Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

oh no look suffer it 5 mins or so and the hardest part should be over

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tommy61

oh no look suffer it 5 mins or so and the hardest part should be over

That's the plan, If I have to puke I'll run away from ye lol. Just raging as I haven't had so much as a headache in years. Sod's law.

did you email IPs about the rent allowance/ Also is the college easy get to ?

did you email IPs about the rent allowance/ Also is the college easy get to ?

If you are coming from the town centre out the Dublin road the first gate/ complex is Portlaoise prison, the next is Midlands prison then you have the college, apparently there's a sign outside the college, If you're coming from Dublin it will be the first gate obviously.
    I haven't contacted IPS at all about any matter.

what time are you on at?

• Advertisement

what time are you on at?

same as you can carry me through the running ha

same as you can carry me through the running ha

I can barely breathe bud it's you that will have to do the carrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

PCT done n dusted! Delighted. 16 in my group 9 guys 7 girls. 4 girls failed they have to repeat all tests again down the line not just the ones you fail. There are spaces for April 24th but it's subject to vetting coming back in time. If not August is when we will start that is utter madness, candidates will begin to lose faith. The sprint test was first today, followed by bench press, then the seated row, then the grip, then the run with extinguishers, then shield hold, and finally the 40 shuttles. Be prepared folks. Its a long day. Hunger sets in so stay hydrated and snack regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

PCT done n dusted! Delighted. 16 in my group 9 guys 7 girls. 4 girls failed they have to repeat all tests again down the line not just the ones you fail. There are spaces for April 24th but it's subject to vetting coming back in time. If not August is when we will start that is utter madness, candidates will begin to lose faith. The sprint test was first today, followed by bench press, then the seated row, then the grip, then the run with extinguishers, then shield hold, and finally the 40 shuttles. Be prepared folks. Its a long day. Hunger sets in so stay hydrated and snack regularly.

Well done on passing!were you in the first group?
    The way its going 41 plus in oom will be lucky to start this year.
    Did you hear if pacos are still starting this month?

• Advertisement

I asked the Minister for Justice a PQ regarding rent allowance this is her reply.

I am informed by the Irish Prison Service that discussions are currently ongoing between the Irish Prison Service and the Prison Officers' Association on the productivity/reform measures required for the reinstatement of the rent allowance to new Recruit Prison Officers. Once finalised, these will be submitted to the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, which is the sanctioning authority for such payments.

Well done on passing!were you in the first group?
    The way its going 41 plus in oom will be lucky to start this year.
    Did you hear if pacos are still starting this month?

Paso's are starting yes. I got the impression Paso's will also be in the April 24th class and a few of us new recruits will jump in if vetting is done by then, order if merit and your age will determine who gets first choice, age because of pension, older candidates I hear may well take precedence but nothing definite. If I'm August then you may well not start this year. Candidates will drop out if this drags on much more. There should be some way to speed up the vetting. Yes I was first group.

Paso's are starting yes. I got the impression Paso's will also be in the April 24th class and a few of us new recruits will jump in if vetting is done by then, order if merit and your age will determine who gets first choice, age because of pension, older candidates I hear may well take precedence but nothing definite. If I'm August then you may well not start this year. Candidates will drop out if this drags on much more. There should be some way to speed up the vetting. Yes I was first group.

Assuming there was similar number in second group about 32/40 were there for pct today.
    After August there is only one class in September.Im mid 50s and will be lucky to make the last class.Why did IPS bother contacting 80 to 150 recently..unless August and September will be big intakes which is unlikely as March and April wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Katie xxxxxx

I was one of the girls who failed so devastated really am ......congratulations to you for passing
    I asked the Minister for Justice a PQ regarding rent allowance this is her reply.

I am informed by the Irish Prison Service that discussions are currently ongoing between the Irish Prison Service and the Prison Officers' Association on the productivity/reform measures required for the reinstatement of the rent allowance to new Recruit Prison Officers. Once finalised, these will be submitted to the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, which is the sanctioning authority for such payments.

I was one of the girls who failed so devastated really am ......congratulations to you for passing

Sorry to hear you didnt pass Katie but not to worry,you will pass next time.

Katie, the plus is you know exactly what you need to work on now, soldier on, your still in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Sorry to hear that Katie. It sounds like a tough test. Do you have to do it again before joining a class intake?

There were 16 in the second group, supposed to start at 11:30 but didn't until 12:40.
    14 lads and 4 girls, think 1 lad and 2 girls failed. Well done to those who were successful and hopefully those who didn't will come back again and pass it.
    There were at least two of the attendees today who were asked very short notice to attend today so that would suggest a number of no shows.

Tommy61 wrote: »
    There were 16 in the second group, supposed to start at 11:30 but didn't until 12:40.
    14 lads and 4 girls, think 1 lad and 2 girls failed. Well done to those who were successful and hopefully those who didn't will come back again and pass it.
    There were at least two of the attendees today who were asked very short notice to attend today so that would suggest a number of no shows.
    So 32 in total tested today, 7 failed. That leaves 25 in the running for April's class..

So many variables, we were told the classes would be filled on an as security cleared basis but that would nullify the oom, today is the first I've heard of age being taken into account? Either way I'm not holding my breath plus there is a familiarisation day to attend yet as well.

• Advertisement

So many variables, we were told the classes would be filled on an as security cleared basis but that would nullify the oom, today is the first I've heard of age being taken into account? Either way I'm not holding my breath plus there is a familiarisation day to attend yet as well.

I spoke with a 47 year old today he apparently was told his age might mean he gets preference for April! Surely they can't nullify oom that would be shocking!! Do we just sit and wait for what now??

I can see someone joining ahead of someone with a lower oom if his/her security clearance is back quicker,it happens with garda recruitment but I doubt age would be a factor,he may have heard that wrong.

47, woo hoo so there is someone older than me! Can't see age being taken into account because if the oldest guy is say 40 in oom that would suggest he would be in the first class and then "senior" to 27 in oom who would be in the next class. You are assigned your service number in training this determines your seniority going forward. Believe me the age thing would suit me but it's not best practice, it's my choice to apply at my age so no one else should suffer as a result.

I can see someone joining ahead of someone with a lower oom if his/her security clearance is back quicker,it happens with garda recruitment but I doubt age would be a factor,he may have heard that wrong.

Me being number three I'm not sure how I'd react if someone far lower down than me jumps me because his vetting was done first. How is that my issue?

47, woo hoo so there is someone older than me! Can't see age being taken into account because if the oldest guy is say 40 in oom that would suggest he would be in the first class and then "senior" to 27 in oom who would be in the next class. You are assigned your service number in training this determines your seniority going forward. Believe me the age thing would suit me but it's not best practice, it's my choice to apply at my age so no one else should suffer as a result.

Equally your vetting being quicker than mine is not my problem why should I suffer?

The oom was established on the interviews whether this will have anything to do with your seniority going forward I don't know. It could be placings based on performance and/or continuous assessment during training will decide your seniority within IPS and that the oom as it is now was just to bracket us into classes?

The oom was established on the interviews whether this will have anything to do with your seniority going forward I don't know. It could be placings based on performance and/or continuous assessment during training will decide your seniority within IPS and that the oom as it is now was just to bracket us into classes?

There is no reason in the world why my vetting would take time. I've hardly any relatives and only four addresses. IPS should be putting major pressure on vetting currently. Bare in mind we all need to provide notice to current employers. Plus an offer of employment must issue. April will be a miracle if vetting is as slow as we are hearing. I was under the assumption vetting started in December. There is only 78 of us!!

Bear in mind that vetting is the responsibility of An Garda Siochana and they are also currently recruiting as are the DF to the sum of 900! There will be more than one desk vetting but I would assume if any sense was being used that different organisations would be prioritised according to urgency of time line? Plus the numbers involved in IPS are relatively small, I mean how hard can it be to vet the first 40?
    Could simply be down to the IPS relationship with the Gardai or whether the Gardai are just looking after themselves first? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way we are called forward either, for instance if there were 16 this morning and 16 in the afternoon why was I in the afternoon when I'm 12 in oom? Your head would melt assuming anything when it comes to the Public Service.

There is also alot of recruitment for clerical positons in public sector which requires vetting.

• Advertisement

There is also alot of recruitment for clerical positons in public sector which requires vetting.

I was never vetted for civil service unless it's changed.

Advertisement