Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jakenpo

Harambe1 wrote: »
    Im just waiting. Somebody above mentioned they had to complete a medical by Tuesday so there must be some movement again up the numbers of merit i assume

I got a letter to have the medical in by next Tuesday, I'm 90 in merit so they are at least that far along.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

Jakenpo wrote: »
    Harambe1 wrote: »
    Im just waiting. Somebody above mentioned they had to complete a medical by Tuesday so there must be some movement again up the numbers of merit i assume

I got a letter to have the medical in by next Tuesday, I'm 90 in merit so they are at least that far along.
    Thanks Jakenpo, I really appreciate your response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

Up to 80 in oom have pct done so I'd guess 81 to 120 got letter for medical.Two batches of 40 were called before for medical anyway.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-05-04a.154&s=irish+prison+service#g156.r

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

Up to 80 in oom have pct done so I'd guess 81 to 120 got letter for medical.Two batches of 40 were called before for medical anyway.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-05-04a.154&s=irish+prison+service#g156.r
    Thanks Newtothis, it would be handier if tbe stuff came via email like the correspondance from the Public Appointments service. At this stage its almost a year since I first applied so I guess I can wait a bit more. Much appreciated information

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The guards started roughly recruiting the same time, they are now recruiting another drive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

User16 wrote: »
    Anyone get called for stage 2 that was higher than 1100?? I didn't get one. Was just wondering how far up they went...thanks in advance

I'm 1329 and got email today for stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭harris33

got email today aswell im 1346

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

I'm 1560, I'll never get called. :( I failed 1 of 4 tests at stage 2 in Guards in Feb and waited for new campaign, it came out last WK, now I'm too old by a few months. Dammit, can't catch a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Spingill

Question for top 80 people please.
    What was timeframe between medical completion date and PCT date?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I'm 604 wondering is it worth my while taking the day off of work to go up to it and sit stage 2 how many are they hoping to take on in the next few years does anyone know ?

• Advertisement

I'm 604 wondering is it worth my while taking the day off of work to go up to it and sit stage 2 how many are they hoping to take on in the next few years does anyone know ?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

User16 wrote: »
    I'm 1560, I'll never get called. :( I failed 1 of 4 tests at stage 2 in Guards in Feb and waited for new campaign, it came out last WK, now I'm too old by a few months. Dammit, can't catch a break...

I'd be willing to bet that you will be called. Might take 12 months but I have no doubt that they'll reach your number.

Talking about in the region of 300 but a lot more than that needed - as in a whole lot more!! . Even if they only reach 400 I reckon you'd easily be amongst that. Fall off rate is fairly high and a lot of the same people go for both Gardai and POs'.

I'd be willing to bet that you will be called. Might take 12 months but I have no doubt that they'll reach your number.

Talking about in the region of 300 but a lot more than that needed - as in a whole lot more!! . Even if they only reach 400 I reckon you'd easily be amongst that. Fall off rate is fairly high and a lot of the same people go for both Gardai and POs'.

While I want to be a po a friend of mine went for guards around the same time as me and yet has been in for 2 months or so training, their time from start to finish is a lot quicker and am now considering applying for their current drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

While I want to be a po a friend of mine went for guards around the same time as me and yet has been in for 2 months or so training, their time from start to finish is a lot quicker and am now considering applying for their current drive

It appears that it's the Garda vetting that's held up a lot of the progress of the PO recruitment. So many Government departments are recruiting that it's impossibly slow. In that situation I'd say that the Garda vetting dept has prioritised one particular sector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 BillClay

Hi , could someone who has completed the PCT tell me when doing the 40 shuttles do the instructors tell you how many you have left to run and the time you have left

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

BillClay wrote: »
    Hi , could someone who has completed the PCT tell me when doing the 40 shuttles do the instructors tell you how many you have left to run and the time you have left

Yeah they do. They tell you after every 10 runs usually

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

250 in 2018 apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

How many in 2017 do you know ? Career Services running an online course for stage 2 with a good bit of practice material on it think Il go for it as it's been so long since I done them first set of tests

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Leanne7011

How many in 2017 do you know ? Career Services running an online course for stage 2 with a good bit of practice material on it think Il go for it as it's been so long since I done them first set of tests

If you buy that let me know what you think of it. Because its been so long I don't know if it meets the level required for stage 2. I messaged them and they said it does but from what I remember stage 1 was harder. I could be wrong though so I'd like to see what others think of it before I put all my time into practicing it.

I came low 180s after stage 1 and I bought online career services course for stage 2.I remember thinking after it was a waste of money.The reason for thinking that is because the examples they gave were alot simpler than the questions we had to answer in test.
    It might though be slightly more beneficial now since it was so long since ye last sat stage 1 but as I say examples they gave weren't near enough difficult in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I came low 180s after stage 1 and I bought online career services course for stage 2.I remember thinking after it was a waste of money.The reason for thinking that is because the examples they gave were alot simpler than the questions we had to answer in test.
    It might though be slightly more beneficial now since it was so long since ye last sat stage 1 but as I say examples they gave weren't near enough difficult in my opinion.

Thank you! I knew I wasn't imagining it, it was a complete waste of money. I dont think it has changed since last year, theyre only adding new tests by the end of this week that will be a bit more difficult.

Can you recommend anything for practice with numerical reasoning?

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    Thank you! I knew I wasn't imagining it, it was a complete waste of money. I dont think it has changed since last year, theyre only adding new tests by the end of this week that will be a bit more difficult.

Can you recommend anything for practice with numerical reasoning?

No problem.Yeah,the more I think about it I was raging I spent the 90 euro or whatever it was.
    I think I googled numerical reasoning and looked at a few examples although it was limited the number of examples I could find from what I remember.
    You should be fine at stage 2,its just to make sure it was you that sat stage 1 so as long as you get a similar score in numerical and verbal you will pass.
    For assessment questionnaire the pass mark is 400,at least,it was last time.

No problem.Yeah,the more I think about it I was raging I spent the 90 euro or whatever it was.
    I think I googled numerical reasoning and looked at a few examples although it was limited the number of examples I could find from what I remember.
    You should be fine at stage 2,its just to make sure it was you that sat stage 1 so as long as you get a similar score in numerical and verbal you will pass.
    For assessment questionnaire the pass mark is 400,at least,it was last time.

OK thanks a million. I only just about made it through with the maths in stage 1 so I'll need a bit of practice.

Will only the best from stage 2 go through to interview and not just if you match your score from stage 1? Surely they can't bring everyone through to stage 3

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    OK thanks a million. I only just about made it through with the maths in stage 1 so I'll need a bit of practice.

Will only the best from stage 2 go through to interview and not just if you match your score from stage 1? Surely they can't bring everyone through to stage 3

I think as long as you match verbal and numerical and get over 400 in assessment questionnaire you will get through but Im not 100% on that.I didnt pass numerical by much either in stage 1,it was the rest that brought me up.Most find the numerical the hardest and what relevance it has to the job I dont know.
    Its so long since stage 1,I think there could be alot of no shows which is a plus for anyone serious about the job.
    Best of luck with it.

I think as long as you match verbal and numerical and get over 400 in assessment questionnaire you will get through but Im not 100% on that.I didnt pass numerical by much either in stage 1,it was the rest that brought me up.Most find the numerical the hardest and what relevance it has to the job I dont know.
    Its so long since stage 1,I think there could be alot of no shows which is a plus for anyone serious about the job.
    Best of luck with it.

Well that gives me some peace of mind. I've definitely improved on verbal reasoning and I got very high on the job stimulation section. So once that's quite similar I should be OK.

When they called my group forward a couple of weeks back we had until the following Wednesday to ring to confirm. I would say a good few never rang because the same day they called another lot forward. Thanks again.

You will also have people who rang up and wont turn up on the day..it was the case at my stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

Could some who knows about stage 2 go through whats actually involved in it?
    I have found a lot of conflicting reports of what goes on at the assessment center.
    Is it true you can use a calculator?
    Is a suit worn on the day?
    What tests are administered and how hard did you find them compared stage 1 test?

brian00278 wrote: »
    Could some who knows about stage 2 go through whats actually involved in it?
    I have found a lot of conflicting reports of what goes on at the assessment center.
    Is it true you can use a calculator?
    Is a suit worn on the day?
    What tests are administered and how hard did you find them compared stage 1 test?

You can wear casual on the day and you can use a calculator from what I remember.
    The difficulty of the tests I found were the same as stage 1 but I dont remember anything about the questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Can anyone here remember what type of Numerical testing program we got tested on? I'm thinking it was SHL but can't be sure ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkonian41

Yeah that's right. Any news on confirmation of test next week?

Advertisement