Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Tommy61 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that vetting is the responsibility of An Garda Siochana and they are also currently recruiting as are the DF to the sum of 900! There will be more than one desk vetting but I would assume if any sense was being used that different organisations would be prioritised according to urgency of time line? Plus the numbers involved in IPS are relatively small, I mean how hard can it be to vet the first 40?
    Could simply be down to the IPS relationship with the Gardai or whether the Gardai are just looking after themselves first? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way we are called forward either, for instance if there were 16 this morning and 16 in the afternoon why was I in the afternoon when I'm 12 in oom? Your head would melt assuming anything when it comes to the Public Service.

The prison staff today said a northern Ireland crowd were vetting us so that rules out what you said. Maybe the class allocation for physical today was based on how quick you replied to confirm attendance. If April doesn't happen that is a mighty long wait to August, 13 months since the competition went live.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

The prison staff today said a northern Ireland crowd were vetting us so that rules out what you said. Maybe the class allocation for physical today was based on how quick you replied to confirm attendance. If April doesn't happen that is a mighty long wait to August, 13 months since the competition went live.
    I highly dought that a crowd in Northern Ireland are vetting us before we went down for the pct today the chief officer told is that it was the Garda siochana which if you think about it,it couldn't be any other way unless Garda are subcontracting vetting out well parts of it to civilians but I highly don't think so

I highly dought that a crowd in Northern Ireland are vetting us before we went down for the pct today the chief officer told is that it was the Garda siochana which if you think about it,it couldn't be any other way unless Garda are subcontracting vetting out well parts of it to civilians but I highly don't think so

Well unless I heard things that's what he said. Either way there is no excuse for not having the top 40 vetted between now and April 24th let alone vetting apparently started months ago! August start date would be sickening.

For the information of the people who weren't there today there is a orientation day scheduled to take place in the west Dublin prison campus at the end of this month this is compulsory and you will shadow a prison officer for the day on his duties to see if it's for you this date is likely to only be for candidates starting in April depending in Garda clearance also I spoke to hr in relation to rent allowance and apparently it is going to be incorporated into our basic pay which is better because it brings all allowances up too all the info I have just given was from a telephone conversation I had which the guy in staff and corporate services he phone me in response to an email I sent him yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

For the information of the people who weren't there today there is a orientation day scheduled to take place in the west Dublin prison campus at the end of this month this is compulsory and you will shadow a prison officer for the day on his duties to see if it's for you this date is likely to only be for candidates starting in April depending in Garda clearance also I spoke to hr in relation to rent allowance and apparently it is going to be incorporated into our basic pay which is better because it brings all allowances up too all the info I have just given was from a telephone conversation I had which the guy in staff and corporate services he phone me in response to an email I sent him yesterday

Thanks for that info.I wonder how much the rent allowance being incorporated into basic pay will increase earnings by,impossible to know at this stage I'd say.It appears to be similar to deal garda got last year.At the time of their deal I heard the same that it will bring other allowances up such as unsociable hours allowance and also overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I was never vetted for civil service unless it's changed.

Every civil servant is vetted before they start and this has been the case for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Every civil servant is vetted before they start and this has been the case for a long long time.

Vetting for Dept of Justice is different, i've worked for them twice and had seperate vetting each time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

your slightly confused on that, its not a Northern Ireland crowd that is vetting. Its is the a section with Northern Ireland in their name that are vetting you but they are still the guards. If i remember rightly its "Security and Northern Ireland division" in the Dept of Justice.

Vetting for Dept of Justice is different, i've worked for them twice and had seperate vetting each time.

Yes but still every civil servant is vetted before they join, if you are to work in a role in a prison or the guards and you were in Social Welfare lets say then yes you will have to be vetted again.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Yes but still every civil servant is vetted before they join, if you are to work in a role in a prison or the guards and you were in Social Welfare lets say then yes you will have to be vetted again.

Whether vetted or not it's peripheral to this topic. I'm a civil servant along time also worked in justice. I don't recall being vetted when I joined at all. They were literally dragging people in off the streets they needed that many staff. They can break all the rules when they wish. Sure the prison service scrapped the physical before, they needed staff that desperately!

• Advertisement

Have the nxt batch got pct dates? and also will the people who failed get a chance to do the test again before the first intake in april?

I'm mid 50s oom and I haven't got word on pct.Id imagine it's a few months away if some people in top 40 could be in August class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jakenpo

I am in the 90s on the oom, so I can pretty much forget about starting this year I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Jakenpo wrote: »
    I am in the 90s on the oom, so I can pretty much forget about starting this year I take it?

Don't bet against it.

If only 20 or so drop out or fail the PCTs then you could move up the list fairly rapidly. I'm also getting the feeling that there could be more people brought in sooner rather than later as retirements are streaming out at the moment.

Jakenpo wrote: »

After the first pct recently there is 25 still standing with a few more to repeat.It appears a few were called at short notice so maybe first 45 were called for pct,thats just guesswork.First 40 were definetly called for it.
    Some will decide job isn't for them after induction day in prison and as you go further into panel maybe more dropouts as time passes.
    The impression I get is that they are taking in big numbers next year and year after but not this year(unless they change their mind).There is also pasos who will be trained this year so less need to dip into the panel for recruits.
    I still think you are in with a shout for this year though.

i would esitmate that aroun 32 did the pct with 8 failing but they will be able repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jakenpo

It's going to be a long wait. Must be a year now since the recruitment started and still no one has actually started

god only knows when our vetting will come back now

ok folks a bit of info for ye letters to the people that passed to attend an induction day on 25 of march in wheatfield prison will propbly be on yer doors steps tomorrow

Yep 25th 9am to 2pm, lunch provided, civilian clothes. Vetting started in December just got confirmation of this. There will be space for double figures in the April class for RPOs provided vetting is back in time. It was also confirmed that whoever's vetting returns first will get first dibs in April. But there is no guarantee vetting will be back by then.

• Advertisement

Vetting should ideally be back few weeks before April class to give current employers notice but that doesn't seem to be likely so IPS might just give ye few days notice before starting as has happened in the past.

what do you mean vetting started in april? did you get an email about it or somthing?

vetting started in december sorry

vetting started in december sorry

I rang and confirmed vetting started in December after the interviews our names were passed over to the vetting unit... I just can't understand why it isn't back yet. There is a possibility none of us will start until August!

she told me on the phone there that they have a meeting with them next wek im just sfraid that if theres a mistake or somthing at this late stage your vetting will have to start all over again

she told me on the phone there that they have a meeting with them next wek im just sfraid that if theres a mistake or somthing at this late stage your vetting will have to start all over again

Top 78 would have had their vetting sent forward in December. But only the top 40ish are being considered for April plus the people who failed PCT will now be overtaken plus a few who dropped out prior to PCT so there is only 25 or so of us being considered for April now with only space for about a dozen of us maybe a few more so it's about a 50/50 chance now of getting into that class. With so many retirements surely they can't afford to push us back to August!

a dozen???? why is there still more pasos to train in april?

Yes admin staff will be in that class... Capacity of 20 or thereabouts but that includes the Paso's..

There is because for some reason they aren't training them all together in the class that starts this month.
    I think they were meant to start training last year but that got cancelled due to delay in vetting.

• Advertisement

There is a class starting next Monday the 20th? I heard that from one person starting then and they said that only 8 people were signed up at that point for the training, that was early last week i was told this.

Advertisement