Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 splarutd

Hi everyone

I just got this message via public jobs last week. Does anyone have any idea when we will be called for a medical /physical or have any idea when we could be actually called up to start the job. The communication from PAS is very vague to say the least. Also just browsing through the forum here would I be correct in saying that provided new recruits get the 360 hours overtime the first year pay Would be circa 40 k. Thanks guys/ girls

Further to your application for the Recruit Prison Officer, I am pleased to inform you that you are among the group of candidates whose details have now been forwarded to the Irish Prison Service for further consideration.

Currently the initial group of candidates sent forward are undergoing the required checks e.g. references, qualifications, clearance, medicals and physicals. As you will appreciate this part of the selection process can take some time to carry out in particular, the security clearance. The Irish Prison Service will contact you at the appropriate time. Please note being sent to the IPS for clearance is not a guarantee of appointment to a position.

If you have any queries relating to this next stage of the selection process, you should contact the Irish Prison Service directly.

The admission of a person to the competition, or invitation to undertake any element of the selection process is not to be taken as implying that the Public Appointments Service or the Irish Prison Service is satisfied that such a person fulfils the essential requirements.

Yours sincerely
    Julie Hoey
    Recruit Prison Officer Unit

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

splarutd wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I just got this message via public jobs last week. Does anyone have any idea when we will be called for a medical /physical or have any idea when we could be actually called up to start the job. The communication from PAS is very vague to say the least. Also just browsing through the forum here would I be correct in saying that provided new recruits get the 360 hours overtime the first year pay Would be circa 40 k. Thanks guys/ girls

Further to your application for the Recruit Prison Officer, I am pleased to inform you that you are among the group of candidates whose details have now been forwarded to the Irish Prison Service for further consideration.

Currently the initial group of candidates sent forward are undergoing the required checks e.g. references, qualifications, clearance, medicals and physicals. As you will appreciate this part of the selection process can take some time to carry out in particular, the security clearance. The Irish Prison Service will contact you at the appropriate time. Please note being sent to the IPS for clearance is not a guarantee of appointment to a position.

If you have any queries relating to this next stage of the selection process, you should contact the Irish Prison Service directly.

The admission of a person to the competition, or invitation to undertake any element of the selection process is not to be taken as implying that the Public Appointments Service or the Irish Prison Service is satisfied that such a person fulfils the essential requirements.

Yours sincerely
    Julie Hoey
    Recruit Prison Officer Unit
    I would be keeping an eye on the post box every day from here on out because the last batch of candidates received the call for their medicals on the 14th of February and had until the 28th of February to complete them.

Out of interest where abouts did you place, not exact number but ball park? I got that message last week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 splarutd

Yeah I came mid 120s. Yourself ?

splarutd wrote: »
    Yeah I came mid 120s. Yourself ?
    I came in the 130's. Im just interested to see how high these numbers go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Harambe1 wrote: »

I know someone in the 140s

• Advertisement

Cloverhill Governor gets assaulted. I wonder will this spark a review of the safety aspect of the role.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/635315/gardai-investigating-after-cloverhill-prison-governor-ronan-maher-was-attacked-by-vicious-inmate/

I know someone in the 140s
    Thanks Harry. Thats seems to be the cut off point going by this anyway. I have heard no mention of anyone with a higher number who passed the interview.

Thanks Harry. Thats seems to be the cut off point going by this anyway. I have heard no mention of anyone with a higher number who passed the interview.

We say then 150 passed the interview. With all of them having gotten notified. They will have to open a new competition next year then for more staff. If they have already exhausted this panel which seems to be the case.

We say then 150 passed the interview. With all of them having gotten notified. They will have to open a new competition next year then for more staff. If they have already exhausted this panel which seems to be the case.
    So the top 600 from the online tests were called for the sit down tests and the ones who met the minimum standard from those were called for interview.

I wonder how many in total were called for interviews and how many showed up. If 150 passed I wonder how many if any at all failed. As for the Governor of Cloverhill being assaulted I have to say that if I was afraid of getting a slap or two I would not be so willing to get involved in this job. Whilst its not right or is it a nice thing the idea of potential threats of violence are usually more frightening than the acts themselves. To any candidates struggling with that side of the role I suggest you look into taking up a martial art for confidence surrounding your fear. Ive been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a few months now and its increased my confidence in that area ten fold. The mind is a powerful tool and its where fears are both constructed and also managed constructively.

So the top 600 from the online tests were called for the sit down tests and the ones who met the minimum standard from those were called for interview.

I wonder how many in total were called for interviews and how many showed up. If 150 passed I wonder how many if any at all failed. As for the Governor of Cloverhill being assaulted I have to say that if I was afraid of getting a slap or two I would not be so willing to get involved in this job. Whilst its not right or is it a nice thing the idea of potential threats of violence are usually more frightening than the acts themselves. To any candidates struggling with that side of the role I suggest you look into taking up a martial art for confidence surrounding your fear. Ive been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a few months now and its increased my confidence in that area ten fold. The mind is a powerful tool and its where fears are both constructed and also managed constructively.

You generally have about a 1 in 3 chance at interview. I'd say 400 or so were interviewed. But it's all speculation. There are no real penalties in place currently for assaulting staff until there is attacks will continue. Unfortunately someone will have to be killed before they really tackle it. I've done martial arts all my life mate. But if you don't have concerns about this job something is amiss... All staff should be armed and be wearing vests. The argument of well your baton can be used against you is nonsense. How many Gardai have had their weapons used against them? Never happens. I'd rather tackle an inmate yielding a shank with a baton than my hands! The system won't change until it's forced too. Let's hope none of us become a victim but the stats are against us.

• Advertisement

You generally have about a 1 in 3 chance at interview. I'd say 400 or so were interviewed. But it's all speculation. There are no real penalties in place currently for assaulting staff until there is attacks will continue. Unfortunately someone will have to be killed before they really tackle it. I've done martial arts all my life mate. But if you don't have concerns about this job something is amiss... All staff should be armed and be wearing vests. The argument of well your baton can be used against you is nonsense. How many Gardai have had their weapons used against them? Never happens. I'd rather tackle an inmate yielding a shank with a baton than my hands! The system won't change until it's forced too. Let's hope none of us become a victim but the stats are against us.
    I read articles like this every few weeks

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/850662/

Also the Journal had an article which showed stats of 3% of prison officers being assaulted in their job in 2015. Ive read a lot of books and discovered people who have been inflicted with life changing injuries as a result of being attacked at work as a prison officer. Whilst I do have concerns I have to manage the fear surrounding these concerns effectively. I believe in the book Inside Man written by a retired prison officer from Limerick called Philip he also said it would take a P.O to get killed before any real changed happened in regards to the safety of prison officers to be properly addressed by the state. I would want to be working with people who had my back and them to know that I had theirs. The real danger of working a monotonous environment is the false sense of security that it may breed. If I do get to the prison landings I will always be aware that danger could be lurking around every corner. Its only a job at the end of the day and I would like to go home in one piece at the end of my shift every day for the guts of 30 years. I agree with your comments surrounding personal protective equipment and batons. But having not seen the inside of a prison with my own eyes I would like to see it before fully figuring out what course of action may or may not be best fot the future of the irish prison service. Sadly at the end of the day those kind of decisions are made by academics and not prison officers and are diluted by consideration for human rights as opposed to the safety of staff. People who will never walk the corridors or landings on a prison shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

I spoke to a serving po recently and he told me that he reckoned the Gardaí have a tougher job because they don't know what's coming at them whereas a po is in a controlled environment.

I asked him about the threat of violence, he's in the service along time so he was pretty nonchalant about it, he said don't worry about it, if something kicks off you'll have plenty of po's in behind you to back you up. He also told me he loves his job, I can't really get my head around that one but there you go. That's just one man's view on things.

No doubt it's a tough environment and you'd be an idiot not to have some reservations coming into the job but the drop out rate is pretty low so maybe that tells you it's worth it.

Some very good points lads. I read that book another excellent book is "Screwed" read it. Drop out rate is low for sure. Some people are cut out for it others aren't it's one of those jobs you have to try to really know. I'm going in with my eyes wide open. I personally believe I'd be excellent at the job I'm more concerned with my own reaction to threat and or violence. And perhaps more importantly even justifiably defending yourself can land you in trouble, they are my main concerns. The real test with this job is your cerebral physique how strong is it. You have got to learn to segregate the crap from your personal life. Being a prison officer will test every area of your life make no mistake.

I don't believe a Garda is tougher. An assault on a Garda carries severe penalties. They are very cushioned in ways Gardai. As a prison officer you are stuck with the criminals even after them attacking you. The law offers no protection for prison officers it actually offers more for the inmates. That has got to change but only when something drastic really happens it will. Your environment never changes either as a prison officer it's a grim setting. There is great variance with a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Not just physical attacks lad, TB is a threat too, stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

I spoke to one PO recently who was 30 when he joined and he told me he enjoys the job.He said there is alot of negativity in the job,some officers constantly giving out about the job.They are still there though year after year.In his opinion,some officers don't appreciate the job security,for example,as much as he would because unlike him they joined straight from school and so PO was their first job.
    Also for every extra hour he works he gets paid for it whereas he didn't in private sector.
    It's the same with me,last week I had to stay back few evenings,a total of 7 hours and didnt get a cent extra for it.My job could be gone in the morning and if it was I'd only get a weeks notice as was the case with some of my colleagues last year because we get paid weekly they only got a weeks notice.I was also made redundant before so any tough days I have as PO and no doubt there will be plenty I'm going to use the latter as motivation to get me through.
    PO will be my toughest job but as of now I'm looking forward to the challenge assuming I pass remaining stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

so is everybody confident about the pct?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tommy61

so is everybody confident about the pct?

Should be grand

i rang them up today to check the time i lost the letter and the girl told me that no start dates have been finalised and no garda clearance has come back either she said she was going to have to start chasing that up

I only had two weeks for my medical and was told by IPS late May for my physical which doesn't make sense,could have given us longer time to do medical if that's the case like the first 40.
    Just shows hard to know where we stand.

In fairness we only got a few days extra really. Received the letter in the last pre Xmas post and had to have it in by the 23rd but most weren't back to work until 4 Jan so we got 18-19 days. Regardless I think a lot of the dates are dictated by the availability of key resources and /or personnel which then limits them to certain dates. It's a common enough problem in the public service. You really need an ability to "filter" all the BS out in the Public service.

• Advertisement

I was just disappointed as I thought my physical would be sooner but it may end up sooner yet.
    If my garda clearance was to come back soon I could be called for physical quicker that way,time will tell!

I was just disappointed as I thought my physical would be sooner but it may end up sooner yet.
    If my garda clearance was to come back soon I could be called for physical quicker that way,time will tell!

Just because some girl on the phone said May doesn't make it so, She's just sharing the information she has but these things can change very quickly. I understand the uncertainty and waiting is difficult for people depending on their particular situation, I'm lucky that I'm not under any pressure but I would still like a bit of certainty in the bits of information we are being drip fed.

We might getm a clearer picture on then 8th of march

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

brianp20 wrote: »
    I spoke to a serving po recently and he told me that he reckoned the Gardaí have a tougher job because they don't know what's coming at them whereas a po is in a controlled environment.

Works both ways really. My best mate is a serving Garda and I'd say to him "jeez, I dunno how you do that job, they've everywhere they could run to, they could just take a shot at you and get away so easily" whereas he goes "I don't know how you do your job, you're literally locked in with society's worst and you've nowhere to escape to".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Tommy61 wrote: »
    Should be grand

Just reading the Aerobic test.

Does it involve actually running backwards, or does it mean run a shuttle, change direction and run back.

Just reading the Aerobic test.

Does it involve actually running backwards, or does it mean run a shuttle, change direction and run back.

You turn back on yourself. We've only 5 seconds per shuttle if we were to actually run backwards we would need another couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DooGi3

Sorry for hijacking thread but was told before Christmas I made it through bla bla but haven't heard anything since November which just said I would hear back early 2017 for interview. I'm 299 in merit position. Does any of you actually know how many they interviewed and went through. Just wondering did they forget me or make a mistake with me lol

DooGi3 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking thread but was told before Christmas I made it through bla bla but haven't heard anything since November which just said I would hear back early 2017 for interview. I'm 299 in merit position. Does any of you actually know how many they interviewed and went through. Just wondering did they forget me or make a mistake with me lol

Well if your 299 and passed interview that's way more passed than we thought. They are down as far as the top 80 we have all done medical, physical next week for top 40. Up to 150 have been notified that they will start their process reasonably soon. You definitely won't be called this year but quite possibly next year.

lads can anybody putup what we have t dfo for the medical i seem to have lost the letter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Well if your 299 and passed interview that's way more passed than we thought. They are down as far as the top 80 we have all done medical, physical next week for top 40. Up to 150 have been notified that they will start their process reasonably soon. You definitely won't be called this year but quite possibly next year.

220 are being taken next year, 140 this year i believe if thats the 360 number being banded about, the same panel will live on for over a year

Advertisement