Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

Its strange that they wouldnt train all PASOs together in the one class.When campaign was launched Minister said up to 120 would be recruited so I thought it would be a figure much closer to 120 than 80 if that turns out to be how many people they train this year.
    Thanks for that info.

Once you start to work for IPS you will very soon find out that nothing is strange, the have to put all the PASO's in together as the will be senior to all new recuits and it was part off the argeement when we first joined that we would get to be the first new RPO's, but the training plan for the college say the are planning 4 classes off 20 between now and the end off this year,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

Once you start to work for IPS you will very soon find out that nothing is strange, the have to put all the PASO's in together as the will be senior to all new recuits and it was part off the argeement when we first joined that we would get to be the first new RPO's, but the training plan for the college say the are planning 4 classes off 20 between now and the end off this year,

But all pasos wont be together going on what you said.You heard that most pasos will train 27th March and the remainder will train with some from the panel 5 to 6 weeks later.

But all pasos wont be together going on what you said.You heard that most pasos will train 27th March and the remainder will train with some from the panel 5 to 6 weeks later.

As the are doing the class in groups of 20 we where never all going to be together just the same as when we trained to be PASO's, there where 2 classes with I think about 48 of us at the start, but a lot have quit with all the messing that there has been to get us to this point and 1 or 2 are no longer interested in becoming an RPO, which is why there are only about 25-27 left interested in transferring across, so the first class will be the more senior by pay number and the rest will then go in with the first off you guys, which leave us still more senior to new RPO's and as you will find out that is very important when your looking for leave.

Cool.The figure of 80 is what was mentioned in that news article I posted few days ago.I thought it might be 80 from panel plus pasos which would be 100 plus people but apparently not,80 in total.

Cool.The figure of 80 is what was mentioned in that news article I posted few days ago.I thought it might be 80 from panel plus pasos which would be 100 plus people but apparently not,80 in total.

It would have been great if that where the case as there are around 400 officers able to retire this year, not all have to go as the are not 60 but a lot will have their 30 years served so can go if the want to, so 80 new RPO's ain't really going to fill those spaces,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Tommy61

Ok, finally got notification today of PCT in Prison Service College Portlaoise on 8 March.

I got letter for medical today.First time I've ever got post on Valentines Day...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

I got letter for medical today.First time I've ever got post on Valentines Day...

Well done, hope it all works out for you.

brianp20 wrote: »
    Well done, hope it all works out for you.

Thanks.I have to complete it and send it back by 28th of this month so less time to do it than first group that were called for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DeccieDarcy

Out of curiosity. Where are you on oom.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity. Where are you on oom.

Im mid 50s but afaik 40 to 80 got letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hjghj

I'm in the 70s and got letter for medical today too - it is quite a short notice, to be honest only 2 weeks to have it done :/

Yeah first 40 got between four to five weeks to complete medical.Maybe it's a sign that they have now decided to speed things up and have brought forward class starting dates,although that's unlikely.
    Pct could be in March and assuming we pass all,we are ready to go.

It is far more like it that the are now finding it hard to get people to start,

When I rang IPS few weeks ago to find out when I could be called for medical I was told they didn't know and there was high response rate to first 40 that were called for meds..it wasn't long after interview results that they were notified of medical.
    I know of a few who done PO medical but are now choosing garda but as far as IPS are concerned they are still in their system.
    She did say though come time for pct and especially start date some would drop out and wouldnt even bother telling IPS they aren't turning up for their class.
    Either way good news next 40 were called for those that want job.

When I rang IPS few weeks ago to find out when I could be called for medical I was told they didn't know and there was high response rate to first 40 that were called for meds..it wasn't long after interview results that they were notified of medical.
    I know of a few who done PO medical but are now choosing garda but as far as IPS are concerned they are still in their system.
    She did say though come time for pct and especially start date some would drop out and wouldnt even bother telling IPS they aren't turning up for their class.
    Either way good news next 40 were called for those that want job.

That is the way it goes, its a pity people won't just say that the are no longer interested so IPS can contact the next in line and get them ready to go, It was the same when I started,

That is the way it goes, its a pity people won't just say that the are no longer interested so IPS can contact the next in line and get them ready to go, It was the same when I started,

I spoke to a prison officer who joined in 2006 I think I forget the year..he told me that so few of his class turned up they got paid for that week but were told to go home and join up with next class in a few weeks.Im sure that was common with alot of organisations at the height of the 'boom' with jobs everywhere.
    He told me that they were in such a hurry recruiting POs then he didnt have to do physical because his bmi was 'ok'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He told me that they were in such a hurry recruiting POs then he didnt have to do physical because his bmi was 'ok'.

I joined in 2008. Didn't do a physical. Never asked to do one. Did a couple of exercises after joining (maybe it was a box ticking exercise, excuse the pun) alright but never specifically did a physical from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DeccieDarcy

How many have gotten dates for the physical and how far down the oom are they? Im 20 and got no word yet.
    Also did anyone hear any more about the rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

Just wondering what kinda o0f money would we be coming out with in this job after tax i know everbody is different tax wise im just after a guide?

• Advertisement

Just wondering what kinda o0f money would we be coming out with in this job after tax i know everbody is different tax wise im just after a guide?
    That would not be easy to work out until you are in a prison and you get a AH band to work on, I know I did a break down on the wages before on this Thread so if you read back that will give an idea on how much you could earn again that will all depend on your AH band,

I would imagine with overtime especially the taxman gets a huge cut..I'd be afraid to know how much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tommy61

Hi
    Just a practical question for attending the PCT. Coming from the town centre, first you have Portlaoise then Midlands prison, is the next gate/entrance the college? The Dublin side of Midlands?
    Is the gate attended and is there a reception area to report to? Cheers in advance for any info, otherwise I'll have to take a recce trip prior to PCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

cheers yeah i kinda have it worked out im open to correction.....
    AH Bands 120-2415,240-4830,360-7245
    (year 1) 31,977+ah band 1,2or3 661.38/707.82/754.26 per week AH Dependant
    (year 2) 34,177+ah band 1,2or3 703.69/750.00/796.00 per week AH Dependant
    (year 3) 36,592+ah band 1,2or3 742.00/796.00/835.00 per week AH Dependant

Can somebody that is is the know correct me if im wrong it does'nt seem to be great money tax will be heavy and living in dublin is no joke? the fingers may be slightly out but i think this is the general flavour..

cheers yeah i kinda have it worked out im open to correction.....
    AH Bands 120-2415,240-4830,360-7245
    (year 1) 31,977+ah band 1,2or3 661.38/707.82/754.26 per week AH Dependant
    (year 2) 34,177+ah band 1,2or3 703.69/750.00/796.00 per week AH Dependant
    (year 3) 36,592+ah band 1,2or3 742.00/796.00/835.00 per week AH Dependant

Can somebody that is is the know correct me if im wrong it does'nt seem to be great money tax will be heavy and living in dublin is no joke? the fingers may be slightly out but i think this is the general flavour..

From April this year all public sector workers earning under 60,000 euro get extra 1000 euro so that can be added to your figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

How many have gotten dates for the physical and how far down the oom are they? Im 20 and got no word yet.
    Also did anyone hear any more about the rent allowance?

If your 20 and got no word there is an issue? Ring them. 1-40 were issued with medical letters 21/12/16 to be done by 23/1/17. 40-78 I believe got notification of medical on Valentine's with only two weeks to complete them. Rent allowance hopefully is going to be put into our salaries it will be pensionable. But not official yet.

Tommy61 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just a practical question for attending the PCT. Coming from the town centre, first you have Portlaoise then Midlands prison, is the next gate/entrance the college? The Dublin side of Midlands?
    Is the gate attended and is there a reception area to report to? Cheers in advance for any info, otherwise I'll have to take a recce trip prior to PCT.

That's exactly where it is. The three of them institutions are in a line, one after the other. There's a large electronic gate and it says IPS Training College at it, you won't miss it. The gates are usually open at entrance and exit times from what I recall but there is a speaker button connected to reception too. Reception building is right next to car park.

Additional hours. Three bands you could get assigned anyone of them. 120, 240, 360 hours must be completed yearly on top of your working week.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's exactly where it is. The three of them institutions are in a line, one after the other. There's a large electronic gate and it says IPS Training College at it, you won't miss it. The gates are usually open at entrance and exit times from what I recall but there is a speaker button connected to reception too. Reception building is right next to car park.
    Is it close to portlaoise train station?

• Advertisement

Additional hours. Three bands you could get assigned anyone of them. 120, 240, 360 hours must be completed yearly on top of your working week.

Basically, it means you make yourself available to work those hours on your rest days. For simplicity sake, the working year is divided into quarters. So if you're on the 360 band which most start on, you'll do 90 extra hours per quarter at the AH rate.

An AH day, or recall as it's known, is typically an 8-5 shift. You are required to nominate free days which you can work. You nominate 15 days in any given quarter. When you complete your 8 hour recall (1 Hour unpaid lunch) it comes off your 90 total. When you do your next one, it comes off your 82 total and so on. You won't have to work all 15 nominated days.

It seems complex but you get the swing of it really soon and there's notice boards up keeping track of your hours. You can also look to come down a band if the 360 is too much. As stated, there's the 240 band and the 112 band. There's also a 0 band. Whatever suits you.

Advertisement