Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist assaulted

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Chuchote wrote: »
    All very true. Though not about the bicycles; cars were simply not generally seen as a way to go to work. Living in Dalkey, virtually all the local civil servants, etc, took the Number 8 into town to work. Businesspeople were more likely to drive, but they were the exception. The GPO had a gigantic cycle park in the centre of the building and most people who worked there — the civil servants running the postal service — cycled in, including a succession of Secretaries of the Department, until the 1990s at least.

But the good parts of that lifestyle are still in operation in many countries: if you move to France or Spain you're still likely to find people living that way.

The industrial schools, the TB, the emigration: these came from an arch-Catholic rule that we still haven't shaken off.

Really, that's your metric - Dalkey? How much the population of the country live there - 1%?

I think you'll find TB was down to the cramped and over-crowded living conditions, poor standard of housing and lack of sanitation capacity. And whether they came about by the hand of the state, the church or a combination of both is immaterial - the fact is in 1950s TB was a problem, it isn't now, thankfully (or at least not nearly on the same scale)

And yes, I don't doubt that a middle-class lifestyle centred on Dalkey and taking the tram to work was a fine existence at the time (Hugh Leonard's writings tell us as much, but even he needed a scholarship to go to Pres) but I'd rather fancy that the experience of a tenement dweller in Sean McDermott Street or Henrietta Street wasn't as nice. Or a farm labourer.

And as for France and Spain - that lifestyle is made possible by generous welfare entitlements from the state - it wasn't always thus. I'd imagine if you were a nationalist family in Franco's Spain in the 1950s your prospects and lifestyle were somewhat better that if you were associated with the republicans ;) Likewise if you were in rural France 10 years after the war and were not a Gaullist, I doubt you had much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Jawgap, Dalkey isn't my metric, it's my childhood experience. But the same was true in most places (by "the same" I'm talking about people using buses and bikes to get to work).

The Church and the State were then hand-in-hand. TB was certainly caused by the State, which — fomented by the Catholic Church — fought tooth-and-nail against vaccination for TB for many years. The Church and the State were hand-in-hand in running the industrial schools and laundries, and in sending poor children 'found begging' to be incarcerated there through the courts.

We are so used to Ireland that we forget that what would in other countries be seen as a centre-right party is here perceived as centrist; what would in other countries be seen as a centre-left party is seen here as far left. Apart from the righist ex-communist countries that Britain ladled into the European Union, swinging the EU to the right, our country is now probably one of the furthest to the right in the EU.

You mistake me, my dear. I'm not saying the 1950s were a delightful time. I'm saying that by correctly throwing the filthy cruel practices of those times out, we have also thrown out some good things — being able to shop locally, a cycling and public transport centred society, more sensible work hours.

Jawgap, Dalkey isn't my metric, it's my childhood experience. But the same was true in most places (by "the same" I'm talking about people using buses and bikes to get to work).

No, actually it isn't. Most the country doesn't/didn't live in Dalkey and I can pretty much guarantee you that the experience of farm labourer, a shop worker, a docker, a bank clerk and an unemployed person in 1950s Ireland was not just a world apart from the experience of living in Dalkey but a whole galaxy apart. Even the legendary philanthropy bestowed on Guinness workers pales in comparison to what the modern welfare state (such as it is even in Ireland) bestows on it's citizens.
    The Church and the State were then hand-in-hand. TB was certainly caused by the State, which — fomented by the Catholic Church — fought tooth-and-nail against vaccination for TB for many years. The Church and the State were hand-in-hand in running the industrial schools and laundries, and in sending poor children 'found begging' to be incarcerated there through the courts.

Again, regardless of who 'caused' it, exacerbated it, or failed to implement an effective immunisation programme, the fact remains TB was rampant in 1950s Ireland (Dalkey excluded) thus undermining the idea that it was a 'more civilised time' - as you stated earlier.

And while we're wandering off the the cycling topic - this 'civilised time' also pretty much excluded married women from the workforce. I'm sure women would just love to go back to a 'civilised time' when marriage meant the end of a career, but they could pledge their husband's credit ;)
    We are so used to Ireland that we forget that what would in other countries be seen as a centre-right party is here perceived as centrist; what would in other countries be seen as a centre-left party is seen here as far left. Apart from the righist ex-communist countries that Britain ladled into the European Union, swinging the EU to the right, our country is now probably one of the furthest to the right in the EU.

You mistake me, my dear. I'm not saying the 1950s were a delightful time. I'm saying that by correctly throwing the filthy cruel practices of those times out, we have also thrown out some good things — being able to shop locally, a cycling and public transport centred society, more sensible work hours.

No, you are not saying they were 'delightful' you are saying they were 'more civilised' - I live in a semi-rural location, I can still shop locally (and do, especially in my LBS) - public transport is a joke (not everyone can live on the DART or old Harcourt Street Line) as it always has been outside the cities, even in the more civilised times.

And we haven't thrown anything out - if a business fails to adapt, then thanks to our financial liberation the market punishes it. People now have choices they didn't in the more civilised 1950s - we're not shackled to the local economy bound to take only what we can reach on a bike or by bus.

The shops in the village near where I live have adapted - we've even seen a few added over the years (including a Tesco, which actually didn't put the local butchers out of business it allowed him to expand, and a dressmakers, a pharmacy, a dentists surgery and an art/crafts shop).

As I said, we've never been healthier, wealthier or safer.

Very true — though we could be better.

Sorry for the lazy phrasing; the 'more civilised' I was talking about was purely the factors I was talking about, and not the whole society, d'oh!

Just to put my cards on the table, I'd like Ireland to follow and adapt the model of France: lay schools, a decent diet, proper planning, civilised HLMs, co-support, etc. And no, I don't think France is a paradise either — plenty of inequality and misery there too.

But back to cycling. I've booked a bike fit. Will be interesting.

Very true — though we could be better.

Sorry for the lazy phrasing; the 'more civilised' I was talking about was purely the factors I was talking about, and not the whole society, d'oh!

Just to put my cards on the table, I'd like Ireland to follow and adapt the model of France: lay schools, a decent diet, proper planning, civilised HLMs, co-support, etc. And no, I don't think France is a paradise either — plenty of inequality and misery there too.

But back to cycling. I've booked a bike fit. Will be interesting.

Well I'd like to follow France and have a decent enforcement of the minimum passing distance laws.

I wouldn't mind the other stuff, but frankly I'm not willing to pay the taxes for it because of the amount of waste in the public services here means we'll end over-paying for it dramatically - and I say that as a former public servant. Even the things we could do tomorrow - improved governance and accountability in schools and healthcare - that cost nothing, we won't do.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well I'd like to follow France and have a decent enforcement of the minimum passing distance laws.

I wouldn't mind the other stuff, but frankly I'm not willing to pay the taxes for it because of the amount of waste in the public services here means we'll end over-paying for it dramatically - and I say that as a former public servant. Even the things we could do tomorrow - improved governance and accountability in schools and healthcare - that cost nothing, we won't do.

Surely that's a matter of an attitude to how the public services should be run? My neighbour was telling me last night, by the way, that she bought her house in this nice middle-class area at the age of 22, as a civil servant. "No public servant could do that now," she said ruefully. Ah, those were the days; married women had to leave the service, but you could have two children out of wedlock and keep your job.

There's a case to be made for the idea that Irish taxes make (or should make) more money available for social needs than French, because our taxes don't pay for a big army and lots of weapons.

I must start the day properly; have been lounging around watching a great film called Mon Père est Femme de Ménage (My Father is a Maid), with subtitles in French; handy for learning new words. http://expressfrancais.com/pelicula-francesa-subtitulada-en-frances-mon-pere-est-femme-de-menage/

Surely that's a matter of an attitude to how the public services should be run? My neighbour was telling me last night, by the way, that she bought her house in this nice middle-class area at the age of 22, as a civil servant. "No public servant could do that now," she said ruefully. Ah, those were the days; married women had to leave the service, but you could have two children out of wedlock and keep your job.

There's a case to be made for the idea that Irish taxes make (or should make) more money available for social needs than French, because our taxes don't pay for a big army and lots of weapons.

I must start the day properly; have been lounging around watching a great film called Mon Père est Femme de Ménage (My Father is a Maid), with subtitles in French; handy for learning new words. http://expressfrancais.com/pelicula-francesa-subtitulada-en-frances-mon-pere-est-femme-de-menage/

It's all relative - France maintains a strong defence that takes up about 2.1% of it's GDP, but that also supports indigenous shipbuilding, an aerospace industry and a good chunk of their technology manufacturing sector - if they were to buy off-the-shelf, they'd save a fortune but wouldn't have Airbus, Dassault, Thales or Thomson Technicolour.

My own view is that we could build and do a lot more, but we're cursed with parochialism - for example, everyone can agree we need bigger better hospitals - but try and close down a small one! Likewise all the fuss over rural Garda stations.

Same with cycling infrastructure and cycling safety - the RSA might as well be called the Motorist Convenience Authority, it is so heavily biased. Which is just a function of the fact that motorists are many and shout loudest.

Btw, I think your neighbour is right - my family moved from the inner city to just outside it (the inner city) when I was younger. It was an area where Guards were permitted to live (apparently there were restrictions on where they could take up housing) so I grew up in an area with the sons of Guards, postmen, mechanics and airport workers for friends. My parents are still there - but the new neighbours all now work in Eastpoint.

My grandparents house in East Wall was sold to a couple - he, a lecturer in Trinity, she a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

This street is a disaster: one that Dublin planning engineers can be very, very, vey proud off:
    1.It is the end of the grand canal cycle lane, so going south to north, you go down this street vice versa for people going south up the canal. It can be chaotic at rush hour
    2. The cycle lane merges with the footpath anyway, abruptly. Cyclists are dumped onto a t-junction.
    3. It is a cut-de-sac. Lots of taxis and vans doing 3-point turns after drop offs. The north side of the bridge are ware-house distribution businesses and an office tower, so lots of articulated trucks and vans parked all over the place or turning.
    4. It is cobbled. I like the cobbles, but they are a disaster when wet. I think some of the novice commuters avoid the cobbles and take to the footpaths
    5. There is an hour-glasseffect under the railway bridge where pedestrians mix with cyclists.

So, despite Garlic's trolling, this was inevitable due to poor design. It probably will not be the only incident along here. Works both ways. cyclist may thump taxi driver.

Late to spot this thread- seems to have gone way OT! I had read about the incident but hadn't clocked where it happened. The road in question is the only part of my commute that I absoloutley hate. Most of my commute is the Grand Canal cycle path which IMHO is a joy (well apart from the Leeson Bridge junction). Then I hit Clanwilliam Terrace/Grand Canal Quay- the cycle-path exit is terrible, it actually has 2 different exit points onto the road. The cobbles are quite literally a PITA & I have broken a set of mudguards & 2x water bottle cages due to regularly riding on them. For a while I decided to cycle on the footpath, which I would not do anywhere else, however I became too self-conscious re: pedestrians & am back on the feckin cobbles again. Can they not do something about this so-called cycle route?:confused:

On a separate note, I remember when the aforementioned building works were being carried out just past the bridge & I couldn't believe the Contractors got away with closing a footpath & a road for so long. However I also couldn't believe it when I saw many cyclists cycle past a "Cyclists dismount" sign onto the extremely narrow railed footpath (incl. a bin obstruction) & casually brush past pedestrians. I am presuming this is where & when this incident occurred. The pedestrian's actions were totally indefensible but I can imagine how the scenario unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jawgap wrote: »
    Really, that's your metric - Dalkey? How much the population of the country live there - 1%?
    Approx 0.18%, or 1/570.

I'm surprised it's that large actually. Dalkey is tiny. But then Ireland is also tiny.

Big fleas have little fleas etc.

Moving reluctantly from Dalkey to Clanwilliam Terrace, I've cycled down there a few times in the last couple of weeks. God, it's awful for a cyclist. Dentists must make a fortune from the teeth clattering together as you rattle over the cobblestones. I love cobbles, really I do, but surely a narrow strip of tarmac would be possible for cyclists? Cobbles are perfect when you're riding a horse or a donkey, nice and grippy, but I've left Neidín in his field and am riding a bike now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    Approx 0.18%, or 1/570.

I'm surprised it's that large actually. Dalkey is tiny. But then Ireland is also tiny.

Big fleas have little fleas etc.
    It is certainly quite snug.

I do find it unwarranted when Ireland is described as a small island. It is, in fact, a fairly big island, as islands go. When people describe Great Britain as a small island (rather than a small country), it's quite inaccurate. As islands go, it's a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Clanwilliam Terrace is preposterous. It's part of a flagship dedicated cycling facility, and it's surface with cobbles or setts or whatever they're called. Why not have the next section covered in baby oil, and the one after skirting a sheer precipice?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Clanwilliam Terrace is preposterous. It's part of a flagship dedicated cycling facility, and it's surface with cobbles or setts or whatever they're called. Why not have the next section covered in baby oil, and the one after skirting a sheer precipice?

I think the city council, in their esteemed wisdom, wanted all cyclists to have the Paris Roubaix experience. If you want a bit of the pavé experience it saves having to travel :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Moving reluctantly from Dalkey to Clanwilliam Terrace, I've cycled down there a few times in the last couple of weeks. God, it's awful for a cyclist. Dentists must make a fortune from the teeth clattering together as you rattle over the cobblestones. I love cobbles, really I do, but surely a narrow strip of tarmac would be possible for cyclists? Cobbles are perfect when you're riding a horse or a donkey, nice and grippy, but I've left Neidín in his field and am riding a bike now.

Check out the main square at Trinity College, where they have laid level paths amongst the cobbles. And watch now many people choose to walk on the paths rather than cobbles, even if it means taking a slightly longer, less direct route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can also just go around Macken St. or Barrow St. When they started the work there I started using these routes. I prefer Macken St. as Barrow St tends to have the gauntlet of death from taxi drivers double and triple parking, mixed in with the myriad of Google workers wandering across the road like zombies at certain times of the day, although this may have improved with the bridge in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can also just go around Macken St. or Barrow St. When they started the work there I started using these routes. I prefer Macken St. as Barrow St tends to have the gauntlet of death from taxi drivers double and triple parking, mixed in with the myriad of Google workers wandering across the road like zombies at certain times of the day, although this may have improved with the bridge in place.

I hear ya, but I like cycling along the pedestrianised Grand Canal Quay/Square stretch down to Forbes St. Also Macken St can be very busy & up until that point you're on a dedicated cyclepath the whole way & it feels a bit daft having to get back on a road without any cyclelane at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wheeker wrote: »
    I hear ya, but I like cycling along the pedestrianised Grand Canal Quay/Square stretch down to Forbes St. Also Macken St can be very busy & up until that point you're on a dedicated cyclepath the whole way & it feels a bit daft having to get back on a road without any cyclelane at all.

Considering the behaviour of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists at the junction before Clanwilliam Terrace, coming off Clanwilliam Place, I will happily remain on the road rather than go near the cycle lane. You lose the cycle lane anyway at the start of Clanwilliam terrace. Grand Canal Quay has the Spin 103.8 morons looking to knock down cyclists and pedestrians alike as they drive off looking in the mirror at themselves.

I am of course being supercillious, I commuted along there for years without issue but I recognise the possibility for issues to arise. I also have avoided the cycle path on the Canal on the way into town, staying on the road, as I found it uncomfortable and full of very rude people.

I think my point was, if you don't like that route, you are not restricted from using others to get around it.

Advertisement