Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hi folks. Just wondering about medical and wearing glasses? Is it a major issue or anything?

must have uncorrected vision of 6/20 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bentley17 wrote: »
    But it should be equally difficult. As it stands the test is much easier for young males than it is for older females therefore it's not an equal test.

Gender quotas are dumb. The test is uniform. It's the same for everyone. It's actually antidiscriminatory by its very nature. It's also very passable if you aren't an overly obese individual. Ridiculous postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bentley17

Omackeral wrote: »
    Gender quotas are dumb. The test is uniform. It's the same for everyone. It's actually antidiscriminatory by its very nature. It's also very passable if you aren't an overly obese individual. Ridiculous postings.

Do you agreed that men and women are physically different?

Irrelevant.

Look the test, which I've completed and passed, is p*ss easy and anyone that is in any way fit or basically able to jog a small bit will breeze it. If you need certain standards lowered to accomodate people, you're not emplying the best man or woman for the job. There are plenty of women in the job that would run circles around me by the way. Quotas are dumb and thankfully not used in the Prison Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Do you agreed that men and women are physically different?

If you are an area of the prison being assaulted, would you rather an officer who can run there quickly and get the offender off you, or someone with life experience being able to talk to you over the radio?

• Advertisement

Irrelevant.

Look the test, which I've completed and passed, is p*ss easy and anyone that is in any way fit or basically able to jog a small bit will breeze it. If you need certain standards lowered to accomodate people, you're not emplying the best man or woman for the job. There are plenty of women in the job that would run circles around me by the way. Quotas are dumb and thankfully not used in the Prison Service.
    Can you answer the question?

If you are an area of the prison being assaulted, would you rather an officer who can run there quickly and get the offender off you, or someone with life experience being able to talk to you over the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Men and women are absolutely physically different, of course.

However, you are completely missing the point if you believe that a pass/fail physical test should pose the same level of "difficulty" to different individuals.

The point is to prove that you are physically capable of doing the job safely and effectively, meeting to be honest bare minimum requirements. It isn't a game show where your winnings depend on how fast you can run or how much you can lift.

Men and women are absolutely physically different, of course.

However, you are completely missing the point if you believe that a pass/fail physical test should pose the same level of "difficulty" to different individuals.

The point is to prove that you are physically capable of doing the job safely and effectively, meeting to be honest bare minimum requirements. It isn't a game show where your winnings depend on how fast you can run or how much you can lift.
    Thank you for answering the question. We have now established that they are physically different, which proves my point that the test discriminates against women & older men.

I did. I answered it by saying token quotas don't work if you're looking for the best equipped people for the job. There's a standard to meet and that's that. On a side note, I'm a serving prison officer with 10 years of experience. I've a fair idea what I'm talking about what it comes to this line of work.

• Advertisement

Thank you for answering the question. We have now established that they are physically different, which proves my point that the test discriminates against women & older men.

Does it discriminate against people in wheelchairs and/or blind people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

The fitness level required to pass the test is modest, age and gender are no barriers to passing it.

I did. I answered it by saying token quotas don't work if you're looking for the best equipped people for the job. There's a standard to meet and that's that. On a side note, I'm a serving prison officer with 10 years of experience. I've a fair idea what I'm talking about what it comes to this line of work.
    I wouldn’t agree with token/gender quotas either, but I do think the ips is leaving itself open to legal challenges as other government bodies (Garda/army) do recognise that it would be discrimination, that is why they have different levels of Pct for different groups even when everyone is doing the same job,

No it doesn't. If the test is identical for men and women, it is absolutely as fair as it can be.

No it doesn't. If the test is identical for men and women, it is absolutely as fair as it can be.

The p in pct stands for physical, as men & women are physically different they require a different physical test to be “fair”.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

The p in pct stands for physical, as men & women are physically different they require a different physical test to be “fair”.

Aw, its not fair!

I think this troll has been fed enough at this stage.

Perhaps you should consider taking a case against IPS for discrimination, I presume you plan on failing PCT

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing in life, I'm sure some employer is actively recruiting for a nonsensical whinger.

No they don't have to be different. It is a minimum standard required for you own and everyone elses safety. To be honest, it's a pretty low bar. If you can't pass it, it's not the job for you.

Let's assume that the test as it stands for everyone (men and women) was determined based off minimum requirements that women needed to achieve. The fact that men easily pass this minimum requirement is irrelevant.

Do you think that the difficulty of the test should be unnecessarily increased in order to fail men who would otherwise pass? Doesn't sound very equal to me. Remember, this is the bare minimum requirement, men and women are not being compared here, it is a pass or fail test.

wexfjord wrote: »
    Aw, its not fair!

I think this troll has been fed enough at this stage.

Perhaps you should consider taking a case against IPS for discrimination, I presume you plan on failing PCT

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing in life, I'm sure some employer is actively recruiting for a nonsensical whinger.
    Boo hoo snowflake ❄️😭

I wouldn’t agree with token/gender quotas either, but I do think the ips is leaving itself open to legal challenges as other government bodies (Garda/army) do recognise that it would be discrimination, that is why they have different levels of Pct for different groups even when everyone is doing the same job,

Say there's a 19 Stone prisoner and he is barricaded into a cell that's on fire. Imagine he loses his life because the person that responded wasn't physically capable of moving him but they passed him/her through the test because they didn't wanna upset them. Get off the stage! There's certain criteria that needs to be met. That's really all it boils down to.

Say there's a 19 Stone prisoner and he is barricaded into a cell that's on fire. Imagine he loses his life because the person that responded wasn't physically capable of moving him but they passed him/her through the test because they didn't wanna upset them. Get off the stage! There's certain criteria that needs to be met. That's really all it boils down to.
    Whether an RPO, P.O., ACO or a CO I’m sure you officer Omackeral are comfortable and feel safe working alongside fellow officers knowing that only a minority have ever done a PCT and regardless of the PCT, they are all excellent officers. I look forward to working with all new recruits, man, woman, young or old as long as they have a level head.
    On a footnote. You would have been trained in CSRE and therefore know you would never enter a cell alone and would have the full support of your team.

• Advertisement

On a footnote. You would have been trained in CSRE and therefore know you would never enter a cell alone and would have the full support of your team.

On a footnote, sometimes training goes out the window in certain situations and instincts take over. Anyway, that's enough from me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Great Mate

On a more upbeat note, best of luck to everyone beginning their training on Monday, and of course to anyone over the next few weeks also.

On a footnote, sometimes training goes out the window in certain situations and instincts take over. Anyway, that's enough from me on this.

Protocols, procedures & training are in place to protect officers , you should never deviate from these as you would only place yourself & team at risk.

Protocols, procedures & training are in place to protect officers , you should never deviate from these as you would only place yourself & team at risk.

Sound. You tell that to someone who's being doing this 18 or 19 years when it all goes tits up sometime. There's always a new person that comes in and thinks they know everything. Every single group has one. Try not let it be you.

Sound. You tell that to someone who's being doing this 18 or 19 years when it all goes tits up sometime. There's always a new person that comes in and thinks they know everything. Every single group has one. Try not let it be you.

Your not painting a good picture of long standing officers including yourself with 10 years experience by saying that you don’t follow procedures. Try and set a good example would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Your not painting a good picture of long standing officers including yourself with 10 years experience by saying that you don’t follow procedures. Try and set a good example would be my advice.

Jesus Christ Bentley!!!! You are coming across like a bloody horrendous person to be working alongside !!
    I pity your work colleagues already

hawkelady wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Bentley!!!! You are coming across like a bloody horrendous person to be working alongside !!
    I pity your work colleagues already

Oh you make me laugh officer omackeral
    Thank you thank you

Oh you make me laugh officer omackeral
    Thank you thank you

That wasn't me. Work on your core observation and comprehension skills would be my advice, not to mention your attitude. You're going on ignore now.

That wasn't me. Work on your core observation and comprehension skills would be my advice, not to mention your attitude. You're going on ignore now.

I sincerely apologise officer omackeral, but I had tears in my eyes from laughing at hawkeladys comment. On the plus side at least I can admit when I am wrong unlike the other snowflakes

• Advertisement

One last thing on this. I don't need or want your advice whatsoever, I'm at this a long while now and know what I'm doing. That's not to say I know everything but I reckon I know a bit more than someone not even in the door.

As for your notion that I should try to set an example. Well I'm currently a mentor to new recruits at the moment. One of the competencies you are taught is to be flexible and open to change, that's pretty much covering what I said about sometimes having to deviate from the black and white should a situation arise. In prison, that happens. It's part of jail life. New recruits are informed of this.

I've done an AMA on here that was very well received by most of the readers so I'll value their feedback over someone with a handful of posts and a thin discrimination agenda.

I also do yearly talks to a class of PLC students in my own time so I'm happy to give back to people who are genuinely interested. Finally, I've given plenty of advice to posters on this thread via PM of what the job entails and they've been very thankful for it.

If you're a troll, that's sad. If you're not, that's sadder.

Advertisement