Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What mileage from tyres?

• 08-07-2016 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone know what mileage can be expected from new tyres? I drive a Volvo V70 and drive on Continental 245/40 R18*Y SPORT tyres. I do not accelerate nor brake unnecessarily and keep to recommended pressures.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

It will depend on a few factors, state of roads, age of car, speed, weather etc but the principle is the rears last longer than the fronts and a good garage will rotate to promote even wear and longevity. The rears should fo 40k and the fronts 25,000 so if you were to rotate you would get more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

swoofer wrote: »
    It will depend on a few factors, state of roads, age of car, speed, weather etc but the principle is the rears last longer than the fronts and a good garage will rotate to promote even wear and longevity. The rears should fo 40k and the fronts 25,000 so if you were to rotate you would get more.
    Eh,no you don't get any more life out of your tyres by rotating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

err apparently you do but you have a good username!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

vandriver wrote: »
    Eh,no you don't get any more life out of your tyres by rotating them.
    Yeah, more even wear rather than longer life, I would have thought.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭clonagam

swoofer wrote: »

I assume you are measuring in kilometers. Greater wear on front tyres sounds logical because of steering movements. I am soon to replace two tyres with 15,056 and 19,251 kilometers respectively and they have been rotated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

Think about it,you have 4 tyres in contact with the road.Two at the front with one wear rate,and two at the back with a lower wear rate.
    Whichever way you rotate your 4 tyres,the doesn't affect the wear rate one jot.
    All it means is that instead of changing 2 tyres at say 20k,then 4 at 40k(assuming double the wear rate in the front),you have to replace all 4 at 26.6k .
    Now,I hope you're all happy that you made me do maths on a Friday night!

Edit Turns out Esel was actually agreeing with me.I didnt read his post clearly.
    This was not aimed at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Conti sport contact 2/3/5's aren't renowned for wearing all that well tbh. 15k km in a heavy FWD (presumably diesel) car sounds normal enough.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I got 20k miles out of my set of my front Uniroyal Rainsport3 tyres, and I was pretty happy with that considering the quality of the tyre. Still plenty of life left in the rears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Continental and good years wouldn't last the longest but have serious grip.
    Try Michelin or Bridgestone next u should get a few extra thousand out of them with no compromise on grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have 10k miles on a set of Michelin Crossclimates, on a Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 Diesel. Fronts have about 4-5mm left and the rears a lot more.
    I find the wear rate quite good, I am due to rotate them soon so will know exactly how much they have worn.
    I am impressed with them considering the poor surfaces on regional roads and the torquey and heavy car they are under.
    I run them at 37psi all round at the recommended pressure they look very soft, modern tyres have very soft sidewalls to lower noise and at low pressures are susceptible to the shoulders rolling and wearing.

• Advertisement

Think about it,you have 4 tyres in contact with the road.Two at the front with one wear rate,and two at the back with a lower wear rate.
    Whichever way you rotate your 4 tyres,the doesn't affect the wear rate one jot.
    All it means is that instead of changing 2 tyres at say 20k,then 4 at 40k(assuming double the wear rate in the front),you have to replace all 4 at 26.6k .
    Now,I hope you're all happy that you made me do maths on a Friday night!

Edit Turns out Esel was actually agreeing with me.I didnt read his post clearly.
    This was not aimed at you.
    Didn't think it was. :)

As we seem to be diverging a bit, most people don't know that in the vast majority of cases the tyres with the most tread should be fitted to the rear wheels. So, if your front tyres need replacing put the existing rears on the front and the new pair on the rear. Counter-intuitive, but true.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

clonagam wrote: »
    I assume you are measuring in kilometers. Greater wear on front tyres sounds logical because of steering movements. I am soon to replace two tyres with 15,056 and 19,251 kilometers respectively and they have been rotated.

That's very little. You must've driven hard on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

IMO, OP's question is impossible to answer.

Tyre wear can differ greatly, depending on many factors. I try to list a few.

1. The car - some cars wear tyres more than others. FWD cars tent to wear front tyres much more than rear ones. RWD cars probably could wear both front and rear evenly. Some cars have design flaws, which causes excessive tyre wear (f.e. rear only or front only). Car weight will influence tyre wear a lot, but generally wider tyres are used in heavier cars to compensate.

2. Driving style - generally the faster, the harded acceleration and braking and negotiating bend, then faster the tyre wear.

3. Type of roads you drive on - flat straight roads like motorways or straight national roads, tend to wear tyres much slower than bendy country roads.

4. Type of surface you drive on - flat smooth asphalt like used in many places on the EU Continent, is much less tyre wearing than rough tarmac made by surface dressing technology in West of Ireland.

5. Tyre itself - some brand are made from softer rubber wearing faster, while others might be wearing much less. Also initial amount of tread differs greatly. Some manufacturers would only put 6mm tread, while others put 9mm tread. Considering you might wear it down to 2mm, in first case you have only 4mm to wear, while in 9mm case, you have 7mm to wear (75% more, so tyre will last 75% longer).

6. Tyre size - generally if you use wider tyres, they will last longer - f.e. if car manufacturer allows 205 or 225 width, then if you decide for 225 width they will last longer.

I have extreme examples.
    1. Me driving very fast, fairly heavy fwd car, on very bendy, extremely rough surface country roads in West of Ireland, and I'm achieving no more than 10-12k km from a set of front tyres, with minimum being about 7-8k as far as I remember.

2. My dad, driving small light opel corsa, usually very slow and gentle, in Poland on smooth surface roads, a set of tyres can last him more than 80k km, so we are talking about around 8 times as far as mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

14 Audi A4 with 18" alloy on Pirelli's. Still on the the original rear set after 57k and plenty of life left in them. The front set were replaced at 35k with the same brand and about 15k left. Would'nt complain with that mileage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

That's miles, right Buzzard?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Hardly.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Lit 4 goodyear efficient grip up this evening on wet irish tarmac. No TC... 20k km max I'd say. What can ya do ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

On a FWD the nearside will wear faster if you do a lot of roundabouts.

I've nearly worn my tyres after 10k miles on a GS450h, fitted Dunlop Sportmax as they got good reviews, used to get way more than that on every other car I had doing the same journey. Definitely will need replacing by winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Joe 90

CiniO wrote: »
    IMO, OP's question is impossible to answer.

Tyre wear can differ greatly, depending on many factors. I try to list a few.

1. The car - some cars wear tyres more than others. FWD cars tent to wear front tyres much more than rear ones. RWD cars probably could wear both front and rear evenly. Some cars have design flaws, which causes excessive tyre wear (f.e. rear only or front only). Car weight will influence tyre wear a lot, but generally wider tyres are used in heavier cars to compensate.

2. Driving style - generally the faster, the harded acceleration and braking and negotiating bend, then faster the tyre wear.

3. Type of roads you drive on - flat straight roads like motorways or straight national roads, tend to wear tyres much slower than bendy country roads.

4. Type of surface you drive on - flat smooth asphalt like used in many places on the EU Continent, is much less tyre wearing than rough tarmac made by surface dressing technology in West of Ireland.

5. Tyre itself - some brand are made from softer rubber wearing faster, while others might be wearing much less. Also initial amount of tread differs greatly. Some manufacturers would only put 6mm tread, while others put 9mm tread. Considering you might wear it down to 2mm, in first case you have only 4mm to wear, while in 9mm case, you have 7mm to wear (75% more, so tyre will last 75% longer).

6. Tyre size - generally if you use wider tyres, they will last longer - f.e. if car manufacturer allows 205 or 225 width, then if you decide for 225 width they will last longer.

I have extreme examples.
    1. Me driving very fast, fairly heavy fwd car, on very bendy, extremely rough surface country roads in West of Ireland, and I'm achieving no more than 10-12k km from a set of front tyres, with minimum being about 7-8k as far as I remember.

2. My dad, driving small light opel corsa, usually very slow and gentle, in Poland on smooth surface roads, a set of tyres can last him more than 80k km, so we are talking about around 8 times as far as mine.
    All makes sense. I would add that as soft compound tends to have better wet grip than a hard compound so if you want the best grip in the wet you should look for the tyre with the worst wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Jesus. wrote: »

It's kilometres

• Registered Users Posts: 32 njjj

I wouldn't be following mileage, i just check the condition of the tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

10k miles and tyres at the limit, 225/45/18, 185ps , diesel FWD, west of Ireland situation.....but not worried about going around wet corners, kuhmo tyres. Had nexens on wife's car for a while, they did not like wet corners, but wear well.....Any one with a good grip that might last a little longer than 10k and around the kumho price? Twice a year for tyres is expensive, but I do like my car.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

clogher71 wrote: »
    10k miles and tyres at the limit, 225/45/18, 185ps , diesel FWD, west of Ireland situation.....but not worried about going around wet corners, kuhmo tyres. Had nexens on wife's car for a while, they did not like wet corners, but wear well.....Any one with a good grip that might last a little longer than 10k and around the kumho price? Twice a year for tyres is expensive, but I do like my car.....

Nankang NS-20
    Might be even cheaper than Kumho. Grip on wet will be similar IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Conti sport contact 2/3/5's aren't renowned for wearing all that well tbh. 15k km in a heavy FWD (presumably diesel) car sounds normal enough.

Our Astra J came with 235/50/18 sport contact 5's from new. The original tyres done 60k on the front and the rears are still fitted with around 3mm left @ 75k. Worth noting the Astra J is not a light car.

Put 2 new sport contact 5's on the front in Feb. They've been a great performer for us but it does vary car to car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Our Astra J came with 235/50/18 sport contact 5's from new. The original tyres done 60k on the front and the rears are still fitted with around 3mm left @ 75k. Worth noting the Astra J is not a light car.

Put 2 new sport contact 5's on the front in Feb. They've been a great performer for us but it does vary car to car.

A lighter 120ps petrol won't have the same appetite for them tbh. I've had the three on FWD diesels with a little more poke and they don't suit that use imo. Something like Goodyear efficient grips were giving better performance and easily lasting 50% longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are too many varying factors involved to say how long a set of tyres should last. Brand of tyre, the type and power of the car they are fitted to, type of roads they are driven on and the behaviour of the driver. It's like asking how long is a piece of string. There simply is no set interval how long a set of tyres should last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

CiniO wrote: »
    Nankang NS-20
    Might be even cheaper than Kumho. Grip on wet will be similar IMO.

Will look into them....thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

I have about 47k miles on my Michelin Energy Saver+'s. They rears have plenty left on them but are slightly cracked so I'm just replacing them. Fronts about another 3 or 4.

Have been so impressed with them all round that I'll get getting another set on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Have the same Michelin Energy savers (16's) Currently done 16k miles, and not a whole pile more left in them. Rears have about 24k miles done and still fairly good.

Advertisement