Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lads can anybody putup what we have t dfo for the medical i seem to have lost the letter..

From memory,you need to get an eye test anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DooGi3

Thanks lads. Yeah I got email saying I made it through to interview stages but have yet to be called for one. Being 299 I'll probably be called next year or that if it's only the first 150 they went through this year. Sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

DooGi3 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Yeah I got email saying I made it through to interview stages but have yet to be called for one. Being 299 I'll probably be called next year or that if it's only the first 150 they went through this year. Sound

You should have been called for interview last year with an oom of 299.I assume you passed stage 2 the assessment centre so you should definitely have been called for stage 3.
    150 were successful at interview stage but at least double that were interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tommy61

Hey Guys/Gals
    Just a question perhaps for serving PO. Is there any consideration/choice given to a new RPO'S as to where in Dublin they get placed?
    For example I live in the West and would prefer if possible to go to Dublin West campus? It would ease my commute. Is this something that they would consider?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tommy61 wrote: »
    Hey Guys/Gals
    Just a question perhaps for serving PO. Is there any consideration/choice given to a new RPO'S as to where in Dublin they get placed?
    For example I live in the West and would prefer if possible to go to Dublin West campus? It would ease my commute. Is this something that they would consider?

Chances are if you are going to a dublin prison then you will end up in the Dublin west campus.

• Advertisement

Tommy61 wrote: »
    Hey Guys/Gals

Here's what happened when I was an RPO. We were given a form with three choices on it. Cloverhill, Wheatfield and Mountjoy. You marked your preference in order of 1,2,3. It was done on seniority i.e. your pay number. So even though you all started at the exact same time in training, the luck of the draw (or perhaps order of merit?) becomes a factor.

There's nothing stopping you putting in a transfer request on your first day.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's what happened when I was an RPO. We were given a form with three choices on it. Cloverhill, Wheatfield and Mountjoy. You marked your preference in order of 1,2,3. It was done on seniority i.e. your pay number. So even though you all started at the exact same time in training, the luck of the draw (or perhaps order of merit?) becomes a factor.

There's nothing stopping you putting in a transfer request on your first day.

Cheers
    That's grand, as long as I got Dublin West I'd be happy enough

Schedule for Recruit Prison Officer Training
    Semester 1 of the Higher Certificate in Custodial Care will commence on the following dates, for successful applicants from the most recent Recruit Prison Officer recruitment campaign (which closed on 28th July 2016):
    · Class 02/2017: 24 April 2017 to 14 July 2017;
    · Class 03/2017: 28 August 2017 to 17 November 2017;
    · Class 04/2017: 11 September 2017 to 01 December 2017.
    Successful applicants should note:
    · These dates are provisional.
    · Entry onto this programme is dependent on security clearance.

Above is from Irish Prison Service website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DooGi3

You should have been called for interview last year with an oom of 299.I assume you passed stage 2 the assessment centre so you should definitely have been called for stage 3.
    150 were successful at interview stage but at least double that were interviewed.

Weird one? I emailed them and they just said no updates as of yet I will be emailed when they know more? Any reason why they might have skipped me or you certain they interviewed upto 300? Me being 299 maybe they didn't even interview that amount?

DooGi3 wrote: »
    Weird one? I emailed them and they just said no updates as of yet I will be emailed when they know more? Any reason why they might have skipped me or you certain they interviewed upto 300? Me being 299 maybe they didn't even interview that amount?

It could be an error by the PAS.I dont know how many they interviewed but anyone that passed stage 2 should have been invited to stage 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Schedule for Recruit Prison Officer Training
    Semester 1 of the Higher Certificate in Custodial Care will commence on the following dates, for successful applicants from the most recent Recruit Prison Officer recruitment campaign (which closed on 28th July 2016):
    · Class 02/2017: 24 April 2017 to 14 July 2017;
    · Class 03/2017: 28 August 2017 to 17 November 2017;
    · Class 04/2017: 11 September 2017 to 01 December 2017.
    Successful applicants should note:
    · These dates are provisional.
    · Entry onto this programme is dependent on security clearance.

Above is from Irish Prison Service website.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Here is the link from IPS website for start dates for RPOs!

http://www.irishprisons.ie/index.php/prison-support-units/irish-prison-service-college/

If those provisional dates are confirmed those in the top 40 who have passed all stages and are still interested will start April 24th.
    My oom is mid 50s and I still have physical to do so August 28th start for me.
    I could still be called for pct this month but that's unlikely unless there is a good few people who don't turn up on the 8th for their PCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

I would imagine that the first 20/22 will start in April and another 22 in august and so on am I wrong ?

I think whatever number is still interested out of the top 40 they will go ahead with in April which could be 20 once you also consider people who will fail medical,physical,defer their place till next class.If the number out of top 40 that they are left with is too low they could call 41 - 50 for example for pct at short notice.
    When I got letter for medical I think it mentioned you could get short notice for pct.
    One or two here in top 40 mentioned they were more interested in garda so they will have to defer till next class I assume because they wont get days off for interview,medical,pct whilst in Portlaoise.

I think whatever number is still interested out of the top 40 they will go ahead with in April which could be 20 once you also consider people who will fail medical,physical,defer their place till next class.If the number out of top 40 that they are left with is too low they could call 41 - 50 for example for pct at short notice.
    When I got letter for medical I think it mentioned you could get short notice for pct.
    One or two here in top 40 mentioned they were more interested in garda so they will have to defer till next class I assume because they wont get days off for interview,medical,pct whilst in Portlaoise.

I dunno I would of thought they will get 30-35 out of the first 40 I did those 40 shuttle runs today in 3 mins 30 seconds I hope it's indoors I did it on a running track thought I was fit but was blowing out of my hole after them 😂

They could get 30-35 it's just guesswork on my part.
    Yeah the shuttle runs are tough going only 5 seconds per shuttle.The pct does takes place indoors so I would say it'd be easier on that type of ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Did you pass the actual interview? If you did. The panel lasts two years I believe. They want to recruit 120 each year for three years. So 360 allowing for drop outs, failures etc. Even then they wouldn't reach 600.
    But if you mean you only passed aptitudes and are ranked in the 600s then no they won't be pulling that far down mate.

Don't bet against it... The drop-out rate at the last hurdles can be huge. They really don't know until the classes start but in my experience 600 would still be in with a fairly decent shout.
    Shane88 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you were called to start training would it be possible to defer your place until the next class starts?

Yes you can defer but be aware that you won't get your Pay number until the day you start.
    The implications of this are in seniority within the prisons and especially with regards to transfers. If you're from say Cork, Limerick or the Midlands and looking to get back there the waiting time is already fairly long. A 3 month deferral could very easily mean years added to your wait on the transfer lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Another commuting question: If you had an extra long shift for some reason, or a bad day, is there a facility where you can take a quick 40 winks before setting off on a long drive back home.

percy212 wrote: »
    Another commuting question: If you had an extra long shift for some reason, or a bad day, is there a facility where you can take a quick 40 winks before setting off on a long drive back home.

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 arbo8

Hi. I have got the letter on 14th of February with the medical. I've done both GP and hearing tests. Just wondering if I'm going to get message back from the CMO Office that they have received both of my medical reports? And when they gonna notify people about the physical tests? I'm 53rd on the list.

You wont hear unless you enquire you can ring the office of cmo to see if they have sent you on to prison service and you can then ring the prison service in longford the girl in hr is very helpful she will tell you if the cmo has declared you fit, if your doctor wrote favourably on you you will be fine but it can take a few weeks to go from one desk to another and then it has to go to longford if you are patient unlike me however you can just wait and the prison service will write to you in due course good luck

arbo8 wrote: »
    Hi. I have got the letter on 14th of February with the medical. I've done both GP and hearing tests. Just wondering if I'm going to get message back from the CMO Office that they have received both of my medical reports? And when they gonna notify people about the physical tests? I'm 53rd on the list.

I'm not far off you in OOM.
    I actually got a call from CMO just to clarify something on my medical form and I was told that I was passed fit to do physical.
    I was told by IPS late May for physical although that's not definite.
    We should be in second class which has a provisional start date of August 28th so physical could even be in June.

I am number 35 and im kind thinking i will be in august but i hope your right new to this.

I am number 35 and im kind thinking i will be in august but i hope your right new to this.

I'll suss out the numbers at PCT on Wednesday and let you know.

Im going wednesday the first 40 will be there

Im going wednesday the first 40 will be there

See you there so

Good luck to everyone doing the pct tomorrow,if you can let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Just received an email from the POA regarding rent allowance. This was their reply.

"I spoke to Paul about this. He said subject is currently under discussion and there will be no definitive outcome for a while yet.

He said you’d best contact the Irish Prison Service directly for more information".

It's a disgrace we probably won't have an answer on this before starting! I spoke with the POA in January and he said it would definitely be in by the time the Paso's start! It appears the goal posts have changed.

• Advertisement

Start of the excuses for tomorrow lol. Haven't got so much as a cold in three years and now I've a f-:;&n chest infection! It'll make the 210 seconds a little more painful but sure what can you do.

Advertisement