Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

They were bound to lose alot with the lack of flow in this campaign it is a joke to be honest there is still no intake dates or anything i hate to see them trying to recruit the full compliment of 360

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

I didn't get it myself but know some who have. They are obviously struggling with numbers. That letter has reached people in the 140s plus.

I'm 140 plus and received it , does it actually mean we could be called for medical and fitness soon though ?

Id imagine so there will be a nice few that wont take it im 35 oom and ive a interview for gaurds so i will have a choice to make and id imagine there are a few in the same boat...

Id imagine so there will be a nice few that wont take it im 35 oom and ive a interview for gaurds so i will have a choice to make and id imagine there are a few in the same boat...

The guards arereally taking a hit on the numbers alright, not that I'm complaining ðŸ‘

which job is better is hard to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 movers&shakers

CorkColin wrote: »
    The guards arereally taking a hit on the numbers alright, not that I'm complaining ðŸ‘

Do you reckon those with a "decision to make" & have made it through the Garda stages are not favouring the Gardai ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

which job is better is hard to know

Garda has far more variety than PO.Pay wise id say PO is better with guaranteed OT.Not always guaranteed OT in garda especially outside Dublin.
    Degree with garda though gets you extra increments which is a big difference especially if you are in the job 30 years.
    Thats one thing that PO pointed out to me during recession he still had OT when garda had little or none.Assuming we are in job be it PO or garda next thirty years there will be more economic downturns.
    Rota with garda Id say is also more user friendly but thats guesswork on my part.
    The main thing though is that both are permanent and pensionable.

As you say hard to know,impossible to know unless you did both jobs.
    It depends on the individual,I know people who went for PO and wouldnt even consider applying for garda and vice versa.

*also with PO you know when you finish your shift whereas with garda could have to stay on longer and would disrupt any plans you would have made.
    You can also carpool with prison service so save on commuting costs.

Do you reckon those with a "decision to make" & have made it through the Garda stages are not favouring the Gardai ?

No no I reckon that quite a few that applied for the gaurds had the PO as a back up, same as i applied to the guards as a back up :)

i worked as a garda reserve for 6 years garda roster works on for 6 off for 4 days 10 hour shifts pay for both are very same with garda slightly better off after a few years service there basic pay is much better than the PO and they get plenty of allowances in the guards prob better promotion prospects and variety and you get a break from dealing with crime and things that comes with it not like prisons where you will do that all day everyday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

CorkColin wrote: »
    I'm 140 plus and received it , does it actually mean we could be called for medical and fitness soon though ?

Reasonably soon I'd imagine. Bare in mind top 78 I'd imagine will have to have started before you guys get a start date. Rumour has it first class could be March or April, then there will be a second class a number of weeks later. Then it's you guys who got notice today. I'd say you will definitely be in before end of year.

• Advertisement

Reasonably soon I'd imagine. Bare in mind top 78 I'd imagine will have to have started before you guys get a start date. Rumour has it first class could be March or April, then there will be a second class a number of weeks later. Then it's you guys who got notice today. I'd say you will definitely be in before end of year.[/QUO

I thought there was 35/36 paso going in in march then first of us 20 in may and then next 20 sept and so on no?

Reasonably soon I'd imagine. Bare in mind top 78 I'd imagine will have to have started before you guys get a start date. Rumour has it first class could be March or April, then there will be a second class a number of weeks later. Then it's you guys who got notice today. I'd say you will definitely be in before end of year.[/QUO

I thought there was 35/36 paso going in in march then first of us 20 in may and then next 20 sept and so on no?

Paso's start March 20th now from a reliable source. Top 40 of us or so will start approximately five weeks later so late April. Then the next batch up to 78 probably sometime in June. Then the others who got notified today early Autumn I'd imagine. That would make 120 or so this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jay days

Well lads,just wondering out of interest, did they go past the first 600 out of the initial applicants??

jay days wrote: »
    Well lads,just wondering out of interest, did they go past the first 600 out of the initial applicants??

No they havent gone past the first 600.

No mate... After interviews we all got a panel place. Up to 150 on the panel have now been notified maybe more but not much more than that.

No mate... After interviews we all got a panel place. Up to 150 on the panel have now been notified maybe more but not much more than that.

Probably fair to say they wont be going past the 600 mark then for this campaign??

Probably fair to say they wont be going past the 600 mark then for this campaign??

Did you pass the actual interview? If you did. The panel lasts two years I believe. They want to recruit 120 each year for three years. So 360 allowing for drop outs, failures etc. Even then they wouldn't reach 600.
    But if you mean you only passed aptitudes and are ranked in the 600s then no they won't be pulling that far down mate.

Did you pass the actual interview? If you did. The panel lasts two years I believe. They want to recruit 120 each year for three years. So 360 allowing for drop outs, failures etc. Even then they wouldn't reach 600.
    But if you mean you only passed aptitudes and are ranked in the 600s then no they won't be pulling that far down mate.
    No worries, just done interview for gards so fingers crossed for that one! Would have been interested in being a PO too though but just didnt place high enough.Best of luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

For anyone waiting on info, I was told today by someone who would know, that they intend to train 100 this year, with 200 next year and 200 the year after. I also heard, from a less reliable source that 900 staff will be eligible for retirement from September of this year!

Can anybody confirm an earlier post that the first 40 will go in together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

pay for both are very same with garda slightly better off after a few years service there basic pay is much better than the PO

Possibly the case now (i doubt it however) but certainly didnt use to be ....

Irish Prison officers Pay

Garda Pay

Prison Officers top Public Pay Scale

PO on 62k after 12 years
    Garda on €46k after 19 years

Granted links not fully up to date but i wouldn't imagine Garda have had pay increased by almost 20k p.a....

All this obviously open to correction. If anyone has any relevant information it would be interesting to compare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Salmon wrote: »
    For anyone waiting on info, I was told today by someone who would know, that they intend to train 100 this year, with 200 next year and 200 the year after. I also heard, from a less reliable source that 900 staff will be eligible for retirement from September of this year!

220 is the plan for next year is what I was told

Can anybody confirm an earlier post that the first 40 will go in together?

The first 40 or so are at physical stage. I'm not sure what class capacity is but it would seem unfair to delay the latter half of the 40 when we are all at the same stage of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Anyone know if you were called to start training would it be possible to defer your place until the next class starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Shane88 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you were called to start training would it be possible to defer your place until the next class starts?

doubt it tbh as they want people who have been called to class to start. Whats the point of recruiting the class as one, getting medicals and all done then going oh you want to wait a while?

I got in touch with IPS recently and I was told that its not 100% but it could be late May when we have the PCT for those of us who have to complete medical by 28th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Shane88 wrote: »

Yes you can defer.

The first 40 or so are at physical stage. I'm not sure what class capacity is but it would seem unfair to delay the latter half of the 40 when we are all at the same stage of the process.
    yes but we all have an order of merit for that reason and i read an ealier post i think from golf mad saying that there would only be 20 going in at a time. On the flip side of the coin who knowsw how far into that forty there going to have to go to get the first 20......

doubt it tbh as they want people who have been called to class to start. Whats the point of recruiting the class as one, getting medicals and all done then going oh you want to wait a while?

So you don't know then

• Advertisement

Yes you can defer.

Thanks for that

Advertisement