Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbots Grove Knocklyon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Googled

Synode wrote: »
    People should have a bit of sense and not buy them. I know I won't be, even though I'd love to own a house

Absolutely, 100% I won't be buying one, they have pushed it too far due to pure greed.

I hope people avoid these and send a clear message to the developer, that what they have done with these ludicrous price rises is simply unethical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

Yeah it's crazy - the boom is back from what I can see! We were also interested in the Bishops Gate development in Kilternan and an email was sent out on Tuesday morning for a pre-launch. I rang the estate agent about 15 mins after the email was sent and all 11 houses were gone with 20 people ahead of me on the waiting list..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

No to be fair - the Bishop's Gate were a bargain in my opinion with the 3 beds starting at 399k but they're only going to go up and up which is a shame :(

....... wrote: »
    Are the prices ludicrous compared with similar in the area though?

Presumably if people thought they were overpriced they would buy a cheaper house down the road and not go near them?

I think that most people who purchased wouldn't think they are particularly great value, but have severely limited choice due to the lack of supply.

Is €435,000 good value for a small 3 bedroom house with ongoing "management" fees? With no real amenities and worsening traffic issues on Balllycullen Road?

Notwithstanding, the issue for me was the lack of transparency from the agent and developer between the phases. How can a home be sold for 369,000 then only a few months later sold for 420,000?

The FTB is overheating the market and the developers are all over it like vultures.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree - it's totally unfair. There should be some law in place to protect the likes of us whereby they are not allowed to increase house prices by more than 2% between each phase or something..

emmacxxx wrote: »
    Yeah I agree - it's totally unfair. There should be some law in place to protect the likes of us whereby they are not allowed to increase house prices by more than 2% between each phase or something..

Agree 100%.

With the FTB scheme, it was always going to favour the developers and agents, with the homebuyer being slapped.

The government were very short sighted with this FTB scheme and now the evidence is mounting that its a failure. There are no controls in place to safeguard the consumer from developer greed.

I have heard that numerous people who had pre approval for the latest release, have now pulled out and will buy elsewhere.

When the game is rigged - don't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

SunnyM11 wrote:
    People could buy a mansion with swimming pool in Australia at this price, just to put perspective on these asking prices. Really infuriating. The Government should have legislation to control such price hikes between phases.

Maybe in the middle of the outback it could? You could buy a mansion and build a pool in the middle of Roscommon if you like?

I'm not defending Dublin property prices but to use Australia's property market as a stick to beat it with shows a complete lack of knowledge for the current state of affairs over there. $1 million would barely buy you a shack in Sydney!

Maybe in the middle of the outback it could? You could buy a mansion and build a pool in the middle of Roscommon if you like?

I'm not defending Dublin property prices but to use Australia's property market as a stick to beat it with shows a complete lack of knowledge for the current state of affairs over there. $1 million would barely buy you a shack in Sydney!

On the contrary, you seem to be defending the Dublin prices.

The point is, the rapid price rises in recent months are largely a result of a poorly devised scheme designed to help people own a home. Who benefits in the end? Certainly not the consumer.

There appears to be an element of learned helplessness at play with the property market in Dublin. The Help To Buy scheme is a failure. The mentality of panic buying and rapid price rises contributed to the previous crash and may happen again.

The comments on the property prices in Australia were more than valid in my opinion. Ask yourself - why do so many Irish people now live in countries like Australia? Lack of good quality, value for money housing in Ireland for one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Googled wrote: »
    I hope people avoid these and send a clear message to the developer, that what they have done with these ludicrous price rises is simply unethical.
    Problem is that for most buyers this is not a dalliance, some luxury purchase they're making through which they can make a statement.

They're over a barrel, and it's easy to say "don't buy" or "buy somewhere else", but the people purchasing don't see either of those as reasonable options. They need somewhere to live and these properties are the most suitable ones they can afford which suit their lifestyle.

From their point of view you may as well say, "Move to Poland! Show those developers that they can't charge crazy prices and get away with it!"

....... wrote: »
    No - this is misunderstanding the real problem.

The problem is lack of supply. The government need to be building houses.

I agree the FTB scheme wont have helped, but FTBs are only a small part of the market and not the driving force for the current mini boom - theres lots of other factors - but the main issue is - lack of supply.

Correct - no argument from me over the lack of supply driving house prices up - basic economics.

For Abbots Grove however and other similar developments targeting entry level family homes, the FTB scheme has clearly had a major impact on the scandalous prices rise between phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The prices are crazy. Dodderbrook are apparently doing a limited release and the 3 bed semi-d's are €370k. Much nicer houses too - I thought Abbots Grove were grand but not that nice in terms of layout or design.

seamus wrote: »
    Problem is that for most buyers this is not a dalliance, some luxury purchase they're making through which they can make a statement.

They're over a barrel, and it's easy to say "don't buy" or "buy somewhere else", but the people purchasing don't see either of those as reasonable options. They need somewhere to live and these properties are the most suitable ones they can afford which suit their lifestyle.

From their point of view you may as well say, "Move to Poland! Show those developers that they can't charge crazy prices and get away with it!"

Yes of course, however as previously suggested on this forum, the government should have intervened and placed a reasonable cap on price rises between phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Googled wrote:
    The comments on the property prices in Australia were more than valid in my opinion. Ask yourself - why do so many Irish people now live in countries like Australia? Lack of good quality, value for money housing in Ireland for one.

Explain how they were valid? They were completely inaccurate! 435K would not buy you a mansion or anything close to it in any major city in Australia.

It was just the typical throw away comment people make about how unfair and dysfunctional Ireland is.

I have four friends currently living in Australia, none of whom own houses or would even dream of buying there until the mammoth property bubble that's been blowing for quite some time bursts.

Again there are real issues to be discussed in relation to housing in this country. As there are in all developed countries.

But if your argument simply boils down to "but but you'd get a mansion for that price in X country" without any actual knowledge of the country or any perspective on what you're even comparing then you're just part of the problem in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I went to an open view in November. They are lovely homes, but the price hike is absolute madness and has ruled me out.
    Its perfectly located for m50 access and being in a catchment area for Colmcilles school and good bus routes made this a no brainier for me.

In December I was very close, but still saving for my deposit and was just 2k short for amount needed for 3 bed semid, I think it was called banden house I was looking at. After I saved the deposit amount needed for the loan, it jumped by 10k, I ended up getting a loan from my parents and was placed on a waiting list and was awaiting the release for this phase, and I see its jumped up again to €435,000... Its a complete joke.

I worked so hard to save for this. I agree with Emma, there should be legislation to stop this kind of huge increases between each phases. I hope they don't sell and have to decrease the asking price.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I went to an open view in November. They are lovely homes, but the price hike is absolute madness and has ruled me out.
    Its perfectly located for m50 access and being in a catchment area for Colmcilles school and good bus routes made this a no brainier for me.

In December I was very close, but still saving for my deposit and was just 2k short for amount needed for 3 bed semid, I think it was called banden house I was looking at. After I saved the deposit amount needed for the loan, it jumped by 10k, I ended up getting a loan from my parents and was placed on a waiting list and was awaiting the release for this phase, and I see its jumped up again to €435,000... Its a complete joke.

I worked so hard to save for this. I agree with Emma, there should be legislation to stop this kind of huge increases between each phases. I hope they don't sell and have to decrease the asking price.

Almost exactly the same position I was in and I share your frustration.

Yeah in the same position - we just got our mortgage approval and are absolute max is 410k so it means Abbots Grove is ruled out for us which we were devastated about because we had our hearts set on it!

• Advertisement

That's the issue - it's not really an option as the rent I pay is actually a good bit higher than what a mortgage would be! The property sector in Ireland is just a joke to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

kerplun k wrote:

M50 access is a nightmare already and is only going to get worse as AG completes. You're talking half an hour to get down to the lights at Colmcille's Way in the mornings. I'd say it'll be 40 minutes before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

....... wrote:

People shouldn't have to drive miles out of their way to access a road less than a kilometre from their doorstep. The lack of traffic planning in the area is absolutely disgraceful.

Colmcille's Way needs to be completely upgraded. They spent months working on it years ago and all they did was add a load of hatched markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please keep this thread for Abbots Grove discussion only. There has been a lot of general discussion this morning, there are other threads to discuss those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nolj

Re school catchment. The plot of land east of Abbotts grove was designated as a plot for a primary school until literally 2 weeks when it was redesignated now for more housing as far as i am aware. Colmcilles will accept children from estates along stocking avenue however there are waiting lists. The catchment boundry imposed on the two new schools being built at the moment is ballycullen road , ie estates along stocking avenue are out of catchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

nolj wrote: »
    Re school catchment. The plot of land east of Abbotts grove was designated as a plot for a primary school until literally 2 weeks when it was redesignated now for more housing as far as i am aware. Colmcilles will accept children from estates along stocking avenue however there are waiting lists. The catchment boundry imposed on the two new schools being built at the moment is ballycullen road , ie estates along stocking avenue are out of catchment.

Hi, Where are the new schools being built at the moment? I couldn't find any info regarding about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dial Hard wrote: »
    M50 access is a nightmare already and is only going to get worse as AG completes. You're talking half an hour to get down to the lights at Colmcille's Way in the mornings. I'd say it'll be 40 minutes before long.

Yeah its been a problem for a long time now, hopefully something is done about it soon. I know there have been lots of people pressuring local councillors to do something for years but nothing ever seems to come of it.
    With the amount of housing zoned in Ballycullen LAP it really is the first thing that needs to be addressed before any more houses are built.
    Here's a recent survey created by local Councillor Paula Donovan looking for input on the traffic situation. Worth filling out if you're living in the area or planning to buy.

Advertisement