Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reported post not acted upon

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My opinion? Over moderation and complaints about over moderation are two sides of the same Boards.ie coin.
    There's too damn much focus on moderation on this site. On all sides.

When I see a mod going on about "ban hammers" I usually think "thundering gobshite", equally when I see others going on about mods abusing power and all that I usually think "thundering gobshite" too.

It's all very autistic, or it can get that way fast. Time and motion rules lawyering on all sides. No understanding of grey areas or leeway or subtlety. Y'know normal human interaction. Nope it has to be rigid and with a heavy side order of solipsism with it. QV this very thread. "My reported post wasn't acted upon, How dare you!!". Get over yourself. It really doesn't matter. Though as we've seen culturally the internets has increasingly drifted towards echo chambers where all can be Sheldon Coopers of their own little worldview together, so that seems to be the popular choice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Then I'd love to know why this post http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057616928/1/#post100230133 wasn't sanctioned in some way.

I also note that the post was thanked by a number of other mods and that the thread had significant admin involvement.

The double standards around here are sickening.

Dunno. Definitely deserved to be actioned. The forum mods would have to answer that one.
    Unfortunately I only have modding ability over the fora which are assigned to me and feedback is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Dunno. Definitely deserved to be actioned.
    TBH PR, at this stage it would be nice to just call a spade a spade.

Look P, on here and in life, some people are just time wasters and whingers that will never be satisfied. That is their thing. Even if you gave them the reins of Boards(or whatever else ails them in their world), they'd only get momentary relief from being self entitled moaners and off they would go looking for something else to be unhappy about.

A good rule in life(and especially love) and works well here IMHO: You simply cannot satisfy someone whose existence and worldview is predicated on being unsatisfied and it is foolish to try.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

At the risk of walking directly into the cunning trap laid for me I've warned Chorus_Sucks' post.

There is a difference between describing someone as being whiney as part of an ongoing discussion / heat of the moment posting and deliberately posting to provoke a response.

That sort of game playing is pretty much exactly what is wrong with the report post feature and why we need human mods that can differentiate based on nuance. In olden days we would have classified it as "being a dick" but we had to drop that category because people took offense to being called dicks. Right now, its pretty much trolling for a reaction.

I've had enough of it to be honest. this was a decent discussion that got almost got derailed by someone out to use the system against itself to prove their own point. The rules are there to provide a guideline for a better community for all posters, not to give mods an ego boost or service posters who want to show the world of anonymous accounts just how smart their anonymous account actually is in a virtual environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've reported some posts that never seemed to have anything done about them.

I just assumed that the mods had decided they didn't cross any line. Never until today did I realise it was all a conspiracy against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I'm saying that determining when someone has crossed a line requires a human mod to take context and nuance into account rather than a hard binary right or wrong set of rules.

If you want to express your opinion in a discussion then go ahead. If you want to rules lawyer, fire away. be a dick about the rules and cause hassle for users or mods and you'll get warned/infracted or banned.

regardless of forum specific charters etc I think the general rule of thumb should be play nice and you have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well to be fair to mods it has been explained to you in excruciating detail on this thread, other feedback threads and the various DRPs that you have been through. You don't want to see any point of view other than your own and that is fine but I am confused as to why you keep asking when you are repeatedly given the same answer.
    Is there some point trying to be made? Some action against you that you would like me to look into? I am quite happy to do so and post the reasoning here for everyone to judge for themselves*

*assuming it is in one of my forums (which most of your posts are)

Going down the personal route Pawwed? Tut tut ....... attack the post, not the poster and all that. ;)
    I'm offering my opinion on Mods, CMods, Admins, Reporting Posts and the DR Process in general based on my observations whilst using this site ......... the reason I keep asking the same questions is because the same problems still exist and are being ignored .......... I believe that is the purpose of the Feedback Forum?

My own personal experiences, since you insisted on bringing it up, are a mixed bag ......... I've found a minority of Mods, CMods & Admins to be reasonable logical people .......... but even those Mods have their hands tied at times as they can't, or they feel they can't, go against the tide. They do their best, and I applaud them & their efforts but the problems are more significant/severe than they can tackle.
    My experience of the DR Process is also mixed ......... I've been infracted/banned etc. and decided not to appeal as the infractions were justified (or border-line in most cases) ........... on the occasions that I have gone through the Appeals Process, I've gotten lucky a few times (and it is just pure luck who you get to pass judgement on you!) and the rest of the time it was the usual going through the motions process.

This particular thread is about reporting posts and the inconsistencies as to which posts/posters are actioned versus those who are allowed bend/break the rules ......... and the reasons for these inconsistencies.

Wibbs wrote: »
    My opinion? Over moderation and complaints about over moderation are two sides of the same Boards.ie coin.
    There's too damn much focus on moderation on this site. On all sides.

When I see a mod going on about "ban hammers" I usually think "thundering gobshite", equally when I see others going on about mods abusing power and all that I usually think "thundering gobshite" too.

It's all very autistic, or it can get that way fast. Time and motion rules lawyering on all sides. No understanding of grey areas or leeway or subtlety. Y'know normal human interaction. Nope it has to be rigid and with a heavy side order of solipsism with it. QV this very thread. "My reported post wasn't acted upon, How dare you!!". Get over yourself. It really doesn't matter. Though as we've seen culturally the internets has increasingly drifted towards echo chambers where all can be Sheldon Coopers of their own little worldview together, so that seems to be the popular choice.

I don't think the issue is Reported Posts not being actioned, it's more the fact that less offending posts are unnecessarily actioned ......... grey areas/interpretations etc. are all well & good but the level of inconsistent behaviour from some Mods regarding some posts/posters is, at times, astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Some of the things I'd like to see are
    1 an acknowledgement by a mod of a report. It's not a major deal to have an automatic reply when a mod opens a report.
    2. For transparency, that the reason for no action be explained. For the most part people report posts which are offensive or break the rules in some form. A reasoned explanation of why an action wasn't taken would aid transparency and stop accusations of "not infractions your mates".
    3. A clearer explanation in the charters of how infractions etc will be administered and in what circumstances. I.e If he's new or generally causes no problems , he'll be overlooked. If he has a history from 10 years ago he'll be dealt with harshly.

LoLth wrote: »
    I'm saying that determining when someone has crossed a line requires a human mod to take context and nuance into account rather than a hard binary right or wrong set of rules.

If you want to express your opinion in a discussion then go ahead. If you want to rules lawyer, fire away. be a dick about the rules and cause hassle for users or mods and you'll get warned/infracted or banned.

regardless of forum specific charters etc I think the general rule of thumb should be play nice and you have nothing to worry about.

What about those Posters, and indeed Mods, who don't play nice but are never reprimanded?

1 an acknowledgement by a mod of a report. It's not a major deal to have an automatic reply when a mod opens a report.
    2. For transparency, that the reason for no action be explained. For the most part people report posts which are offensive or break the rules in some form. A reasoned explanation of why an action wasn't taken would aid transparency and stop accusations of "not infractions your mates".
    3. A clearer explanation in the charters of how infractions etc will be administered and in what circumstances. I.e If he's new or generally causes no problems , he'll be overlooked. If he has a history from 10 years ago he'll be dealt with harshly.

Some excellent ideas there .........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MadDog76 wrote: »
    What about those Posters, and indeed Mods, who don't play nice but are never reprimanded?

In the recent Soccer feedback thread I mentioned how Mods have been admonished in the past for not living up to the standards expected. So please stop trying that tired argument. There is also a huge amount of background discussion going on between the mods at all times so don't assume that a poster is getting away unnoticed. It could happen, but it's unlikely.

I somewhat agree with Wibbs here. There is too much attention on moderating from users, and in direct feedback to that, from the moderators themselves. This rules lawyering and soapboxing is eating up valuable time from all involved. And to what benefit?? Other than further entrenching this detrimental and negative view of them vs us. To be frank, I believe this type of time wasting is damaging to the community spirit of Boards.

IMO, moderating will always have an element of judgement call to it. If it was purely by the rule book, then we'd probably have a lot more infractions and bans than we have now. I've also thought about the request to have mods respond to RPs, but I believe that will drag us down the wasting time rabbit hole even more.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

LoLth wrote: »
    Chat shít, get banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah yeah, we've nothing better to be doing with our lives. Mods put enough time into the site as it is without spending hours responding to reported posts. There's no point in a reporter receiving acknowledgement of a report being opened either, I open loads and don't action them for one reason or another. It could be left another hour or 5 before it's looked at properly.

A complete non runner and the expectation of mods to do this is off the wall.

As for your third point. Charters need to be non specific in some cases or you'll get dickheads and their rules lawyering for every second card or ban handed out.

You know what. Don't be a dîck and you most likely won't have an issue on the site. Act the bollox and you will. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ah yeah, we've nothing better to be doing with our lives. Mods put enough time into the site as it is without spending hours responding to reported posts. There's no point in a reporter receiving acknowledgement of a report being opened either, I open loads and don't action them for one reason or another. It could be left another hour or 5 before it's looked at properly.

A complete non runner and the expectation of mods to do this is off the wall.
    t.

Agreed , in the politics cafe we can get up to five reported posts in an hour, usually about fifty a day.

It's not practical to expect responses to each one

I appreciate that mods give a lot of their time to moderating. I do it on other sites , so know what's involved. We don't have this in place ourselves, but generally everyone does play nice.
    But from what I'm seeing there is an attitude of no transparency and that's how we like it.

An automatic acknowledgement of a report at least let's the reporter know , that his effort and time in reporting a post is acknowledged irrespective of the outcome.
    Granted individual responses is probably to much but a monthly/ weekly stats report would be a start. Number of posts reported v number actioned. I'm sure an SQL command could be run to pull the information off the forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

An automatic acknowledgement of a report at least let's the reporter know , that his effort and time in reporting a post is acknowledged irrespective of the outcome.
    Granted individual responses is probably to much but a monthly/ weekly stats report would be a start. Number of posts reported v number actioned. I'm sure an SQL command could be run to pull the information off the forum.

There is no linkage that I am aware of that would provide such a report, it's not the case that all reported posts are updated with decisions to action or not

Way too many outside influences. If a poster is reported 5 times in a thread I'll most likely take note of the first 4 and action the fifth, if action is required. Stats are already completely skewed due to one single instance. I understand what you're saying, and if possible some sort of implementation of that may work, but right now I'm drawing a blank. There's not a hope it could be done manually, I'm not sure if you've noticed the workload the office is under and to ask volunteers to do so wouldrbe madness and completely rejected I would assume.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

An automated acknowledgement that a reported post has been opened serves no useful purpose because quite a few mods respond to the RP having received an automated e-mail advising them that there is one. So they may not actually open the reported post itself, but will action it based on the e-mail they receive. You would probably also run into problems if yours isn't the first report of a post, as frequently happens.

The other issue is that there's nothing that specifically indicates RPs actioned, so I'm afraid there's no SQL command in the world could pull up information that doesn't exist.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Way too many outside influences. If a poster is reported 5 times in a thread I'll most likely take note of the first 4 and action the fifth, if action is required. Stats are already completely skewed due to one single instance. I understand what you're saying, and if possible some sort of implementation of that may work, but right now I'm drawing a blank. There's not a hope it could be done manually, I'm not sure if you've noticed the workload the office is under and to ask volunteers to do so wouldrbe madness and completely rejected I would assume.

Glad I'm not mad in suggesting it.
    Should be simple enough to do.
    Id assume there's a reported column in the database. And also columns for yellow, reds, and bans.
    Someone should be able to come up with an SQL command to pull them together and give a total.
    I know they're busy in the office but there are a few coding gurus around the site that I'm sure could do it in their coffee break.:)

Id assume there's a reported column in the database. And also columns for yellow, reds, and bans.
    Someone should be able to come up with an SQL command to pull them together and give a total.
    I know they're busy in the office but there are a few coding gurus around the site that I'm sure could do it in their coffee break.:)

Not all cards /bans are as a result of reported posts however?

Additionally reported posts can result in on thread warnings to calm things down.

There is no direct competition between reported posts and cards/bans

Genuinely, it would depend on the circumstances.

• Advertisement

I think you completely missed the rest of my post...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement