Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking club Dublin for early thirties female

Options
  • 08-07-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a female in my early 30s and have recently starting hiking. To date I've tagged along with a friend or two on a few informal groups but as lovely as they are, they're generally a good 30 years older than me! They also don't go out that regularly.

Can anyone suggest some hiking groups around Dublin that would be a bit more age appropriate for me? Love the chance to get outdoors but it would be great to meet some like-minded people too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Ramblers?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Definitely not the Ramblers. The Wayfarers are an option. Some of the meetup groups. Running is very popular also at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There are three fairly active meetup groups as well

http://www.meetup.com/Wicklow-Free-Walking-Club/

http://www.meetup.com/DUBLIN-FREE-HIKING-GROUP/

http://www.meetup.com/Hiking-in-Wicklow/

There are others but from what i remember there are charges associated with them.

I've hiked with all three groups mentioned here and the age range is very broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RojaStar

Brilliant thanks so much for the tips, I've signed up for a couple of those hiking groups, they look perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Did you find any Roja star? I really want to get back hiking, and have joined An OIge, but havent actually gone anywhere yet..love to hear how you got on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Think there's plenty of walking clubs in the Dublin region, apologies I'm not from there, but I'm sure there's plenty of information on mountaineering.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurakil24

Hi RojaStar! Have you tried any of these out yet? Or LadyMayBelle maybe?If so how did you guys get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ping pong

I am in An Oige and hike regularly with them.
    The Pros
    No worries about transport. The private bus leaves the city centre every Sunday at 10.15am. You can decide on Sunday morning whether to go or not. It is first come first served and the bus is not usually full. You have no commitments like car pooling etc. The bus costs €15 and as far as I know you need to be an An Oige member.
    There are 3 levels of hike. The first group go on a very easy stroll, I guess around 5k. The second group do about 10-12k and the third around 13-15k. This means that you can do an easy hike the first week to build your confidence, then move up the levels.
    As you are on a private bus, the walks are looped as the bus collects you at the end of the hike at a different location. This means you have lovely hikes.
    The Cons
    The hikers are generally older so if you are looking to meet people of your own age you will not meet many (but you will meet some). The older hikers are a great advertisement for growing older as their levels of fitness are inspiring.

Advertisement