Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Yeah that's right. Any news on confirmation of test next week?

Was just checking for a mate, did mine in november and couldn't remember.. My bud has stage 2 next week if that's what your wondering?

Cheers for confirming it was SHL also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkonian41

No problem, tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Can someone post or pm me a breakdown of pay, what allowances are payable and how much theye are worth. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

It was posted before in the thread that salary and allowances bring it up to 33,000 euro in probation year and I've heard whether true or false that all recruits this year are being put on 360 AH band which is approx 8,000 euro so 41,000 euro.
    If rent allowance is put into salary that will increase the overtime but I haven't a clue by how much.
    We should know by next week also if 10% cut to salary is reversed,from what I gather it's not likely that it will be reversed but I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It was posted before in the thread that salary and allowances bring it up to 33,000 euro in probation year and I've heard whether true or false that all recruits this year are being put on 360 AH band which is approx 8,000 euro so 41,000 euro.
    If rent allowance is put into salary that will increase the overtime but I haven't a clue by how much.
    We should know by next week also if 10% cut to salary is reversed,from what I gather it's not likely that it will be reversed but I hope I'm wrong.

iirc the rent allowence back before it was taken was 180e fortnightly

• Advertisement

iirc the rent allowence back before it was taken was 180e fortnightly

POA also looking for extra 500 euro garda got.
    I've heard on news that instead of getting 10% cut reversed new recruits will have to contribute less towards pension because pension isnt as valuable as those that joined public service pre 2013.
    Find out next week if pay talks finish then.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Stage 2 tommorow don't really know what to expect its been that long since I sat stage one think il fall at numerical as bearly passed that first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭harris33

stage 2 tommorow.how did lads get on today?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/public-servants-set-for-pay-boost-of-up-to-10pc-as-deal-is-finally-brokered-35801910.html

10% cut to salary remains and it will be examined within first year of deal but that's probably just a token gesture and it will never be reversed.

How did everyone get on? I've stage two tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

English was handy but I was blown away by the maths, I bought the Prison Officer package off Kilroy College and was using their numerical reasoning test as practice and it was nothing like stage two, you're very short on time and from talking to other people after they found the maths difficult to.

Did stage two this morning. Think it went well.. I was wrecked though wad working last night on night night duty and had to head straight to the train for a 3 hours journey and couldn't sleep... wrecked so I am... let's hope I sleep on the way home now on the train. Advice I'd give is work as quickly and accurate as you can and you should be fine. The IPS presentation from prison staff was very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Leanne7011

brian00278 wrote: »
    English was handy but I was blown away by the maths, I bought the Prison Officer package off Kilroy College and was using their numerical reasoning test as practice and it was nothing like stage two, you're very short on time and from talking to other people after they found the maths difficult to.

I bought the package off career services and the level was nothing like it was at stage 2. I feel like I guessed most answers and I only just past stage one with the maths. Do we get to interview stage if we meet our stage 1 level or is it only the best that get brought forward?

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    I bought the package off career services and the level was nothing like it was at stage 2. I feel like I guessed most answers and I only just past stage one with the maths. Do we get to interview stage if we meet our stage 1 level or is it only the best that get brought forward?

top 600 i believe were asked for stage two

top 600 i believe were asked for stage two

Thanks. How many of the 600 will get to interview stage? Is it a matter of only meeting your results from stage 1 or is it the top few from this 600?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    Thanks. How many of the 600 will get to interview stage? Is it a matter of only meeting your results from stage 1 or is it the top few from this 600?

Was wondering the same thing myself I say it's only first hundred or two. Done stage 2 today hard to know how he went

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Was wondering the same thing myself I say it's only first hundred or two. Done stage 2 today hard to know how he went

I found the verbal fine, but the numerical was tough with the time limit. Looking forward to the results

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oz74

Spoke with a helpful lady by phone at the IPS, as I am waiting for the physical test. Unfortunately she said there were none planned for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Those increases only become incorporated if the deal is ratified by the POA members.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance of that happening...

• Advertisement

Those increases only become incorporated if the deal is ratified by the POA members.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance of that happening...

Oh right,is that because new entrants 10% pay cut wasn't reversed or maybe a combination of reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Oh right,is that because new entrants 10% pay cut wasn't reversed or maybe a combination of reasons?

A combination of reasons.

The main one being we entered a round of pay discussions which were based on pay restoration (and advertised as such) but due to the pension changes we will end up at best on the same level but looks more likely on less pay.

To be fair i haven't seen the figures yet, the union appear to be dragging their heels on this one which from past experience doesn't augur well.

If Officers don't see significant upturn in their take-home the deal won't be ratified. It wont make any difference in the grand scheme of things obviously as SIPTU will walk this thing in either way. But as I said, if the POA members dont ratify then they wont be subject to the terms of the agreement.

Rather baffling (but not surprising) that the Garda voted to remain outside the LRA but yet secured themselves an increase (fair play, i'm not knocking them for that) yet the Prison Officers MUST agree to the deal or be at a loss of the extra payment. :confused:

A combination of reasons.

The main one being we entered a round of pay discussions which were based on pay restoration (and advertised as such) but due to the pension changes we will end up at best on the same level but looks more likely on less pay.

To be fair i haven't seen the figures yet, the union appear to be dragging their heels on this one which from past experience doesn't augur well.

If Officers don't see significant upturn in their take-home the deal won't be ratified. It wont make any difference in the grand scheme of things obviously as SIPTU will walk this thing in either way. But as I said, if the POA members dont ratify then they wont be subject to the terms of the agreement.

Rather baffling (but not surprising) that the Garda voted to remain outside the LRA but yet secured themselves an increase (fair play, i'm not knocking them for that) yet the Prison Officers MUST agree to the deal or be at a loss of the extra payment. :confused:

Hopefully it will be resolved in favour of prison officers.
    I always thought the 10% pay cut for new recruits wouldn't be reversed because they are only the minority and the people sitting around the table negotiating the pay deal obviously didn't join public sector since 2013 so it doesn't affect their pockets.

Hopefully it will be resolved in favour of prison officers.
    I always thought the 10% pay cut for new recruits wouldn't be reversed because they are only the minority and the people sitting around the table negotiating the pay deal obviously didn't join public sector since 2013 so it doesn't affect their pockets.

the problem is the prisons are already pretty short staffed despite what ips says, and with a few hundred more set to retire in the next few years new blood is needed

Anyone know how long it takes for stage 2 results

Anyone know how long it takes for stage 2 results

First week or early July I'm sure they said

• Registered Users Posts: 39 OskerWilde!

Just got called for stage 2 even though I thought I was out as my number was way down.
    Just started a new PA job that I really like.
    Oh god...🙈
    Anyone else get called???

Just got called for stage 2 even though I thought I was out as my number was way down.
    Just started a new PA job that I really like.
    Oh god...🙈
    Anyone else get called???

Do you mind me asking what roughtly number you were after stage 1? Like 1000-1500 , 1500-2000

• Registered Users Posts: 39 OskerWilde!

Ye, I was just over 1500!!
    Now everyone is telling me I'd be mad to keep going with it! I'd like to test myself anyway and see how I'd get on though the tests...
    "What's for you, won't pass you" was always my motto

• Advertisement

Ye, I was 1548!!
    Now everyone is telling me I'd be mad to keep going with it! I'd like to test myself anyway and see how I'd get on though the tests...
    "What's for you, won't pass you" was always my motto

Ah cool, yeah your dead right. I was in mid 600s after stage 1, hopefully I passed stage two!

Advertisement