Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reported post not acted upon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Genuinely, it would depend on the circumstances.

Same here in the politics cafe, long running chat threads can result in people being more personal than in more formal forums so there is a lot more latitude than in other forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think you completely missed the rest of my post...

No... definitely read it all.:)

Commands can be set to discount repeated instances of reports on the same post.

Letting randomers into your database would be another issue but then as some of the gurus are mods and have proven their coding ability and commitment to the community in creating programs for the likes of Argos, the untrustworthyness element is removed.

As StHeno said, some actions aren't the result of reports but they are a different issue and not the subject of this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But from what I'm seeing there is an attitude of no transparency and that's how we like it.
    Frankly that's bollocks. I can think of no other web forum where moderators and moderator actions have so much scrutiny, interest and recourse to appeal. The vast majority of websites that have mods are almost entirely opaque in how they do business. A goodly amount of the time the community neither knows nor cares who's a mod or not. Look at Reddit as an example. As I said earlier Boards suffers from its own success in this and moderation is far too much a factor on every level here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Frankly that's bollocks. I can think of no other web forum where moderators and moderator actions have so much scrutiny, interest and recourse to appeal. The vast majority of websites that have mods are almost entirely opaque in how they do business. A goodly amount of the time the community neither knows nor cares who's a mod or not. Look at Reddit as an example. As I said earlier Boards suffers from its own success in this and moderation is far too much a factor on every level here.

Pretty sure he's saying there's no transparency on the forum he mods as opposed to boards

Maybe not. I dunno :/

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

There's plenty of transparency, but there's no consistency. Apart from being consistently inconsistent. And there's no transparency to the inconsistencies, but at least that's consistent too...

• Advertisement

There's plenty of transparency, but there's no consistency. Apart from being consistently inconsistent. And there's no transparency to the inconsistencies, but at least that's consistent too...

So... What's the issue!? :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you write speeches for an Taoiseach by any chance? :D

Boards has become way too democratic for its own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dudara wrote: »
    In the recent Soccer feedback thread I mentioned how Mods have been admonished in the past for not living up to the standards expected. So please stop trying that tired argument. There is also a huge amount of background discussion going on between the mods at all times so don't assume that a poster is getting away unnoticed. It could happen, but it's unlikely.

I somewhat agree with Wibbs here. There is too much attention on moderating from users, and in direct feedback to that, from the moderators themselves. This rules lawyering and soapboxing is eating up valuable time from all involved. And to what benefit?? Other than further entrenching this detrimental and negative view of them vs us. To be frank, I believe this type of time wasting is damaging to the community spirit of Boards.

IMO, moderating will always have an element of judgement call to it. If it was purely by the rule book, then we'd probably have a lot more infractions and bans than we have now. I've also thought about the request to have mods respond to RPs, but I believe that will drag us down the wasting time rabbit hole even more.

Is there any proof or examples of this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Turtyturd wrote: »

It's there for all to see in the moderator flogging forum.

Do you not have access yet?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Turtyturd wrote: »

Many of the moderators have remained active posters on Boards. I don't see how it's fair to highlight them in public. Others have chosen to leave Boards, but again I fail to see the point in naming them. There is a nasty tendancy evolving on websites to gang up on other posters and I think it's best to preserve anonymity.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »

It's not really when it's been acknowledged here that the "punishment" of an offender is down to such vague reasonings as to whether he is a new poster, someone who generally doesn't cause a problem and as a result gets away with it and someone who infringed at some point and is given no leeway. Next thing we'll be told is that it's down to if the offender stirs his coffee clockwise or counterclockwise ( i jest)

I'm not for rigidness but I would like consistency, even if its just the "generally OK guy" getting a warning on thread so he knows instead of a mod turning a blind eye.

Out of interest, how many hours a week do most mods spend modding?

There are hundreds of mods. I'm sure it varies from 10 minutes a week to 10 hours+ a week. Politics, soccer and AH being the most demanding IMO, though I'm sure there are others I don't frequent that take up a lot of time

It's not really when it's been acknowledged here that the "punishment" of an offender is down to such vague reasonings as to whether he is a new poster, someone who generally doesn't cause a problem and as a result gets away with it and someone who infringed at some point and is given no leeway. Next thing we'll be told is that it's down to if the offender stirs his coffee clockwise or counterclockwise ( i jest)

I'm not for rigidness but I would like consistency, even if its just the "generally OK guy" getting a warning on thread so he knows instead of a mod turning a blind eye.

There is a popular misconception that just because a mod fails to post on thread what they did then it means they did nothing.

Where you work (if you do) is there a daily or hourly update on employee disciplinary actions? Do you complain vigourously about the lack of it?

Just because it doesn't happen in public - etc.. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Across my forums, around 12 hours a week, 8 in politics cafe, 2-3 in work and jobs and an hour in the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

osarusan wrote: »
    I've reported some posts that never seemed to have anything done about them.

I just assumed that the mods had decided they didn't cross any line. Never until today did I realise it was all a conspiracy against me.

Aye, when I've reported posts on fora (not on boards.ie), the note I write to accompany it is usually along the lines of; "Aaaah, I think this post crossed the line because <give reason>, see what you think". Some have been actioned, some haven't and that's fine. Just because one reports a post doesn't mean it will be actioned. Especially as anyone can report a post in the heat of the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Ah yeah, we've nothing better to be doing with our lives. Mods put enough time into the site as it is without spending hours responding to reported posts. There's no point in a reporter receiving acknowledgement of a report being opened either, I open loads and don't action them for one reason or another. It could be left another hour or 5 before it's looked at properly.

A complete non runner and the expectation of mods to do this is off the wall.

As for your third point. Charters need to be non specific in some cases or you'll get dickheads and their rules lawyering for every second card or ban handed out.

You know what. Don't be a dîck and you most likely won't have an issue on the site. Act the bollox and you will. Simple as that.

If that were true then we wouldn't be having this discussion ..............

Steve wrote: »
    There is a popular misconception that just because a mod fails to post on thread what they did then it means they did nothing.

Where you work (if you do) is there a daily or hourly update on employee disciplinary actions? Do you complain vigourously about the lack of it?

If I made a formal complaint about a colleague in work then I would expect to be kept informed as to the outcome of my complaint ......... actually I would demand to know how my complaint was handled, the eventual outcome and the reasons behind any lack of disciplinary actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A troll will be acted on differently to a normal poster. Inconsistent yes, but common sense.

The recent feedback thread was mostly looking for less moderation so that has to be borne in mind. I give out far more in thread warnings than cards or bans and I don't care who is involved if a thread is a mess.

I've warned, carded, banned and permabanned mods so they definitely aren't immune from modding. Told an admin to cop on a couple of times as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If I made a formal complaint about a colleague in work then I would expect to be kept informed as to the outcome of my complaint ......... actually I would demand to know how my complaint was handled, the eventual outcome and the reasons behind any lack of disciplinary actions.

Yeah, but this is the internet, you are making a complaint about a poster on an internet site, and as pointed out boards goes beyond other sites for transparency. There's a line between what some expect and what can reasonably be delivered by volunteer mods.

Things are getting way too serious business around here, unrealistic expectations by a few posters and mods losing track of the fun part of the site. Both are linked, it should be fun to mod a site like this, not a chore.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Kinda funny thread that led to the op making his complaint about lack of mod action has been locked for reviews 2-3 times in last 2 days due to disruptive posters

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, but this is the internet, you are making a complaint about a poster on an internet site, and as pointed out boards goes beyond other sites for transparency. There's a line between what some expect and what can reasonably be delivered by volunteer mods.

Things are getting way too serious business around here, unrealistic expectations by a few posters and mods losing track of the fun part of the site. Both are linked, it should be fun to mod a site like this, not a chore.

It was Steve who made the comparison with a real-life working environment, I was simply asking him to follow through with his comparison ..........

Gatling wrote: »
    Kinda funny thread that led to the op making his complaint about lack of mod action has been locked for reviews 2-3 times in last 2 days due to disruptive posters

I think we can all agree that the discussion has evolved into the inconsistencies around Mod actions as opposed to a call for more moderation .......... I personally feel that every Poster should be accountable to the Rules of Boards or we should all be allowed a little more leeway ........... if it were up to me, there would be a lot less moderation ......... for every Poster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I personally feel that every Poster should be accountable to the Rules of Boards

And every poster is despite what you believe. I can't see how else to explain it to you.

Wasn't getting personal earlier. Just giving you a chance to thrash out any issues you had if you wanted.

I personally feel that every Poster should be accountable to the Rules of Boards

This may come as a surprise but ALL posters are accountable to the Boards Terms of Use.
    or we should all be allowed a little more leeway

Trust me when I say that mods pretty much always prefer to allow as much leeway as possible. That way mods don't have to spend time defending decisions to posters via PMs, Feedback or DRF.
    if it were up to me, there would be a lot less moderation ......... for every Poster.

I think you've made your position clearly felt.

dudara wrote: »
    This may come as a surprise but ALL posters are accountable to the Boards Terms of Use.

Trust me when I say that mods pretty much always prefer to allow as much leeway as possible. That way mods don't have to spend time defending decisions to posters via PMs, Feedback or DRF.

I think you've made your position clearly felt.

I think Mad Dog wants anarchy.....or a thread he can point back to "where the mods/admin said .…." when all goes bad elsewhere. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is simply not true.

Have you seen the link I posted above where a mod accused a poster of acting like a whiney bollix? The rules about personal abuse didn't seem to apply there.

It is different rules for different people around here.

Yes I responded to you on it????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

Well then how can you claim that the rules apply equally to everyone? .

Did you ask the forum mods like I suggested?
    I only speak for my own fora.

• Advertisement

@Chorus_suck - you have already received a warning in this thread for being deliberately provocactive here. Please do not continue in this vein as your repetitive soapboxing is not bringing any merit to this discussion.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement