the other is obscene, and "using the poor box" for such an offence is a travesty of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Picture of the so called "Executive" during the assault:

1626sr5.jpg

alaimacerc wrote: »
    "Disproportionate"? Y'think!? Cycling on the footpath carries a penalty of a small fine. Assault with bodily harm is an unlimited fine, or up to five years inside. The idea that one is occasion for the other is obscene, and "using the poor box" for such an offence is a travesty of justice.

Just a little bit of fisticuffs i'm sure. There are cyclists that go around Dublin like it is Saigon. The behaviour of a lot of them shows a total disregard for everyone around them. Inevitable that someone will snap once in a while. Maybe the man was barged off the path once too often. Understandable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Seems the Judge took into account the victims stance of just wanting his out of pocket expense sorted so he can just put all this behind him. I'm sure if the victim impact / the victim's attitude was stronger the end result would have been firmer.
    I'm not saying that is right though.

• Advertisement

Just a little bit of fisticuffs i'm sure. There are cyclists that go around Dublin like it is Saigon. The behaviour of a lot of them shows a total disregard for everyone around them. Inevitable that someone will snap once in a while. Maybe the man was barged off the path once too often. Understandable really.

Eh, nope. Unprovoked ABH is not "understandable". Cop yourself ever-so-slightly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ah now, let's compare apples to apples!

Saigon:

20111013093840_5.jpg

Scene of the assault:

Cm2CMpNWcAA1UGe.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

KathleenF wrote: »

I'm confused about how you got from €6.5k costs to 'no problem'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to snap, judging by all the invective on social media and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Over the years I have had numerous close calls with cyclists while I have been walking.
    I have been unlucky enough to have been clipped twice once on the path and once crossing on a green man with lots of other pedestrians also crossing where cyclist swerved through a gap and of course I had to be the other side.

I was hit in the leg by the forks and chest and he went on his way laughing as he looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

So because there are some bad cyclists it's okay for him to assault one? I've been put in potential harms way by drivers, cyclists & pedestrians at various times. Would it be understandable if I started beating someone in the future?

Seems the Judge took into account the victims stance of just wanting his out of pocket expense sorted so he can just put all this behind him. I'm sure if the victim impact / the victim's attitude was stronger the end result would have been firmer.
    I'm not saying that is right though.

I'm not sure of the details of how this works, I must admit. Does this mechanism mean he gets his compo, when otherwise he wouldn't? Or gets it more quickly and easily, as compared to... I'm not sure, again: criminal injuries tribunal? Civil lawsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Is there a troll? I think there's a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah now, let's compare apples to apples!

Saigon:

20111013093840_5.jpg

Scene of the assault:

Cm2CMpNWcAA1UGe.jpg:large

I just realised what road it is. I go down it every day on the way to work. I hate that street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

brianomc wrote: »
    If the victim doesn't want to press charges that's pretty much the end of it. The judge went over the victims wishes with the donation to the poor box.
    as should be the case, though. it's one of the functions of the justice system, to take the role of punishment away from the victim. if the victim does not want to press charges, there may be a public interest in proceeding anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is there a troll? I think there's a troll.
    the worst kind too. not even entertaining.

Over the years I have had numerous close calls with cyclists while I have been walking.
    I have been unlucky enough to have been clipped twice once on the path and once crossing on a green man with lots of other pedestrians also crossing where cyclist swerved through a gap and of course I had to be the other side.

I was hit in the leg by the forks and chest and he went on his way laughing as he looked back.

Well, that's bang out of order, very clearly. I've been known to use footpaths on occasion, though generally when they're pretty much empty and there's no sensible other route, but at the very least, one should have the minimal grace to recognise that one is in the "wrong", and make sure that one gives any pedestrians plenty of space, stops for them if necessary, acts suitably apologetic and sheepish, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the details of how this works, I must admit. Does this mechanism mean he gets his compo, when otherwise he wouldn't? Or gets it more quickly and easily, as compared to... I'm not sure, again: criminal injuries tribunal? Civil lawsuit?

Not sure. There may be a case of compo but this would be a civil case. The case reported is a criminal one. As the victim appears to just want an end to things the judge has gone down the route of the poor box - this means no criminal record so the matter is fully closed subject to paying the money. Should he not pay up the conviction will be on file and likely a sentence would follow. He'd have to declare the conviction on forms / work / all sorts of stuff until it was spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have being hit by pedestrians stepping off the road, into the road or cycle path What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He got what he deserved. Cyclists in Dublin are arrogant, even anti-social some of them. They deserve some comeuppance.

+1

SteM wrote: »
    So because there are some bad cyclists it's okay for him to assault one? I've been put in potential harms way by drivers, cyclists & pedestrians at various times. Would it be understandable if I started beating someone in the future?

I wouldn't advise you to do that but depending on the situation it might be understandable. Happens every day in major cities. Someone gets sick of someone elses anti-social behaviour, snaps, a few slaps, nothing serious. A day in court. A fine or whatever. Everyone goes home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm confused about how you got from €6.5k costs to 'no problem'.

I think the point is that if it had been someone who didn't have the means to cough up that kind of cash, would they have been let skate out without a conviction being recorded?

Or put it another way, if I as a cyclist on my way this evening encounter a pedestrian meandering across the road without looking and I'm forced to brake hard to avoid a collision can I, at a cost of €6.5k, get off my bike wrestle them to the ground in head lock and inflict significant injury on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Next up: armed cyclists

I wouldn't advise you to do that but depending on the situation it might be understandable. Happens every day in major cities. Someone gets sick of someone elses anti-social behaviour, snaps, a few slaps, nothing serious. A day in court. A fine or whatever. Everyone goes home.

Eh, you do know a 'fine' implies a conviction? In this case they perp is being let buy his way out of the conviction!

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Next up: armed cyclists

f.... Yeah!!!

d69cc68582f1486ec85c4826f565806679ae32ad437a6f9a8a29215c46ba9ad3_large

Advertisement