Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 splarutd

i passed interview in Nov .. still waiting on vetting and physical !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bez85

splarutd wrote: »
    i passed interview in Nov .. still waiting on vetting and physical !!

Serious? I've a while to wait yet so. Have you done your medical?

Yeah I passed medical a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Member16

splarutd wrote: »
    Yeah I passed medical a few weeks ago

What number are you on the panel if you don't mind me asking? Not exact number but roughly?

120 ish I think. So long since I done interview I can't remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Member16

I would say once they have finished refurbishing the training college and accommodation we will see recruitment picking up some pace. Hopefully

Member16 wrote: »
    I would say once they have finished refurbishing the training college and accommodation we will see recruitment picking up some pace. Hopefully

Hope ur right ....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeHorse88

Passed Stage 2 in July still waiting on Stage 3 Interview..I rang them and they said they would be holding more interviews in November but wouldn't give any info on what order of merit placing would be. I'm currently at 553. Anyone know roughly how many would have completed the interview so far and any other advice for Stage 3?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Leanne7011

DeHorse88 wrote: »
    Passed Stage 2 in July still waiting on Stage 3 Interview..I rang them and they said they would be holding more interviews in November but wouldn't give any info on what order of merit placing would be. I'm currently at 553. Anyone know roughly how many would have completed the interview so far and any other advice for Stage 3?? Thanks.

I was mid or late 300s, I can't remember, but I done my interview. I would say you'll be called for interview in the next batch to go forward.

Advice - know the competencies and give examples where you have showed them in your life/work life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

Due to work commitments I asked for my interview to take place on one of the last days they had available which was mid august and I'm in the 170's on the OOM, so I'm guessing I'm one of the last to pass the interview so I'd say around 180 odd people have passed the interview until they hold new ones.

Also before my interview I booked a tour of a Prison and I was told by the ACO who took me around that a new competition will start while this current competition is on going and that you can apply for the new one as well as currently being in this competition, he told me to apply anyway just in case I fall down on the interview/medical/physical.

I also did a Stage 3 prep course and I met a few lads who passed Stage 2 but had not been called for interview and were told just to be on standby so you're saying that November is the next batch of interviews so again just guessing it sounds like they are getting to the end of this panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Great Mate

Order of merit is based on the entire competition once you pass your interview. Public Jobs and IPS both confirmed this when I rang. The number who have passed the interview goes into the 200's so far but I am not sure of the exact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

Does anybody know the net pay while you are in the training phase?

Also I notice that a lot of officers seem to wear short sleeve shirts. What is the policy on visible tattoos in the Prison Service do you have to cover up in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Qucik question for people who did the doctor medical, in the email it says the prison service pays for it but you pay for the audiogram, did people pay the doc and send a reciept to the ips or do the doctor bill them directly? and if so what address, asking cos i got a bill in the mail from the doc today

Qucik question for people who did the doctor medical, in the email it says the prison service pays for it but you pay for the audiogram, did people pay the doc and send a reciept to the ips or do the doctor bill them directly? and if so what address, asking cos i got a bill in the mail from the doc today
    Paid for the audiogram myself. I told the receptionist in the doctors that the IPS pick up the tab after she wanted me to pay in the surgery so I showed her the email where it states this information and she called the IPS in longford (phone number in email) they confirmed that they pick up the tab and receptionist invoiced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

brian00278 wrote: »
    Due to work commitments I asked for my interview to take place on one of the last days they had available which was mid august and I'm in the 170's on the OOM, so I'm guessing I'm one of the last to pass the interview so I'd say around 180 odd people have passed the interview until they hold new ones.

Also before my interview I booked a tour of a Prison and I was told by the ACO who took me around that a new competition will start while this current competition is on going and that you can apply for the new one as well as currently being in this competition, he told me to apply anyway just in case I fall down on the interview/medical/physical.

I also did a Stage 3 prep course and I met a few lads who passed Stage 2 but had not been called for interview and were told just to be on standby so you're saying that November is the next batch of interviews so again just guessing it sounds like they are getting to the end of this panel.

Did they say when the new comp would be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Harambe1 wrote: »

Also I notice that a lot of officers seem to wear short sleeve shirts. What is the policy on visible tattoos in the Prison Service do you have to cover up in work?

No problem. Tattoos commonplace. No policy on coverups but long-sleeved shirts are available should you wish.

Harambe1 wrote: »

No problem. Tattoos commonplace. No policy on coverups but long-sleeved shirts are available should you wish.
    Thanks for that Lawros Tache, I wondered alright. All of the pictures online seem to show PO's wearing short sleeved shirts. Good to know there are options!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

A second training centre, to be based in Wheatfield, has been agreed. Supposedly this will enable the IPS to double up on the number of recruits that they can take on over the next 12 months so should be good news for some.

Can anyone tell me up to what number in order of merit have gone into college on the 25th of September.

The next training date is the 8th of January 2018 on the IPS website. Trying to figure out where I stand.

A second training centre, to be based in Wheatfield, has been agreed. Supposedly this will enable the IPS to double up on the number of recruits that they can take on over the next 12 months so should be good news for some.
    Great news if its true. Do you mind me asking where you heard it?

• Advertisement

Recruit Prison Officer
    The final Recruit Prison Officer intake for 2017 for Semester 1 of the Higher Certificate in Custodial Care commenced on 25 September 2017. The following table outlines the provisional dates for commencement of Semester 1 of the Higher Certificate in Custodial Care for Recruit Prison Officer intakes in 2018:

Irish Prison Service College, Portlaoise West Dublin Training Centre, WheatfieldGroup 1 / 2018 08 January 2018 16 February 2018 19 February 2018 06 April 2018 Group 2 / 2018 15 January 2018 23 February 2018 26 February 2018 13 April 2018 Group 3 / 2018 26 February 2018 13 April 2018 16 April 2018 25 May 2018 Group 4 / 2018 05 March 2018 20 April 2018 23 April 2018 01 Jun 2018
    The first six weeks of training in Semester 1 will take place in the Irish Prison Service College, Portlaoise and the second six weeks of training will take place in our Training Centre in West Dublin, on the Wheatfield site.

Anybody any idea the numbers per intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Great Mate wrote: »
    Great news if its true. Do you mind me asking where you heard it?

Came out on a POA announcement from an NEC meeting.
    Great Mate wrote: »
    Anybody any idea the numbers per intake?

Usually 20 per class with 2 classes running at a time but not sure if that's the case at the moment.

My friend got the text to book for interview yesterday. Oom early 500s.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colette1982

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    My friend got the text to book for interview yesterday. Oom early 500s.

Me too ðŸ˜

Me too ðŸ˜

When does interviews begin? Early November?? I'm 551 so shouldn't be far away

When does interviews begin? Early November?? I'm 551 so shouldn't be far away

They mailed yesterday and said they are starting the 16th of Nov , then mailed today and said they are starting the 6th . So you will prob hear soon. I was 509 on the panel

They mailed yesterday and said they are starting the 16th of Nov , then mailed today and said they are starting the 6th . So you will prob hear soon. I was 509 on the panel

Does anyone know of anyone that does mock interviews in the Tipperary area??

Does anyone know of anyone that does mock interviews in the Tipperary area??

Career services held a prep day in Dublin before the last round of interviews. I couldn't recommend them enough. If there is enough interest they might hold one again. My group had 16 in it so enough interest probably means around that number again. It cost 160, but well worth it.

If they don't hold another one then anyone with experience with competency based interviews can help.

• Advertisement

Morning.

When going for interview is it just the security form and qualification certs we need to bring with us ?

Advertisement