Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Abbey90 wrote: »
    Thanks. Thought things would be moving a lot quicker than this

You'll definitely be called this year as I'd imagine a good few people will pull out of the recruitment process as it's dragging out too long. I have to date done the medical for the RPO and am also goin through the Garda recruitment aswell which is moving a lot faster. Initially I was 50/50 as to which job I really wanted but the longer this RPO process drags out the more I'm leaning towards the Guards. I know 2 other lads in my area that are in the same boat and we're all in the top 40 OOM. So that's more than likely at least 3 people gone already and surely there's more out there to go from the process too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Abbey90

Shane88 wrote: »
    You'll definitely be called this year as I'd imagine a good few people will pull out of the recruitment process as it's dragging out too long. I have to date done the medical for the RPO and am also goin through the Garda recruitment aswell which is moving a lot faster. Initially I was 50/50 as to which job I really wanted but the longer this RPO process drags out the more I'm leaning towards the Guards. I know 2 other lads in my area that are in the same boat and we're all in the top 40 OOM. So that's more than likely at least 3 people gone already and surely there's more out there to go from the process too.

Thanks for the information. It's hard waiting so long. Would love to get started soon. I'd imagine people will pull out. Even the day of interview there was a few people who had applied for guards also.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

I am in the same boat and im leaning towards the guards also so if your not called dont dispair yet it is a shambles really the way this campaign is being run.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Sorry if this answered already, Ive read back and cant see it. I just about passed Stage 1, at the end of my results it said "we/re calling the first 600 through first" - is everyone on here talking about medicals and physicals etc the top 600 still? Have many dropped out, failed etc

Think at this stage, I as good as failed...they'll never reach my number...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

User16 wrote: »
    Sorry if this answered already, Ive read back and cant see it. I just about passed Stage 1, at the end of my results it said "we/re calling the first 600 through first" - is everyone on here talking about medicals and physicals etc the top 600 still? Have many dropped out, failed etc

Think at this stage, I as good as failed...they'll never reach my number...:mad:

nope top 75

• Advertisement

top 78 taken from interview and top forty have medicals done

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

nope top 75

Huh??
    Nope what?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tommy61

I know of someone in the mid 30s in panel who got called for medical.If there is anyone higher up in panel who got called for it and wouldnt mind letting me know thanks.Just want to get idea of what number they have got to in panel.

I'm 47 years of age and 12 in oom and have done both the medical and audio gram.

Spoke to prison service this morning pct test are scheduled for end of feb to start of match for the first forty called in order if merit

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

Will somebody who has sat the medical or the audiogram pm me please?

Im interested to know about the process. Thanks

• Advertisement

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MistyFruit12

Any word as to when the next batch will be called for Medicals?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hello all. I'm a serving Officer in Dublin, in the job nearly a decade. If anyone has any questions about coming in to the job I'll be around today (that's Thursday February 2nd, not everyday and not when you feel like it :P) for a while and can answer a few Q's via PM within reason. I won't answer any from brand new accounts as that could be a bit sussy, I'm sure you can agree. Please appreciate that it's been years since I've done a medical or anything like that so what I went through is probably different to what you'll do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

The joys off the job and shows how long it will take to get new RPO's,

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

I hope at the end where it says 7000 applied and they are likely to get 80 new officers from this campaign is not true :O I'm quite a bit off the top 80 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

I'm sure it's more than 80 that will be taken in..just the top 78 are been considered first which isn't 80 but close enough.

I'm sure it's more than 80 that will be taken in..just the top 78 are been considered first which isn't 80 but close enough.

Let's bloody hope so :D

I think that might be 80 this year plus the pasos course which was sanctioned years ago. The original advertisement was 120 per year for the next 3 years so the 40 pasos and two classes from the boards this year? Anyone's guess, still waiting for notification of the fitness test which is supposed to be on end of this month?

Tommy61 wrote: »
    I think that might be 80 this year plus the pasos course which was sanctioned years ago. The original advertisement was 120 per year for the next 3 years so the 40 pasos and two classes from the boards this year? Anyone's guess, still waiting for notification of the fitness test which is supposed to be on end of this month?
    There are now only about 26/7 off those RPO/PASO's left and from what I have heard from this side there will be 3 classes off 25 this year so with the current PASO's that will be around 75 this year, I won't like to be waiting but then saying that I am guessing here but would think a lot in the top 100 may also be in for the garda and the airport posts so its hard to say just how far the will have to go to get the extra 50 with the PASO's.

• Advertisement

There are now only about 26/7 off those RPO/PASO's left and from what I have heard from this side there will be 3 classes off 25 this year so with the current PASO's that will be around 75 this year, I won't like to be waiting but then saying that I am guessing here but would think a lot in the top 100 may also be in for the garda and the airport posts so its hard to say just how far the will have to go to get the extra 50 with the PASO's.

I wouldn't mind the wait, but I'm "presuming" they didn't make the panel up to 150 for the fun of it, and will use up this panel before starting another campaign.

I was talking to a current serving PASO last week and he told me that he and some other PASOs will be coming onto the floor (i.e. Prison Officers rather than PASOs) soon, which goes with what Golf mad 6178 said. He said that there's an auxiliary training class set up for these PASOs making the transition that's gonna commence next month.

Training takes 9 weeks, and he said (him now, not me!) that the next batch of candidates will be starting immediately after that 9 week course is done. That class will be made up from the panel you guys are on. As an aside, new training staff have been assigned to the Training College in the last little while too so it all points to systems are go.

I know of good few who went for garda also on panel but don't know of any who went for airport posts but no doubt alot will drop out for other jobs.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I was talking to a current serving PASO last week and he told me that he and some other PASOs will be coming onto the floor (i.e. Prison Officers rather than PASOs) soon, which goes with what Golf mad 6178 said. He said that there's an auxiliary training class set up for these PASOs making the transition that's gonna commence next month.

Training takes 9 weeks, and he said (him now, not me!) that the next batch of candidates will be starting immediately after that 9 week course is done. That class will be made up from the panel you guys are on. As an aside, new training staff have been assigned to the Training College in the last little while too so it all points to systems are go.
    Omackeral, as I am 1 off the PASO's who can transfer across I can say most off what your saying is right, There are meant to be 25 new PASO's starting training today in the college but as off last Thursday IPS where still contacting people on the PASO panel to see if the could start today,
    The plan is for the first 25 of the PASO's crossing over is to start training on the 27th of March, with any if there are any RPO/PASO's left to start their training with the first batch off the new RPO's and then a 3rd class is planned for late September, which should see another group of 25 start, making it 75 all this year, before you ask how I know this I am part off a group that attends HR meetings and that why I have been able to post on here, I am guessing that the will also figure out who am I now so I am guessing I may not get asked to the next meeting:(

There are meant to be 25 new PASO's starting training today in the college but as off last Thursday IPS where still contacting people on the PASO panel to see if the could start today

Ha it's actually gas, some things never change. I got the shout to start training one random Friday evening. My start date was the Monday morning. So basically two days to wrap my stuff up! Luckily I had a very understanding boss who knew I was waiting on a call anyday but it's nuts that the likes of that goes on at the level!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ha it's actually gas, some things never change. I got the shout to start training one random Friday evening. My start date was the Monday morning. So basically two days to wrap my stuff up! Luckily I had a very understanding boss who knew I was waiting on a call anyday but it's nuts that the likes of that goes on at the level!
    Its just a pity the waste so much time as I am sure the are losing some good staff with the messing around that takes place, but for al on here hang in there and you will get to start at some stage,

I applied in 2006 and got called in 2008. Honestly nearly wrote it off to be honest and then got called. What I would say though is always have a Plan B and Plan C. A friend of mine had a Garda application in around the same time as me, as well as a Prison Service one. He declined the RPO position in the hopes of taking the Garda job. Well, he made the cut and got onto a panel but then the recession hit and that panel expired. He was left working a job he had zero interest in until getting called late last year, after doing a fully fresh campaign. Was pretty much a 10 year wait for the poor lad.

I guess the moral is, he got what he wanted in the end but you have to be prepared for other eventualities. I was blue in the face telling him to take the RPO position and transfer his service across if/when he got called for the Gardaí. He would've had nearly a decade of his tenure done. Anyway he held out for what he wanted and that went for him in his second interviews as it showed he had the drive to wait for and work for what he wanted. So it can work both ways. You'll get there, just have a back up just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Letters for physical issued yesterday. Physical will take place 8/3/17 in Portlaoise! Top candidates on RPO panel should start hopefully late April.

Ok so I have got some new info in relation to start dates,
    The still plan on the first group which will be all PASO cross overs starting on the 27th of March but it will now be a class of 20, The 2nd group which will be any remaining PACO cross overs a maybe 15 new RPO's will start training 5-6 weeks later, Again a class of 20,
    There will be 2 more classes off 20 1 in August the other the end of September, so that will be 80 including the PASO's so around 55 new recuits,
    But as with everything in IPS that could and will most likely all change again,

• Advertisement

Ok so I have got some new info in relation to start dates,
    The still plan on the first group which will be all PASO cross overs starting on the 27th of March but it will now be a class of 20, The 2nd group which will be any remaining PACO cross overs a maybe 15 new RPO's will start training 5-6 weeks later, Again a class of 20,
    There will be 2 more classes off 20 1 in August the other the end of September, so that will be 80 including the PASO's so around 55 new recuits,
    But as with everything in IPS that could and will most likely all change again,

Its strange that they wouldnt train all PASOs together in the one class.When campaign was launched Minister said up to 120 would be recruited so I thought it would be a figure much closer to 120 than 80 if that turns out to be how many people they train this year.
    Thanks for that info.

Advertisement