Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reported post not acted upon

Options
  • 08-07-2016 3:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I reposted this post at about 11.50am today. I consider this post to be entirely reprehensible. It is clearly implying that shooting police officers is both warranted and justified. There can be no other meaning behind this post.

I reported it again a little while later and then after an hour of nothing being done, despite AH mods contributing to this and other threads (and therefore likely aware of the reported post) I pm'd the Cmods to see if I could get a reason as to why the post had not been tackled, or why it was deemed acceptable?

I quickly received this response:
    KERSPLAT! wrote:
    You reported the post just 54 minutes ago. Mods are posters before they are mods and as such are free to post without having to mod beforehand.

An AH mod will look at the report and action if needs be when they have time to.

Your report is much appreciated as is your PM,

Thanks

So now several hours later, nothing has been done by the 9 mods to what is a fairly reprehensible post. I would like to escalate the issue and get feedback from Admin as to whether this post is acceptable or not and the reason for that decision?

I note that another post was red carded within two minutes of being posted. So it very much opens the question of both impartiality and suitability of the mods to make an honest call. Is a post about killing police right or wrong?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Quick note on this: the post was moved from DRP as it is not a DRP issue. Kersplat! gave permission for his PM to be included in the moved post

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I reposted this post at about 11.50am today. I consider this post to be entirely reprehensible. It is clearly implying that shooting police officers is both warranted and justified. There can be no other meaning behind this post.

the content of the reported post is
    Might provide some balance to the police with guns and an anti black agenda.

which was in direct response to your post which was quoted:
    Black men have guns and anti police agenda.

Maybe the mod thought you got a flippant and misleading response to a flippant and misleading comment and that neither are actionable if not taken seriously.

on the plus side you got a quick PM response from the CM so thats good and it was polite and explanatory, so thats good too.

Just to add:

the post that was carded was done nearly an hour *before* the post you reported was made. That a mod was there 2 minutes after an actionable post was reported or saw it himself has zero bearing on the response time to your post. If the mod had carded the post AFTER your report then maybe it would be relevant - though even then it would and should not have any influence on the decision on whether the post you took issue with was actionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I stand by that PM. The report has been looked at by AH mods since.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

4 hours is unreasonable to be complaining about mods not acting quickly.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

LoLth wrote: »

Maybe the mod thought you got a flippant and misleading response to a flippant and misleading comment and that neither are actionable if not taken seriously.

This. Both posts are pretty much the opposite sides of the same coin.

Its not a thread that I would choose to take part in. The breaking headlines were bad enough without reading anymore illinformed views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I reported a "humorous" post in After Hours relating to the death of Lane Graves (the 2 year old boy killed by an alligator whilst holidaying in Disneyland) almost a month ago .......... it was never actioned and I never received a reply/PM explaining how/why that post was acceptable to Mods on Boards.

In short, don't try to apply any reasonable logic to the actions of Mods, CMods or even Admins on Boards ......... they make their own "rules" up as they go depending on the individual Mods opinion of posts and/or posters.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057610009

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100040802&postcount=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I might report your original post because I find it more reprehensible than the one you reported. Basically you said something inflammatory and someone responded in kind.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I reported a "humorous" post in After Hours relating to the death of Lane Graves (the 2 year old boy killed by an alligator whilst holidaying in Disneyland) almost a month ago .......... it was never actioned and I never received a reply/PM explaining how/why that post was acceptable to Mods on Boards.

In short, don't try to apply any reasonable logic to the actions of Mods, CMods or even Admins on Boards ......... they make their own "rules" up as they go depending on the individual Mods opinion of posts and/or posters.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057610009

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100040802&postcount=3

You're right. That was a stupid and insensitive post.

People sometimes say stupid and insensitive things. For my money Boom Bap was bang on the money with this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100041286&postcount=15, as were Calloway's and Esel's posts, both highly thanked.

If I had a problem with moderating - which I don't - I'd probably be citing this as an example of good modding.

- user says something stupid and insensitve
    - users point out how insensitive
    - Mod says come on
    - thread carries on and no one is banned or carded
    - Bingo

You're right. That was a stupid and insensitive post.

People sometimes say stupid and insensitive things. For my money Boom Bap was bang on the money with this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100041286&postcount=15, as were Calloway's and Esel's posts, both highly thanked.

If I had a problem with moderating - which I don't - I'd probably be citing this as an example of good modding.

- user says something stupid and insensitve
    - users point out how insensitive
    - Mod says come on
    - thread carries on and no one is banned or carded
    - Bingo

This was an example of terrible Modding:

- Poster says something stupid, offensive and insensitive.
    - Posters point out how insensitive and post is Reported.
    - Mod says "come on ........"
    - Poster defends his post and continues on unpunished.
    - Posters, such as myself, are left confused as to what is, and is not, acceptable to post?

Posts/posters have actioned for posting a less offensive posts than the one I Reported ......... Mod fail, on this occasion.

• Advertisement

This was an example of terrible Modding:

We're just opposite ends of the same spectrum.

For the record I think Mods have a difficult and largely thankless job, that they try and carry out in a human and sometimes fallable way.

Are you looking for more god-like qualities in mods? A more comprehensive set of rules that would leave no room for doubt or interpretation?
    - Poster defends his post and continues on unpunished.
    Unpunished :confused:. This is just a website.

- Posters, such as myself, are left confused as to what is, and is not, acceptable to post?
    We're all human at the end of the day. If you wouldn't say it in person, don't type it.

Just because some people say stupid insensitive things doesn't mean you either have to join them or even engage with them.

We're just opposite ends of the same spectrum.

For the record I think Mods have a difficult and largely thankless job, that they try and carry out in a human and sometimes fallable way.

Are you looking for more god-like qualities in mods? A more comprehensive set of rules that would leave no room for doubt or interpretation?

Unpunished :confused:. This is just a website.

We're all human at the end of the day. If you wouldn't say it in person, don't type it.

Just because some people say stupid insensitive things doesn't mean you either have to join them or even engage with them.

So ......... why are some posts/posters infracted when others aren't?
    Why do we even have a Report Post option, if it's going to be ignored, at will, by Mods??
    Why are there punishments (cards, bans etc.) if they are going to be implemented/ignored randomly???
    Why is there a DR Process when it clearly just goes through the motions as opposed to actually evaluating individual cases????

I'm not looking for perfection, just a little consistency in clear-cut cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So ......... why are some posts/posters infracted when others aren't?
    Why do we even have a Report Post option, if it's going to be ignored, at will, by Mods??
    Why are there punishments (cards, bans etc.) if they are going to be implemented/ignored randomly???
    Why is there a DR Process when it clearly just goes through the motions as opposed to actually evaluating individual cases????

I'm not looking for perfection, just a little consistency in clear-cut cases.

As you are aware the report post is for users to highlight issues to the mods. In AH ALL of these reported posts are assessed by one or ( usually ) more mods. Some are deemed to be worthy of ban/infraction others are deemed to be worthy of warning or no action. Our mods are best placed to assess what action is taken as they were only modded after proving they were level headed posters with good judgement.
    The post you talk of was assessed and actioned. Just because you report something does not mean it deserves sanction.
    It is good to see with the thousands of posts in AH that this is the only (minor) issue you have.

I think there is some element of confusion on the purpose of the "report post" button. It is to raise an issue that you think the mods need to be aware of. It is not a "punish" button or a "negative rep button".

Mods look at the issue and assess it in context. Recent threads here have called for more consideration from the mods of the circumstances of a post and not to auto assign an infraction or warning.

In the case of the OP, this is exactly what was done and while posters may post opinions that the majority will not agree with, unless it is deliberately offensive or trolling or just plain rude the mod has the responsibility of making that call. Yes, a post may offend you and you may disagree with it but thats the nature of conversation with groups, there will always be opposing or at least differing opinion. The real issue is how the posters deal with that different when they encounter it. and *thats* what mods need to moderate when it comes to discussion. Just plain illegal / trolling / spam the mods can auto warn/ban/infract to their hearts content and if that was all they had to do then we wouldnt have the mod selection process because anyone can enforce a clear set of do's and donts.

MadDog76 mentioned consistency: I agree. consistency is what mods should strive for and what makes it easy to not fall foul of the rules. Mods know this and they work toward it. What may sometimes seem to be inconsistent may however be leniency in order to avoid shutting down discussion or the issue may have been dealt with in an different way. Or there may have been a mitigating circumstance that the reporting poster is not aware of.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If it is an implication it's subtle enough to be allowed.

LoLth wrote: »
    I think there is some element of confusion on the purpose of the "report post" button. It is to raise an issue that you think the mods need to be aware of. It is not a "punish" button or a "negative rep button".

Mods look at the issue and assess it in context. Recent threads here have called for more consideration from the mods of the circumstances of a post and not to auto assign an infraction or warning.

In the case of the OP, this is exactly what was done and while posters may post opinions that the majority will not agree with, unless it is deliberately offensive or trolling or just plain rude the mod has the responsibility of making that call. Yes, a post may offend you and you may disagree with it but thats the nature of conversation with groups, there will always be opposing or at least differing opinion. The real issue is how the posters deal with that different when they encounter it. and *thats* what mods need to moderate when it comes to discussion. Just plain illegal / trolling / spam the mods can auto warn/ban/infract to their hearts content and if that was all they had to do then we wouldnt have the mod selection process because anyone can enforce a clear set of do's and donts.

MadDog76 mentioned consistency: I agree. consistency is what mods should strive for and what makes it easy to not fall foul of the rules. Mods know this and they work toward it. What may sometimes seem to be inconsistent may however be leniency in order to avoid shutting down discussion or the issue may have been dealt with in an different way. Or there may have been a mitigating circumstance that the reporting poster is not aware of.

I can't argue with your logical reasonable answer ........... thanks for taking the time to reply.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    As you are aware the report post is for users to highlight issues to the mods. In AH ALL of these reported posts are assessed by one or ( usually ) more mods. Some are deemed to be worthy of ban/infraction others are deemed to be worthy of warning or no action. Our mods are best placed to assess what action is taken as they were only modded after proving they were level headed posters with good judgement.
    The post you talk of was assessed and actioned. Just because you report something does not mean it deserves sanction.
    It is good to see with the thousands of posts in AH that this is the only (minor) issue you have.

And therein lies the problem, there seems to be a lack of consistency as to which posts are actioned versus unactioned posts .......... I often wonder if the deciding factor as to whether a post is actioned or not is more to do with the poster than the actual offending post itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The poster is an important factor alright. A new poster or a poster with a clean record will get more leeway than someone who constantly causes hassle for example (which should be an obvious statement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The poster is an important factor alright. A new poster or a poster with a clean record will get more leeway than someone who constantly causes hassle for example (which should be an obvious statement).
    Just playing devil's advocate here,.......

Surely as poster of long standing with a clean record should know better and have the rules applied on that basis rather than their record.....a premis often referred to in the prison forum.
    As for a new poster, well they would have read the t's & c's !

Indeed and a new poster would get more of a benefit of the doubt than a long established poster.
    Not rocket science*

*otherwise I would never have been modded.

• Advertisement

Your statement is brave and confirms many of my suspicions, I appreciate the clarification and confirmation.

So .......... certain posters, with clean records, get to bend (and occasionally blatantly break) the rules and get away with it because a Mod decides "ah, he's usually ok, I'll let this one slide" .......... this gets repeated so that particular poster never gets actioned and continues to push the boundaries further & further, unchecked.

Other posters get a couple of yellow cards and maybe a red card over the course of a couple of years and then gets pounced on by an over-zealous Mod (of which there are many!) with a temporary ban for a border-line post ........ if that poster forgets to cross a "t" or dot an "i" in the future he/she again gets hammered while the Mods pat eachother on the back for a job well done pointing at the "offending" posters "terrible record" ......... it's a vicious circle and a wholly unfair way of implementing rules/standards.

If you, personally, cannot see how that flawed mind-set and "process" of policing posts/posters has lead to a definite undercurrent of resentment (and loss of faith) towards Mods, CMods, Admin and the DR Process then ............ you can't see the wood from the trees and you are an inherent part of the problem, ie. you can't fix it unless you can accept it's broken.

That said, I do appreciate your honesty at least.

Well that is not what I said at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There's obviously a difference between a normally calm poster acting up in a thread after someone hit a nerve with a comment and someone who turns every thread on a particular topic into a trainwreck acting up in a thread on that topic.

nesf wrote: »
    There's obviously a difference between a normally calm poster acting up in a thread after someone hit a nerve with a comment and someone who turns every thread on a particular topic into a trainwreck acting up in a thread on that topic.

Exactly. Common sense approach.

Well that is not what I said at all.

Excellent reply ......... at least you didn't deny that my post is true.

Well to be fair to mods it has been explained to you in excruciating detail on this thread, other feedback threads and the various DRPs that you have been through. You don't want to see any point of view other than your own and that is fine but I am confused as to why you keep asking when you are repeatedly given the same answer.
    Is there some point trying to be made? Some action against you that you would like me to look into? I am quite happy to do so and post the reasoning here for everyone to judge for themselves*

*assuming it is in one of my forums (which most of your posts are)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

Probably not unfortunately. It seems like a very apt response sometimes though. Try to resist ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tumblr_m1i4t675va1qkpoqxo1_400.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement