Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure if this is legal??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Questions16

Thanks guys.

I've honestly spent more time thinking about what they're going to want from me next, or worried about calling and not having any information to update them with, when I should be focused on getting well again.

Everything is on their terms, the day I have to call them, the specific time they want to be called at, and my manager is also expecting another call from me tomorrow so she can tell me what day suits her for the meeting.

After a couple of week off, my manager wanted me to speak to my doctor just to find out how long he thinks I'll be off for, so I could let her know. She also brought up recruiting someone else in the meantime, if I was going to be out for much longer.

Absolutely no consideration for the sick person! I really shouldn't be surprised though.

I already have a notice of resignation drafted, haven't gotten as far as printing it yet, but it's looking likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

PlainP wrote: »
    To me it sounds like you are pis$ed off that you have to come into the meeting as you will be on holidays, but if you are sick you're not going to be on holidays.

So you should be available for the meeting?!

If someone is out of work on sick leave there is nothing wrong with a bit of relaxation or recharging the batteries by way of a holiday to get them back on their feet.

Any worker experiencing work related stress, a broken leg, a life threatening illness, cancer etc. could benefit from a holiday to help get them back on their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thanks guys.

I've honestly spent more time thinking about what they're going to want from me next, or worried about calling and not having any information to update them with, when I should be focused on getting well again.

Everything is on their terms, the day I have to call them, the specific time they want to be called at, and my manager is also expecting another call from me tomorrow so she can tell me what day suits her for the meeting.

After a couple of week off, my manager wanted me to speak to my doctor just to find out how long he thinks I'll be off for, so I could let her know. She also brought up recruiting someone else in the meantime, if I was going to be out for much longer.

Absolutely no consideration for the sick person! I really shouldn't be surprised though.

I already have a notice of resignation drafted, haven't gotten as far as printing it yet, but it's looking likely.

Ah come on, try to look at it from the other side. You're out for legitimate reasons no doubt but you're still out and business does go on and the work needs to be covered. Of course they want to know as much as they can on how long you're going to be absent or not. Doesn't mean they don't care which they probably don't as long as its not serious but hey its a work relationship not a best buddies club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I have been working there for one year from the start of this month.

I'd have to root out my contract to check properly, but my manager told me that I had to call once a week for the duration of my absence, on top of getting medical certificates of course. She never mentioned anything about switching to meetings being company policy or at what stage they would have to begin.

I am also aware that my condition has been discussed among the staff.

To be honest, I am not even sure I want to return there now.

I feel they have purposely been putting pressure on me to return, once again I won't go into detail to be cautious.

Thank you for your advice, davo10.

Calling once a week with your medical certs really isn't that bad IF you are medically fit to do so.

However, your employer has a health and well-being responsibility to you and it looks like they're ignoring it to a certain extent.

Normal practice would be that you provide the weekly certs from your Doctor but sending them in by post should be enough.

Your employer should be ringing you to check on your well-being not you ringing them as a form of keeping an eye on you.

Your illness should be confidential between yourself and your HR Dept, this should not be a matter of discussion amongst other staff.

Under no circumstances would I attend a meeting in work, you have been certified unfit to attend work, if something happened you whilst on the premises you are not insured.

Some strange procedures in place in this company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Questions16

Boskowski wrote: »
    Ah come on, try to look at it from the other side. You're out for legitimate reasons no doubt but you're still out and business does go on and the work needs to be covered. Of course they want to know as much as they can on how long you're going to be absent or not. Doesn't mean they don't care which they probably don't as long as its not serious but hey its a work relationship not a best buddies club.

It's an incredibly quiet time of year in my workplace, there's far more staff on than is needed, everyone's contracted minimum hours are just being met. There's several staff members constantly asking for more hours, so the work being covered is not an issue for them currently. My weekly hours are a mere 8.

Of course they don't care, it's a business, they care about making money, and nothing else.
    I said consideration, not care, it's not normal practice to want so much from someone out sick, who is already complying with what they want, and following regular absence protocol, ie medical certificates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have you phoned the WTC ?
    If you haven't , it's your next call.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Under Irish law, I don't believe there's actually requirement to have consideration for someone who cannnot fulfil their employement contract for whatever reason - except for jury duty and serving with the Defence reserve. There may be some other exceptions I don't know about - but I'm 99.99% sickness isn't one of them.

Most employers do have some degree of consideration, and allow at least unpaid sick leave, bereavement leave, etc.

Possily the law-makers didn't even consider that an employer would put a dumb clause like that "You must meet with us every week even when you're sick" into their employment contracts.

But if consideration is not required, then there are some employers (bad ones - or also multi-nationals who follow the letter of the law exactly in every country where they operate) who will not do it.

Right now, your choices are either to play along, let it go (resign), or to take a complaint to Workplace Relations.

Advertisement